Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 03-27-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
scrounger

Send a message via AIM to scrounger
weight belts

Do most of you other freedivers wear your weight around your waist like myself you or do you have another configurations. I hear of some divers making an over the shoulder and around the rib deal. Just wanted to know what every one else uses.
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:10 AM   #2
frogman

Weight

Most of us here in Florida use just a weight belt since we don't have to use a lot of weight. The elastic type is probably the best as it compensates with depth (so that the belt does not end up on top of your chest with a deep dive). Harnesses with back weights have been developed for colder waters and thick suits. They distrubute the weight more evenly. They are pretty expensive but I think you can make one yourself pretty easily. I would caution you about overweighing (is this a real word?) yourself as it can be a dangerous problem for deep dives. As a comparison, I use 8# with a full 3mm suit and I am 6'00", 210#. Hope this helps
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Send a message via AIM to fernandezh Send a message via Yahoo to fernandezh
Re: Weight

Quote:
Originally posted by frogman
Most of us here in Florida use just a weight belt since we don't have to use a lot of weight. The elastic type is probably the best as it compensates with depth (so that the belt does not end up on top of your chest with a deep dive). Harnesses with back weights have been developed for colder waters and thick suits. They distrubute the weight more evenly. They are pretty expensive but I think you can make one yourself pretty easily. I would caution you about overweighing (is this a real word?) yourself as it can be a dangerous problem for deep dives. As a comparison, I use 8# with a full 3mm suit and I am 6'00", 210#. Hope this helps
same here except 6 lbs.
fernandezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
scrounger

Send a message via AIM to scrounger
Well, most of the dives I make are under 40 feet, that's the deepest bottom that I need to reach, not much else that's worth anything under that. Most of the good fish can be had in less than 20. most of good fish come out of white water. I wear 12#lbs thet seems to be what most of us wear if your wearing about a 4/3.
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote