Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013

2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013 This is a world-class spearfishing, diving and water sports event with 1,000s of participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Re: (New!!!) Blue Wild Photo/Video Contest

So now that the video and photo contest submissions are final, how many videos were sent in?

I know I sent one in!
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Sheri
So Little Time

Hey KeysKid,

Last I heard there were about 30 video submissions and 330 photo submissions. But more probably came in yesterday before the deadline. It's going to be fun!

We will show the top 10 videos and top 30 photos on a loop at the Expo before we announce the winners at 5 pm on Sunday (was changed from Saturday).

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Sheri; 02-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Awesome, can't wait! Thanks Sheri!
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #19
Kraken
I am the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Yes, Kraken, the video is limited to 3:00 minutes max. Maybe you can edit it down to 3:00 without losing too much? Good luck!!!
Sheri, thank you for the misleading information. The winning video was nearly 3:50 long, yet everyone else played by your rules and kept it under 3:00. I would've loved to have an additional 50 seconds to play with! Doesn't really seem fair to Dan or John who placed behind the "extended" video. I'd like to hear the judge(s) opinion on the matter especially since I know of at least 2 videos that were rejected for exceeding the time limit. You can guarantee that I won't bother to waste my time editing a video for next years contest and I know im not the only one who feels that way.

First place video:
"Mediterranean Dreams" - Winner - BLUE WILD Spearfishing Video Contest 2013 - YouTube

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Kraken
I am the sea

2nd place
Running of the Bulls - YouTube
3rd place
Once in a Lifetime By Dan Silveira - YouTube

Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Sheri, thank you for the misleading information. The winning video was nearly 3:50 long, yet everyone else played by your rules and kept it under 3:00. I would've loved to have an additional 50 seconds to play with! Doesn't really seem fair to Dan or John who placed behind the "extended" video. I'd like to hear the judge(s) opinion on the matter especially since I know of at least 2 videos that were rejected for exceeding the time limit. You can guarantee that I won't bother to waste my time editing a video for next years contest and I know im not the only one who feels that way. [/url]
Kraken, thanks for bringing to my attention. I am looking into it with the person that ran the Video contest. He used 4 independent judges. Bottom line -- if the rules were not adhered to, we will correct it.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
Sheri
So Little Time

Just received this explanation from the winning entry:

"People have seen right. I know about the 3 Min rule and it was really hard for me to edit exactly in time... and I actually did! The Video on youtube shows 3:46 but it has a lot of black in the beginning and credits and black in the end...I will upload again without black and credits to show it is in the 3 min limit."
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Kraken,

I watched all the videos and your video was the best. No question. You spent way more time on the video than anyone else, and it showed. The slow-mo shots were insane with dolphins, the camera angles, quality fish, pole spearing, the clarity, music...ect. It had everything. There could have been a little less Riffe advertising but whatever.

I didn't even get in the top 10 either shooting a trophy Cubera at good depth.

Last edited by greekdiver; 03-03-2013 at 12:03 AM.
greekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
sbh

Don't know any of the winners or kraken for that matter but I can't see how the running with bulls video compared to the other winners and krakens vid? Perhaps there was the "shock value" if the judges were non spearfishers or not used to diving around sharks.? First ,third, and krakens would have been tough call to me though. The running of bulls was enjoyable but editing, diversity of shots and perspective and overall completeness of video didn't compare. Then again I didn't read judging criteria and my opinion doesn't mean anything to the outcome, but I figured I'd share it anyway!!! It's cold (for florida)windy, and I've got nothing better to do
Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #25
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Hello Sheri,

Is there a way to link all the entries of the Blue Wild video competition and have a Spearboard poll to determine a winner?

No rules, just strictly a popular vote. The one with the most votes wins....nothing, but an ego boost, Spearboard bragging rights, incentive to keep making videos, etc.

And, to keep the drama out, lock the thread so there can be no fanboy comments, opinions or criticisms.

I am sure the moderators or SpearMax can make this happen.

It is currently 22° F outside, so it would be a great way ease out of these winter blues and into spring spearfishing.

Keep calm and dive safe.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON

Last edited by SpearoTastic; 03-03-2013 at 09:50 AM.
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Well according to the rules it has to be 3 min max. So 1st, 3rd and Nolan's would have been disqualified in my book. I have nothing but respect for Nolan his videos are sick and his stills are even better. However if the entry has to be 3 minutes, 3:01 is too long. Its the first time the contest has been offered. I think its a great idea, and with anything new there's kinks and issues to work out. Have patience and believe that Sheri will have it worked out for next year.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #27
Sheri
So Little Time

After looking into the Video contest complaint, here are my findings:

1. The 1st place winning entry was told in advance that black screen and credits did not count against the 3:00 minutes max rule. In a perfect world, I would have been informed of this question/answer, and I could have updated the website rules so that everyone was aware of this. Lesson learned: better communication between me and Video contest coordinator. I will add this to the rules next year -- "Black screen and credits do NOT count against the video time".

2. Upon further review, I found that the winning entry did exceed the 3:00 min max by 4 seconds (not counting black screen and credits). There were several other entries that also exceeded by 2, 3, 4 seconds. This year, if they exceeded by up to 5 seconds, the panel did not disqualify them. However, next year, I will post the rule that we are going to disqualify any video that exceeds 3:00 minutes by even 1 second. We will not even warn them or give them a second chance to correct because everyone is just too busy.

