Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
slowboat

Patagonia donates to antifa

Saw on the news , Patagonia donated $40,000 to antifa,
A domestic terrorist group , who likes to disrupt Republican rallies and meetings. Seems to have some problems at Berkeley with Trump supporters .
JUst figured it was some right wing news source so I called Patagonia.
THey gave money to a group called "fossil fuels divestment network"
With ended up being donated to antifa ? What kind of strange ass stuff is this ?
All I know , is the young Lady from Patagonia talked in circles even after talking to Corporate and calling me back, but facts seem to be
the social justice warriors got some money from them even if indirectly.
so I am going to boycott a product I would never buy anyway.
Also , the post re , creating mpas , no take zones , supported by Patagonia
Means they are kool-aide distributors , for profit
Feel - good politics selling false ideas with their clothes.
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
slowboat

Re: Patagonia donates to antifa

Maybe they can sell Patagonia protest gear as a new clothing line.
You know , trendy combat boots with organic face masks that match your Patagonia hoodie
Emblazoned with a"protect fish first" logo theme .
Accessoried by a hemp backpack with a convenient solar panel to keep your I phone charged while bringing down capitalism and recording your adventures of blocking traffic.
In extreme measures the backpack can be placed over the head and be used as a gas mask. After all, anarchy never goes out of style.
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
norcalsurfer

Hate fueled Republican rallies need to be disrupted, especially in Berkeley. Those fools that showed up to that rally got what they deserved trying to spread their hate.

If you don't like Patagonia, don't buy it.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:25 AM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Good on you Slowboat for actually taking the time to do the research to find out the truth. Go a little further down that rabbit hole and you'll see what's really going on. Surface skipping haters will always hate.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Ater22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsurfer View Post
Hate fueled Republican rallies need to be disrupted, especially in Berkeley. Those fools that showed up to that rally got what they deserved trying to spread their hate.

Spreading their hate? Or opinions that differ from yours?
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ater22 View Post
Spreading their hate? Or opinions that differ from yours?
I've found with some folks, the two are the same in their eyes. In fact, many get so upset about someone having and (can you believe it?), voicing a different opinion, they'll happily result to violence to stop it.

As to Patagonia, years ago I met a couple of their execs while I was skiing in the back country. Had a very pleasant conversation until I mentioned that I hunt the same area we were skiing. They got so irate and even possessive of the area, that even though I can get their stuff at up to a 50% discount through my job, I won't buy anything with that label on it.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
peripatetic

Patagonia has been a sponsor of mine for many years. Their mission statment is one of the most progressive in the US. Yvon Chouinard founded "One percent for the planet". Why are you surprised that the company would donate to progressive causes?

To paraphrase what was said above: "if you don't like it, don't buy their products". I have known Yvon for nearly forty years. He is one of the most generous, selfless people I have ever known.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Ron S

I myself wouldn't have called funding an organization that promotes and organizes violent acts "progressive", but I guess different folks have different definitions of the word, "progressive".
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
peripatetic

If you read the original post you will see that the money was not donated directly to the organization in question. For your information "progressive" means looking forward, as in working towards positive change. It does not mean violence, which is far more often seen coming from the right, not the left.

Both sides of the political spectrum have their extremists. The right wing seems to readily accept violence directed towards liberals and progressives, but not so much when the fin is on the other foot. Whats up with that?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
which is far more often seen coming from the right, not the left.

The right wing seems to readily accept violence directed towards liberals and progressives, but not so much when the fin is on the other foot. Whats up with that?

You might want to back up those statements w/ some facts. BTW, I'm not on either side....but from my knowledge of history and such, you are incorrect.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

Patagonia ignores science and blindly pushes their enviro agenda on the public.

http://www.surfrider.org/coastal-blo...nes-about-mpas

Old news but why would you support a company that boldly fought to limit your access to your resources?

Mike
Old 04-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #12
ToelessTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
Patagonia ignores science and blindly pushes their enviro agenda on the public.

http://www.surfrider.org/coastal-blo...nes-about-mpas

Old news but why would you support a company that boldly fought to limit your access to your resources?

Mike
Yup.

He rallied his base to support fishing and spearfishing closures (MPA's without science based rationale) up and down the coast. Mind you, they also rolled out smoked wild caught salmon in their stores at the same time.

And, they had spearfishing in their catalog the next season. The hypocrisy rang loud when supporting the closures, but then using spearos and smoked fish to sell product. Many of the top spearos nicknamed them PataGucci after the whole process and vowed never to buy the brand again. Yvon's kid Fletcher jumped on spearboard to counter what everyone was ranting about. That quickly turned into a mess as he proved to be completely out of touch on the MLPA process or current species management.

Personally, I am a Doug Tompkins fan (RIP) who founded the north face. The guy didn't blast 1% for the planet across all marketing. Yet he quietly bought a million acres of Patagonia with personal funds and donated it all to Chile for conservation. That's epic!
ToelessTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToelessTom View Post

Personally, I am a Doug Tompkins fan (RIP) who founded the north face. The guy didn't blast 1% for the planet across all marketing. Yet he quietly bought a million acres of Patagonia with personal funds and donated it all to Chile for conservation. That's epic!
The North Face? Really? Huge pushers of the climate change ripoff. They quote some Everest Climber whining about receding glaciers. Meanwhile there is tons of North Face garbage, oxygen bottles, and misc. trash left by countless expeditions on the mountain. If they really support the environment they should get their butts up there and start cleaning up. I get sick reading of Sherpas 'shortlining' ie dragging grannies up there to set records, and groups passing dying climbers on the way:

Quote:
In 2009, we joined other forward-looking companies in the Ceres Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP) coalition to advocate for progressive climate change policies.
Quote:
What we do know is that 97% of climate scientists agree that climate change is human caused and is having an adverse affect on our planet.
The North Face on Climate Change

Sick if Patagonia is laundering money to anti fa and promoting preservation vs. conservation, then selling spearo gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowboat View Post
Maybe they can sell Patagonia protest gear as a new clothing line.
You're not going to believe it, but that is exactly what The North Face is doing - selling Bears Ears T-shirts etc. to 'preserve' rather than 'conserve':

Preserve Bears Ears

Might as well add Nike to the list to boycott.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nike.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	242037  

Last edited by PigStikr; 04-04-2019 at 08:04 AM.
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #14
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Mods can we get this garbage moved to the politics/stormfront section of spearboard.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #15
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsurfer View Post

Communists can get bent, Antifa is nothing but rich white children with no life experience preaching racism division and violence while hiding their faces like cowards.

Molan Agabe
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote