Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Mana'squal
Registered User
 
Mana'squal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East US
Posts: 289
High Pressure Float Questions

I am trying to prep for my trip to AK in August. I plan on taking some time to do drifts over areas frequented by Halibut and I don't want to lose my new gun or my life to one of these fish.

What size high pressure float would be appropriate for fish under 100#'s?

I am not chasing barn doors here. I just want to get one on the spear while I'm there and don't want to have to pass on fish for lack of gear.

If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame
 
Alec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Palm Beach
Age: 24
Posts: 2,083
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

This will do the trick, https://benthicoceansports.com/produ...ics-3atm-float
No real need to go bigger but if you did the 30L is a cheaper version of the riffe 3atm besides a thing or two
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Mana'squal
Registered User
 
Mana'squal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East US
Posts: 289
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
This will do the trick, https://benthicoceansports.com/produ...ics-3atm-float
No real need to go bigger but if you did the 30L is a cheaper version of the riffe 3atm besides a thing or two


Awesome, Mako has a cheaper one with a dive flag, any reason not to use Dans?
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
jfjf
.
 
jfjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Palm Bch County
Posts: 10,644
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

Something to consider is the depth and any crazy currents. If you assume the depth is uniform and the fish can not swim to a much deeper depths and there are no reefs or wrecks to snag a floatline and the currents are not crazy strong, then you float should stay on the surface if your line is long enough. So even if a fish is strong enough to sprint and pull a float down for a short time, he can not really do it for long.

The mako hp float with flag is very tough and I would be comfortable try to target a 100
Lb fish with it.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Mana'squal
Registered User
 
Mana'squal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East US
Posts: 289
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Something to consider is the depth and any crazy currents. If you assume the depth is uniform and the fish can not swim to a much deeper depths and there are no reefs or wrecks to snag a floatline and the currents are not crazy strong, then you float should stay on the surface if your line is long enough. So even if a fish is strong enough to sprint and pull a float down for a short time, he can not really do it for long.

The mako hp float with flag is very tough and I would be comfortable try to target a 100
Lb fish with it.


Thanks Bud. I checked the topography and it looks free of most structure and the depth only reaches 100ft well outside of where I plan on drifting. I figure a 75ft float maybe even a 50ft float would be adequate.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	242159
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
Mana'squal
Registered User
 
Mana'squal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East US
Posts: 289
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

I ended up getting the Mako 15L high pressure float when it was on sale last week.

Only cost about $100.00 and includes a dive flag and weight. Construction looks very sound, but i am out of my element using breakaway rigging.

Anyone have any suggestions for what length float line i should use?

Water depth will be sub 50ft, fish could potentially run to places about 100' deep, but it doesn't seem terribly likely.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
jfjf
.
 
jfjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Palm Bch County
Posts: 10,644
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

I would think a 100 ft floatline should work. I have never shot a halibut, but it is my suspicion from shooting a lot of flounders etc. That that type of fish is going to settle back to the bottom rather than take off for open water like a pelagic fish. Hopefully you can get some advice from someone who has actually landed these fish.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Mana'squal
Registered User
 
Mana'squal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North East US
Posts: 289
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I would think a 100 ft floatline should work. I have never shot a halibut, but it is my suspicion from shooting a lot of flounders etc. That that type of fish is going to settle back to the bottom rather than take off for open water like a pelagic fish. Hopefully you can get some advice from someone who has actually landed these fish.
I've been trying to get someone who has targeted these. There's only one person on Youtube and I reached out for advise.

Doesn't look like a terribly hard fish to target, just drift the current in their habitat and hope for the best.

Going to bring 2 guns, spare shafts and turn whatever i'm fortunate enough to hit into a pin cushion or a knife sheath.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Marco
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Miami, Florida
Age: 53
Posts: 2,516
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

You should be good with 75' and a 3' bungee. That float should stop the hallibut.
__________________
Marco

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
jfjf
.
 
jfjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Palm Bch County
Posts: 10,644
Re: High Pressure Float Questions

The length of the floatline is also a function of current. You can get away with a short line in zero current, but in strong currents a longer floatline will be appreciated. A general comment, not sure if it is applicable to your situation.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
alaska, float, halibut

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com