Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
DTS-THOTS_17

Question Nemrod

Hi,

I'm not an expert, so I wanted to get some expert opinion on these three vintage spearguns which I recently acquired. Here are links to a picture of each gun:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...508121710.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...506123509.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...508121738.jpg/

So the biggest heavy duty looking one is the Nemrod Clipper III pneumatic speargun.

The blue one with the black mid handle and shoulder rest is the Nemrod Gaucho II Weekend.

And the smallest of the three has no branding on it whatsoever. However it looks almost identical to the Nemrod Carabella Short II (http://www.skindivinghistory.com/gea...-Short-II.html), except that it's not blue, it has a white handle and brown shaft. Also it says that it's made in Spain.

Can you please tell me what you think the value of these guns are? I got the three of them at an auction. I would assume that they need services/new rubber bands etc. Are they worth selling? Or hanging on to? Are they collectors items? I can't find any for sale online.. Does that mean that they're rare? or unwanted?

Thank you very much!

Dylan
DTS-THOTS_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Marco

Re: Nemrod

I had a Guacho and then a Clipper I and a Clipper II. They were good guns, but very noisy. They were very popular in my country 40 years ago, then Mares pneumatics appeared and eventually their factory in Spain closed back in the 80's.

The Gaucho and the small one for sure you can bring back to life with new bands/wishbones and shaft. The Clipper will be a little more complicated depending on the internal conditions. I think that not all the seals are o'rings. Popgun Pete or another pneumatic expert can help you out.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
popgun pete

Nemrod made the "Clipper" pneumatic guns for decades with a change in colour scheme a couple of times. They are not rare, but condition means a lot in gun values. Basically they are worth what someone wants to pay for them, just as you did at auction. However sometimes the item is poorly described or advertised and thus there is less competition at the auction resulting in a lower price for the winner.

A side note is that the "Gaucho" uses the same handle as the "Silver" series pneumatic guns.

Last edited by popgun pete; 05-16-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: more info
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Les Sage

The Nemrod guns were very pupular for fresh water shooting. The Clippper 2 was a very short gun which delivered lots of power for shooting fish in low vis conditions.

As mentioned, you can probably get the band guns in good working order by simply putting new rubber on them. The older shafts were plated rather than heat treated SS.

For the puematic gun, store it with the barrel down for a while to allow any oil to lubricate the piston. Then pump a small amout of air in the rear. The shaft will seat in the piston and you can then push the shaft back some. You can determine if if is in working order by doing that.

Good luck with everything. Shoot me a PM for more info if you need some more help

Sincerely,

LS
Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
popgun pete

As people are often trying to resurrect Nemrod pneumatic guns by replacing or repairing the pistons, this post describes how the pistons were made.

Here is a diagram of the Nemrod piston and how they were assembled out of several sub-components using steel, aluminium (the spacers originally, later stainless steel) and ribbed rubber cups seals to stop the piston rocking in the bore. The rubber ribs provide six circumferential sliding points of contact, but only the rear rubber seal trailing lip flares with air pressure against the inner barrel wall, the front seal serves as a barrel wiper. Sometimes it is possible to extend piston life by transposing the rubber seals, as the front seal has an easier life, never being exposed to compressed air pressure.

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-14-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
popgun pete

A photo of a Nemrod "Clipper" piston with a modern plastic piston for comparison.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
popgun pete

It should be noted that early Nemrod pistons of the mushroom head tail type, as distinct from forward latching gun pistons that have no tail, are made from ordinary steel with respect to the head, piston spine and mushroom tail. Originally these have a protective silvery coating, but time and saltwater gradually erodes this coating away on the exposed parts and if moisture gets into the oil, as it will after a lot of use, even the inner parts start to spot and lose their coating.

Early pistons have tiny wire circlips at the spacer ends, these need to carefully prised off to remove the spacers from the piston spine and stop the seals shifting while placing constrictive pressure on them to create a good seal.

Later pistons have stainless steel parts, and even later ones have stainless steel spacers instead of the anodized alloy spacers that cup the seals and prevent pressurized air leaks travelling along the piston spine. As not only do the seals occur on the inner barrel wall (dynamic) they also have to seal on the piston body (static), something that is often forgotten by gun users when they try to repair their Nemrod pneumatic spearguns. The surface of the spine needs to be smooth and rust free, which it usually is in guns that have these parts swimming in oil. SAE 10W grade oil, a motorcycle front suspension oil is ideal as the specifications are a perfect match, the stuff often being referred to as “fork oil”.

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-17-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added a photo