Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
musubi

Re: New Pathos Trigger mech with Side Line Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
We still have some available if anyone is trying to find them. I setup one of our shop guns with it and tested it on a trip and it went very well, I'm a fan and really glad these guns are now more easily converted to breakaway setups!

https://benthicoceansports.com/colle...idelinerelease
Right on, thanks Triton for the feeback.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
spearq8

The part I meant was the back of the trigger. There is an extension that is simply not needed. I am assuming Pathos wanted it in case they want to use the safety (yes the Pathos has a safety in the handle). I usually chop the extension off if I see it. From the video it looks like this extension is pushing the trigger up as it is contacting the sear as it drops and if you keep pressing the trigger the extension will have no place to go ... and if you press some more it will push the trigger up. The trigger has only a back pin as most pipe guns do, but I do find it strange that it is managing to push the trigger up. Anyway, it is worth trying to cut off that extension as it will not affect how the gun shoots. You can just use bolt cutters or a dremel with cutting disc. I would file off the sharp edges and sand or file the cut end smooth.

On the first video I couldn't tell if the trigger was reaching the bottom of the trigger guard as your finger was in the way. When you press the trigger, the trigger should not reach the bottom of trigger guard otherwise that would push things up too.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #18
NPG-70

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
Thanks spearq8. The side line release wasn't the issue. I dremeled enough out of the side to ensure free movement, shaft engaged and not.

I'd be interested in other members' experience with this new side line release if it worked fine and as expected in the water.
Musubi, I put one on my main gun and haven't experienced any issues with movement at all. The mech works flawlessly so far.

I did do a couple of things though. Firstly I polished the contacting surfaces of the trigger sear and also the shaft lug, hopefully to deter scoring. The action is very consistent, smooth and quite light.

I changed the line release to the other side (after rounding off the very square edges) but didn't tighten the small bolt up enough. This led to the release not getting enough angle to retain the shooting line, with the slightest contact seeing the line slip off the release. But after nipping up the bolt so that the release only just moves freely, it comes around much more to hold the line properly (see pics). I also popped a bit of heatshrink on it.

Loving this gun now. Shoots very consistently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polished.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	232651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polished 2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	232652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loose release bolt.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	232653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tight release bolt.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	232654   Click image for larger version

Name:	120cm Main Gun.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	232655  

NPG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #19
musubi

Thanks NPG-70! My original handle must have been faulty then. I've since ordered another and will try with that.

Off-topic, how did you get that cuttled barrel? Gun looks awesome.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #20
Lorini

NPG-70- Very nice looking gun, did you buy the tube or did you made it yourself using the old one, if so please explain
Lorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #21
NPG-70

So as not to hijack this thread, details of that gun are here;

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...36#post2139536
NPG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #22
sdDive

I just got the sniper r roller gun and the side line release. How do you install the side line release? is it just one pin that I push out ? is there a specific direction that I am suppose to push out the pin? I was trying to hammer it out, but it wont move... I don't want to try too hard and break the thing.
sdDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #23
Diver278

sdDiver call SpearAmerica in Irvine or go in they did mine on my Pathos 115 R Sniper
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #24
musubi

I used a pin punch to push the pin out. I don't recall there being a particular direction for the pin to come out. Once the pin is out, I used something to help pry the mechanism out of the handle as it can be a snug fit. I try to take care though in not marring the handle doing that.

Check out spearq8 (majdq8 on youtube) at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukdS5w0Qlg&t=261s

It's not the mechanism discussed in this thread, but it'll show you how it's disassembled.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
sdDive

Alright thank you guys. I’ll try first, then go to SA if I can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sdDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #26
baitball

I have the side line release on my d Angelo 2 and it won't sit all the way in the handle like the original. Is anyone else experiencing this at all? The shaft sits a little bit off the rail and I'm concerned about accuracy.
baitball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #27
Triton

Did you dremel out a little pocket for the line release?
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #28
baitball

Yea it functions fine but the trigger is super light and it just sits up higher than the old one. The pin is lined up with the hole. Also the flopper doesn't rest on the muzzle anymore because the mech isn't all the way back.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #29
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitball View Post
Yea it functions fine but the trigger is super light and it just sits up higher than the old one. The pin is lined up with the hole. Also the flopper doesn't rest on the muzzle anymore because the mech isn't all the way back.
I get a similar situation to you. Very sensitive trigger and the mechanism doesn’t fit as snug. The mechanism actually lifts up a bit and I’ve thought about ways to secure it back down.

When the mechanism lifts, the contact area of the sears are reduced which produces the light trigger.

Right now, it’s just how they’re made and I’m not aware of any correction to this. I’ve had Spear America install it for me as well and it’s the same.

With that said, I’ve been using the new mechanism and the accuracy hasn’t been affected. I’m just always concerned the gun might fire on its own due to the loose mechanism and decreased sear contact.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #30
baitball

If the pin hole on the handle was a little lower I feel like it would work. I tried to upload pictures but it's not letting me.