Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Jimjaw

Cool Who knows Samoa well?

Married a Samoan woman last year and have come to meet her family in Satoalepai, Savai'i, Samoa. Man I wish I had a boat – and somewhere to launch it. There are no launch spots on this part of the island, apart from at Manase, as far as I can see. Round the corner at Salelelonga you might be able to put a boat in.
The reefs look great and the local spearfishermen stick mainly to the shallow waters of the passes using a unique type of Hawaiian sling fired like a kid's slingshot. Grossly overweight from eating too much taro, coconut cream, palusami and various other Samoan foods for the best part of the year, I headed out for a shore dive with one of the locals a few days back. i was underweighted, so scared the shit out of everything I had a go at. Local knowledge might have helped. The brackish inland lagoon that has created the gap we swam for has an outlet well above low tide level, and keeps flowing out long after the tide has turned, creating a good current. My companion and I headed out to the gap, him in a canoe and me swimming. Got there, got through the gap and found the water was filthy from rainy-season run-off, and alternately hot and cold. Saw a couple of decent parrots, put an extra weight on and was still slightly light but OK in the deep, put in one decent dive (considering I'm fat, 63 years old, unfit and haven't dived for nearly a year) and found myself swimming in soup, out of contact with the bottom and heading out to sea. Pumped it back between the crumbly 2-3m breakers and found Mata'i, the fisherman was still not back at his boat. He came back with a belt (worn around his waist for F's sake) full of small surgeon fish. I added a parrot fish and a surgeon. The current was still belting a couple of hours after the tide turning. Mata'i headed for a shallow spot, took off his fins and started dragging his canoe, walking over the coral!!! I've looked at Apolima straight every time we've been across and it shrieks good diving. Would love to hear about some good sports around here.
Jimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Seeco

Re: Who knows Samoa well?

Awesome post I wish I could help.
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
samoaspear

Hi just saw your post. Asau channel and Apoliama are both great spots plus lots of good offshore reefs just out of Apia harbour. PM me next time you head this way.
Sean
samoaspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Castor

I used to work over in American Samoa from time to time. I made 5 trips and loved it everytime. The people are some of the nicest Ive ever met. Yes, sometimes the rain screws up the vis but other times I saw it 100' plus visability. The only thing I didnt care for was the number of sharks. I was always diving by myself and they were everywhere. I would love to see some pictures sometime.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Seabass1981

Hi Everyone, will be in Apia in September for a week of spearfishing, any suggestions where to go and if i need a boat or if there are some good spots from ahore?
Seabass1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Looking to put a trip together with my boys may/June 2014...rainy season!...and not sure yet if we'll hit Am Samoa or Samoa. I know both a little but haven't speared either. Will probably focus on South side of Upolu Island? With several Samoan cousins from Am Samoa we might just stay on Am Samoa...not sure yet.

Any info from local Samoan divahz would be helpful. We're not asking for secret dive spots or any guarded info, just things like skiff captains, village chief permission for dive off village beaches (ava or fish offering), lodging besides all inclusive surf camps,...

Big Mahaloz in advance.

Aloha....Talofa!

Makoa

E MALAMA I KE KAI
makoa352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Samoaspear PM sent

E MALAMA I KE KAI
makoa352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Springa

Smile Hi I am looking for a dive buddy in Samoa

Hi I'll be in Samoa on the 4 th of January and will be there for two months I'm bringing my girl friend and my spearing gear as she loves a spear too lol... Any one maybe who wants to meet up and show us the way so we don't offend and locals? Also would be good to try and get out a bit wider maybe hire a boat or some thing if that kind of thing is available over there please contact me here
Thanks Ryan
Springa is offline   Reply With Quote