Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Archerr

Flying to Bahamas

So my buddy and I are private pilots and are looking to fly our plane over to the Bahamas for the first time sometime in Jan/Feb. Obviously winter time can be a bit tougher to deal with on the water but since we are flying over there, I was wondering if y'all have any advice on the best islands to go to or if there are islands that are more sheltered from wind etc. We're definitely down for an adventure and would like to go somewhere that isn't that frequently travelled. Still looking to do some reef and bluewater spearing though. Might even be looking for 1 or 2 more to split costs and have an awesome crew.
Archerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Ryfish

Re: Flying to Bahamas

I really like Walkers if have a plane. Great diving there and time of year you are talking only locals. Diving there at that time of year is unreal great reef and bluewater species.

My buddy Killian has flown all over the Bahamas and dove hopefully chimes in.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Archerr

I've heard Walker's is awesome but ever since the hurricanes back in the day, is there really anything there anymore? We would still need lodging so would we have to stay on grand cay and then boat up each day? Also will be looking for a nice Bohemian dude to hire and take us out on his boat
Old 12-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
stoughs

Wife and me just got back from San Salvadore great diving wall is unbelievable good air strip and fuel but only 2 dive operators !! check to see if Riding rock a has 8 divers if not use club med but get ready for a bunch of snobby worthless frenchies ... have a good trip
Old 12-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerr View Post
I've heard Walker's is awesome but ever since the hurricanes back in the day, is there really anything there anymore? We would still need lodging so would we have to stay on grand cay and then boat up each day? Also will be looking for a nice Bohemian dude to hire and take us out on his boat
No hotel anymore but grande is real close can line up a boat there to pick up at dock and boat rental and place to stay for cheap $100 a night at most.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
underdogII

First trip over I'd fly in Treasure or Marsh.
Green Turtle, Treasure Cay or Hopetown, Guana Cay.
Boat rental much easier to get. You need a boat.
underdogII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
Gaudi

I will be there for 20 days over Christmas and New Years . I will let you know anything and everything I find. Also a private pilot here so depending on what I find I would be down for coming back sometime and flying out together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Hey guys

I am not a pilot buy I stayed in a holiday Inn select one time . Haha

But seriously a buddy of mine is a pilot and we have hit a handful of islands and done diving at all of the stops. We do it on a kught budget usually and have an epic time always bringing home fish and stories .

If you want to link up and both fly into the ssme place and share some good times and expenses lets make it happen.

We have plans for : san sal, rum cay, Cat island again and a few other spots that look juicy as funk.

Text or call me to keep the conversation going. 772979440four
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Rusty Shackle

Walkers was great to fly in to but it is abandoned last I heard. Eluthra is a great spot. I would go to Marsh Harbor. It is a 6,000 in good condition. Airport staff is pretty good. last time I was there 110LL was cheaper than in the states.

Call ahead and reserve a boat from Rainbow Rentals and go to Nippers on Sunday if you are there. Stay in Hopetown if you can. If not there are some places on Marsh.

What kind of plane are you planning on flying?
Rusty Shackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Archerr

[quote=Gaudi;2157744]I will be there for 20 days over Christmas and New Years . I will let you know anything and everything I find. Also a private pilot here so depending on what I find I would be down for coming back sometime and flying out together

Thanks dude, I'm psyched to hear about that for sure and would like to make a trip over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post

If you want to link up and both fly into the ssme place and share some good times and expenses lets make it happen.

We have plans for : san sal, rum cay, Cat island again and a few other spots that look juicy as funk.

Let's do it man- I'm down for wherever but unfortunately I don't get much time back in Florida since I'm stationed in north Texas, soon to be Phoenix for the Air Force so it would have to line up pretty good but I'll shoot you a text when I get some time back in FL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackle View Post
Walkers was great to fly in to but it is abandoned last I heard. Eluthra is a great spot. I would go to Marsh Harbor. It is a 6,000 in good condition. Airport staff is pretty good. last time I was there 110LL was cheaper than in the states.

Call ahead and reserve a boat from Rainbow Rentals and go to Nippers on Sunday if you are there. Stay in Hopetown if you can. If not there are some places on Marsh.

What kind of plane are you planning on flying?
All great tips, thanks. We would either be flying a Cherokee 6/300 but I'm still a bit sketched out flying single engine over the ocean so maybe rent a dual prop since i've got my multi
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #11
underdogII

Cherokee Six is perfect island plane. Overwater is nothing. Twin engine would be difficult to rent I think. Most passages over are only 60 to 90 miles over water.
underdogII is offline   Reply With Quote