Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #31
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Re: Lake Travis Freedive Club

I've made chum blocks with shrimp shells (I eat the shrimp) by-catch from shrimpers in a gallon milk jug I suspend a light line into it with a dowel across as it freezes. When I go out I tie it off to a cleat and lower away. As it melts the chum floats off.

DO NOT LET WIFIE SEE SAID BLOCK FREEZING IN CHEST FREEZER OR THERE'LL BE HELL TO PAY!

I also make chum "blocks" with two gallon jugs with tops cut out so they mate together. A little gorilla tape holds them together. BEFORE taping fill with catfish chum (recipe to follow). Fill, mate and seal. When at spot pierce at a corner so's a line can be attached. Cut two diamond shaped holes toward bottom so chum will slowly ooze out.

Chum recipe:
In a 5 gallon bucket w/ lid you no longer want (you'll never get the odor out) mix:

1/2 bucket of deer corn, 1 large cheap container of oat meal, 1 small container garlic powder, 2 20 oz. Big Red sodas, 1 large can of cheap grated parmesan cheese, 1 large bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 2 containers of chicken liver pureed in a blender (male preservation warning-do not let wifie catch you doing this--get it done, cleaned and put away in rapid fashion).

Mix it all together with a disposable stick. Do not let your Lab get the stick. Allow to "cook" for about 2 week. Hold your breath and check every 3rd day. Add a bit of water and mix as corn swells.

Once ripe, wear rubber gloves (glorious scent comes off skin slowly) and use old margarine tub to scoop into your chum bomb.

Do not save bucket. Pack with trash, painter tape shut, label as trash and discard. You could also place said bucket, open under some bushes of an annoying neighbor. They'll find it when the buzzards start circling.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
spelly

Hello, I am looking for anyone to spearfish with in lake Travis. I am free most weekends, you can call or text me at 501 four seven two 4 six 8 five. I am new to the area and excited to see what the Texan waters hold!
spelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #33
cangulay

Im new here to dive, anyone in san antonio or austin for freediving or spearfish?
cangulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #34
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Y’all should enter some of those freshwater fish in www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com all the funds from this event go
Directly to www.oathinc.org I’m now the National Director for The Oudoor Association True Heroes Spearfishing Division. So Rigs & Reef is now 100% Registered NonProfit OATH Event.
No body ever brings freshwater fish they just have to be legal. 1fish per species. We have a Freshwater Division. Info and registration on website

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote