Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Announcements and Rules > Spearboard Announcements and Rules

Spearboard Announcements and Rules Check here for annoucements on things that would interest spearfishermen, including seminars or other events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 2.76 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #61
jfjf

Re: Welcome Lurkers!

Welcome
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #62
HANGTIME NC

Thanks Tony. Tried to get on for a while. Asked Tom to give you a shout. Tom taught me to mdive in '88. Been spearing since about '92. Love your site, and have enjoyed learning other tricks about spearing from others. Thanks again, Joey (HANGTIME NC).
HANGTIME NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #63
diverlb

Hello everyone! former lurker, registered awhile ago, just starting to post. Great to be able to learn from everyones posts and to see some killer fish photo's too.
diverlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #64
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Welcome Lurkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlb View Post
Hello everyone! former lurker, registered awhile ago, just starting to post. Great to be able to learn from everyones posts and to see some killer fish photo's too.
Glad you made it in diverlb. Welcome here!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #65
mselenaous

Send a message via Yahoo to mselenaous Send a message via Skype™ to mselenaous

I've been a lurker for years (mostly reading over friends shoulders) since my NE Florida days... now in Mexico, I finally shot my first fish. I guess I can't lurk any more.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:47 AM   #66
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Welcome Lurkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mselenaous View Post
I've been a lurker for years (mostly reading over friends shoulders) since my NE Florida days... now in Mexico, I finally shot my first fish. I guess I can't lurk any more.
Welcome aboard Elena! Glad you took these steps and joined in. Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #67
boattune
Spear fisher 1

Send a message via AIM to boattune Send a message via MSN to boattune Send a message via Yahoo to boattune

i am having the same problem getting registered. help
Palm Coast, Fl 32137
407-402-9521
bobL@boattune.com
boattune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #68
ncspearo

Send a message via AIM to ncspearo

Hello all!! i am the picture of a lurker...signed up a while ago but never really posted much. i have been consulting the infinite wisdom of the members here for a good long time. so i have decided that i should become a more active member...my status quo...
recently acquired a 16ft carolina skiff, little under powered with the 9.9 on her but she gets two of us out there with a little patience. my home is the inlet on the south end of wrightsville beach, NC. we shoot (atlantic)sheepshead tog and flounder out there on a reg basis with cobia (which have eluded me as of yet) in the spring and black drum and trout in the fall. i get off occasionally to some ledges/wrecks to shoot some grouper, hogsnapper, and hopefully some palegics, (mahi, wahoo)...anyone in the SNC region looking for gas splitters, i know few guys and myself for scuba or freedive. i have been using a 36in teak biller for low vis jetty hunting and a 60in mahogany for deeper better vis situations, however ive just ordered a gun from julio at garciasub spearguns in PR (check him out, will post more when i try my new baby out) that will shoot a 60shaft with a reel that i am hoping to freedive with little more and still use while "cheating" keeping tabs on the reel of course. currently working on breath holding, can hold for 2min 15 secs sitting at my desk but mor like 1.30 while on the bottom of the university pool. whop knows when im looking at fish, the mnmore i see the less i pay attention to my breath!! anyways, been spearing actively for 3 years here in NC, started when i was 13 back in NJ(manasquan inlet). looking forward to becoming an active member fo the community and forging some relationships.
ncspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #69
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo

I've been reading for some months now and learning a lot. Thanks Tony for letting me in, I've got a ton of questions, probably stupid ones. I grew up in Santa Monica, on Sorrento beach. I moved to cabo san lucas 14 years ago. I've been spearing for about six years and have had to learn everything by trail and error. A friend of mine turned me on to this website and now I read it everyday. A wealth of usefull information. All my diving is done from the beach. The fish I like to go after are cabrilla, amberjack, pargo, and snook. When they're not around there are plenty of other fish that just surprisingly show up. It's absolutely amazing that at the right time of the year some of those big fish can be speared sometimes no more the twenty yards from shore. I usually surf but find myself praying for the surf to go down so I can go spear something. Thanks again for letting me in, I feel honored because I know there are some dedicated divers on this website that have paid their dues. However, I'm not too happy with the lurker label, but I'm still happy I can finally post. Now where's that bikini thread?
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #70
SpearJunkie
Needing A Fix