3. Another lesson learned -- I need to specify the time zone of the deadline. FYI.....I will make it "United States Eastern Standard time".

4. Another lesson learned -- I need to specify "no copyrighted songs" on the video.

Summary: I stand behind the Video contest coordinator and the judges. I personally know three of the four Video judges, and they have impeccable scruples and credentials (for example, Stan Waterman who is a 5 time Emmy award winner). The fourth judge was provided by Divers Direct. I just examined all the scores, and they were surprisingly similar to each other for having been done independently. I also asked the judges opinions regarding this matter, and the feedback was not to disqualify them. One of them said, "Even with 4 seconds cut out, they would have still won -- this is not an Olympic race where a couple split seconds make a big difference in the outcome."

Obviously, there is always a subjective component to judging something of this nature, and we will always have some that don't agree. I purposefully did not see these videos until a couple nights before and had no idea what the standings were until minutes before the announcement. With the Photo contest, I didn't know the winners until we read them at the podium. My philosophy is to pick good judges who are scrupulous and independent, and leave it in their hands.

As some have noted, it's out first time doing a Photo/Video contest. We got more than expected and higher quality than I was expecting -- there's some serious talent out there! We appreciate everyone's efforts, and we are pleased to provide a forum where they can show off their talent. I knew there would be Lessons Learned, and I apologize for that. I am pleased with the overall outcome, and I want to thank the applicants, the Photo/Video coordinators, the judges, and the sponsors for the time they put into it and for making it all possible.

I am happy to hear more feedback on how we can make it better.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
Kraken
I am the sea

Sheri,
Thank you for looking into this. I respect your input and appreciate it. It is nice to have some clarity on the issue and now we all know how to better tailor our videos for next year. With all the controversy this year, it's likely I still won't bother to enter next year but at least we have some answers. Thank you again.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
After looking into the Video contest complaint, here are my findings:

1. The 1st place winning entry was told in advance that black screen and credits did not count against the 3:00 minutes max rule. In a perfect world, I would have been informed of this question/answer, and I could have updated the website rules so that everyone was aware of this. Lesson learned: better communication between me and Video contest coordinator. I will add this to the rules next year -- "Black screen and credits do NOT count against the video time".

2. Upon further review, I found that the winning entry did exceed the 3:00 min max by 4 seconds (not counting black screen and credits). There were several other entries that also exceeded by 2, 3, 4 seconds. This year, if they exceeded by up to 5 seconds, the panel did not disqualify them. However, next year, I will post the rule that we are going to disqualify any video that exceeds 3:00 minutes by even 1 second. We will not even warn them or give them a second chance to correct because everyone is just too busy.

3. Another lesson learned -- I need to specify the time zone of the deadline. FYI.....I will make it "United States Eastern Standard time".

4. Another lesson learned -- I need to specify "no copyrighted songs" on the video.

Summary: I stand behind the Video contest coordinator and the judges. I personally know three of the four Video judges, and they have impeccable scruples and credentials (for example, Stan Waterman who is a 5 time Emmy award winner). The fourth judge was provided by Divers Direct. I just examined all the scores, and they were surprisingly similar to each other for having been done independently. I also asked the judges opinions regarding this matter, and the feedback was not to disqualify them. One of them said, "Even with 4 seconds cut out, they would have still won -- this is not an Olympic race where a couple split seconds make a big difference in the outcome."

Obviously, there is always a subjective component to judging something of this nature, and we will always have some that don't agree. I purposefully did not see these videos until a couple nights before and had no idea what the standings were until minutes before the announcement. With the Photo contest, I didn't know the winners until we read them at the podium. My philosophy is to pick good judges who are scrupulous and independent, and leave it in their hands.

As some have noted, it's out first time doing a Photo/Video contest. We got more than expected and higher quality than I was expecting -- there's some serious talent out there! We appreciate everyone's efforts, and we are pleased to provide a forum where they can show off their talent. I knew there would be Lessons Learned, and I apologize for that. I am pleased with the overall outcome, and I want to thank the applicants, the Photo/Video coordinators, the judges, and the sponsors for the time they put into it and for making it all possible.

I am happy to hear more feedback on how we can make it better.
Only Sheri... can get Stan Waterman to judge a little underwater video contest....

My Suggestion for next year....Can you call Steven to judge next year's contest........

(Speilburg)
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Sheri
So Little Time

Hmmm.....that's a good idea, Jfjfjfjfj!

But I'm not sure if Spielberg is a diver/ocean man. He may not qualify to be a Blue Wild judge or speaker. We have very high standards, you know.

It really is amazing that we had Stan Waterman as a Blue Wild judge, isn't it? I don't know if people realize what a special person he is in so many ways. He's so incredibly accomplished in the world of diving and cinematography, so charming, such a gentleman, so humble, so funny....I adore that guy.

Want to hear something funny? He is 90 years old next month and the only one that caught the fact that the video was a few seconds longer than the 3 minute limit. He's sharp as a tack!

So does anyone want to hear his advice? He commented that being able to mount GoPros on spearguns and get that angle is very cool and exciting. But he said people have the tendency to show shot after shot, and he said it loses impact when people overdo it. He thought that fewer well planned shot scenes make for better video.

He was busy editing some macro video when I called for his advice. Has anyone read his book, Sea Salt? You're missing out if you have not. You can only get used copies on Amazon now.