I learned about Spear Board from a buddy of mine who turned me on to diving and spearfishing back in 1993. I had not been diving in about 8 years and he threw a set of gear together and we hit the water 6 weeks ago 25 miles out of Clearwater. OMG did I get the inner urge for diving again. The week before the SPO i went out and bought a new set of gear and had a blast in the tourney. We went to the south end of the middle grounds and shot some nice fish. After not spearing for along time I did very well and only missed a couple of fish I shot at. I am so glad I am in the water again and did not realize how much i really missed spear fishing. I like this site from what I have seen and hope to meet some new friends and learn some new things.
SpearJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #71
speargunking

Vince, aka speargunkie, has been diving with me for years.. and picked up shooting good right off the bat.. we always compete against each other, which makes it a blast when your top dog, but when you get put in your place you have to suck it up.. Vince has been a great diver and Im glad he is back on my boat everyweek shooting again.. WELCOME TO SPEARBOARD Vince.. and get ready.. next weekend its GROUNDS TIME AGAIN!!!!

25 foot proline "Awesome Angler"

http://www.saltyshores.com/vids/capjay.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...CnkD4zNZ8w#t=0

Click on Links above for Grouper digging Video's..
speargunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #72
thedaddy
Just a guy

Hey all!
I've been diving for a couple of decades but am new to spearing. I was referred here from scubaboard and lurked for a short while. I'm looking to learn the ropes so that I can show my son and we can go together and I can safely supervise him spearing. I plan on tagging along with buddies who spear as soon as I learn a bit more and was wondering if there's a sticky or something for newbs as an intro. I searched the threads but nothing specific came up, just many requests similar to mine, with lots of replies. I learned a lot, but thought maybe there is a central thread out there.

My son and I love to fish, camp, hunt, etc. Let me qualify that - he LIVES to fish. He's 11 yrs. and is wanting to get Jr. OW certified. I showed him some pics of snapper and grouper right close up on a trip in the Gulf. My son saw prey and asked me to help him start spearing. I told him as soon as he got certified and a few dives, I'd let him try it. I've got an old speargun I bought with some used boat gear that I'm refitting (it's not the best, but it'll do on a budget). I'm not sure about stringers, legality of baiting, how you tow your catch without it becoming chum, what beaches are legal for entry with speargun, etc.

I'm pretty safety conscious, but I solo dive frequently and mod my gear to suit my needs when called for - and take responsibility for it. But when it comes to my children, safety is a top priority so I'm learning as much as I can before hitting the water. Any help or pointers to references or resources is appreciated.

Look forward to meeting some of you out there before too long!
Steve
Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #73
StinkyBunny

Hello all and thanks to the Big Kahuna for fixing my menership, much appreciated!

A little about me, been diving since I was 10 so that means 36 years of bottom time for me! Looking to move to the Keys in the next few years, yes, the wife and I went there and got "The Keys Disease", lol! Fell in love with them the first time we went there, I was out of the service for 3 years at the time . I'm in the process of getting some pics uploaded of my speargun and looking forward to getting back into the sport after a LOOONG hiatus.
StinkyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #74
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Welcome all you former lurkers!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #75
Chef1

Please allow me to introduce myself.

I thought I’d introduce myself as I will be asking quite a few questions in the next few weeks and so I thought I’d let you know who this annoying person was before hand.
I am the Chef/Owner of a seasonal restaurant on the North Shore of Lake Superior in Grand Marais, MN. And being as it is a seasonal restaurant my family and I spend a good part of the winter in Mexico. Last year we spent ten weeks in the Yucatan in the small fishing village of Punta Allen…marvelous place! With only four days left in our stay I was invited to go spearfishing, so with barrowed gear and NO experience I went out to the “Great Mayan” Reef. Two hours and three mahogany snapper and two reef jacks later and I became a spearfishing junkie!
We are returning to Mexico (with a three week side trip to Belize) this December through April and In the months ahead I may be bugging you all as to what gear a motivated and dedicated rookie should be taking with him. Also if any of you have fished Mexico, advice and locations would be greatly appreciated.
In return…I have been an executive chef for fifteen years and have worked in Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, San Francisco and Seattle. So if you need a recipe I may well have it.
Regards
Chef1 is offline   Reply With Quote