Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2004 Tournament Archives > Spearboard Open Archives 2004 > Spearboard Open Results

Spearboard Open Results Check here for the 2004 Spearboard Open Results

Old 05-26-2004, 07:47 AM   #46
snooker
Wearer of the Man-kini!!

Send a message via AIM to snooker
You're right, the number of competitors will decrease but I don't think by that many. Maybe someone should take a poll to see what people favor.

I too agree, this format does not make you shoot more fish. Once you fill the categories, you're off to the others and IF you see a trophy, it will take the place of one you shot. On a regular trip, you're "giving fish headaches" when you hit the bottom to fill the limits.

Last edited by snooker; 05-26-2004 at 07:52 AM.
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:51 AM   #47
Steel Shootin'

Rich, I tend to agree, but the most attractive thing to me about two days of shooting would be less chance of cancellation, figuring that at least one of the two days would be all right weather-wise . Would people not participate if they could only get out on Saturday, out of concern that they would stand no chance against people that will be out both days?

OTOH, if the one good day was the weekday, and Saturday was a blow out, turn out could be very low, so that may be no good. I think you're right, but will certainly make for some interesting discussion at future meetings.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:51 AM   #48
Spearooo

format

Oh yeah, I had a lousy last couple of drops and still shot about another 60-70 lbs of fish that didn't make it to the wiegh line, since they were repeats....
Spearooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:55 AM   #49
ROCK BOTTOM

RichTaylor,

What is up with your CAP key? I have never seen anyone use it like you do. Are you angry? SEEK HELP - GET THERAPY

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #50
snooker
Wearer of the Man-kini!!

Send a message via AIM to snooker
But Scott, don't you think that if it was a blowout on the day of shootingm, there would be less of a turnout than if there was a blowout on 1 of the 2 days of shooting.

I also believe that the people that can get out one day would do that. Yes, this is in fact a tourney and I placed ok but I had a great time at the same time.
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #51
Slay Ride

Then....what constitutes a "blow-out". The boys in SC and NC fished 40-50 nm offshore in 4-6 ft seas with 20 kt winds on Saturday while the Gulf guys were sipping Gin and Tonics with their pinkies extended Friday night waiting for the sun to come up over LAKE GULF OF MEXICO. We ain't complaining, but it was freaking tough as hell for us but no one cares.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #52
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

We care Les!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:44 AM   #53
Spearooo

SBO III

Two days of shooting does sound interesting........
Old 05-26-2004, 09:22 AM   #54
Slay Ride

Quote:
Originally posted by Spear One
We care Les!
Thanks Kevin!! Wasn't looking for any sympathy, just saying that to promote a multi-regional tourney, weather conditions are a factor. If the Gulf is blown and SC is flat and the tourney is moved back a week and then it's vice-versa the next.......but the tourney happens....just things to think about, that's all. I'm still icing the bruises. Great to see you again. Les
Old 05-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #55
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Quote:
Originally posted by Slay Ride
while the Gulf guys were sipping Gin and Tonics with their pinkies extended Friday night waiting for the sun to come up over LAKE GULF OF MEXICO.
Hey only the free dive guys were doing that ! Word is that they were sipping Zimas.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slay Ride
Then....what constitutes a "blow-out". The boys in SC and NC fished 40-50 nm offshore in 4-6 ft seas with 20 kt winds on Saturday
I would have hated to have seen what you guys would have brought down if you had "calm" seas.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #56
gumshoe
Medium sized member

You go Les!

For what it's worth, I think the plan for this event went great. It allowed some of us from further away (team Spearit, Wilmington, NC) to participate when we would not usually consider it.

I agree, that for many of the above mentioned reasons, a two day tournament may be a better fit for some boats, especially a larger "overnighter" that may take less people to the Middle Grounds for multiple days of diving. That would, however, hinder local small boat owners and would require those of us from further away to make an even larger time commitment to participate.

I hope it stays as is, & promise to shoot the right kind of jack next time

gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #57
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Gentlemen,

I seem to have touched on a nerve!

I believe the 2004 SBO was an extraordinary tournament. See my other posts. Scotts willingness to try new ideas and tried & true ideas from other areas are some of the big reasons for it's success. The 2005 SBO will be unbelievable, regardless of the format!

Many of you agree that an extra day would be no problem and add dimensions and safeguards to the tournament.

Some of you think two days would drop entry numbers and favor only large live-aboard boats.
I'm wondering how many of you have experience in multi-day tournaments? Or do you just have crystal balls?

Today's go fast boats would still have as strong of an advantage on a two day trip as they do on a one day trip, long range and more time to dive, and they could fish a totally different direction on the second day. The moderately slow guys are stuck where we pick. Everybody would get double the time.
Mid-shore guys don't usually stack up with the way offshore guys on a one day tournament for grouper, snapper, hog and AJ anyway. It has always been that way, and that's why there are inshore categories. I fished 20' to 22' boats over more than a 2 decades in the St Pete Open and the best I ever got was 2nd AJ in offshore categories. But I still competed every year and won some nice prizes, and wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Rich, the first SBO and SPO were not and have never been broken, but now the SBO has the new Sunday weigh-in format and a best boat category. You know better than anyone when the SPO went to a Fri start and a Sunday awards presentation. These were improvements not repairs. BTW how did you like the Sunday weigh-in?

Rock, it was good meeting you and congrats on your strong finish! You and David Dauzat know how cool multi-day rodeos are better than all of us Florida boys. I've done 2 and I like 'em. (Ralph was an amazing weigh master with just a note pad on a clipboard! He looked at me like I pissed in his beer mug for taking those sheepie categories last year.) I'll see you at the Hell Diver Rodeo in less than two weeks!

Les, congrats as well! Sorry we did not get to talk. I never get enough time at these tournaments.

Bucket...just piss off! Want to arm wrestle for $100?

Jason, kudos for showing that hog you didn't weigh in, I just heard about it last night! I can believe many divers would shoot the same amount of premium fish even with a lower aggregate; but no way would they shoot more, especially not small fish and fish in low demand like sheepshead and triggers.

Some divers shoot the same amount of fish in aggregate tournaments as they do in big fish tournaments. Many shoot far less. Some of the St Pete Open guys would probably have that data. I've seen the coolers, big and impressive, not overly numbered.

Spearo...with all due respect you need to make up your mind! "a one day format is great and the two day format is not" (Not an exact quote, but it's the jist of what you first said)... then "two days would be intersting!" ????
You "passed on shooting hundreds of fish"...I'm really glad to hear that!
Then you quoted my very reasons, that lower aggregate limits will produce less kills. ????
Finally, "if I'm looking for ways to shoot more fish, blah blah"... how did you ever get that idea?
I shoot fewer fish these days, tournament or no, because I want quality not quantity!

Look around everybody, sportfishermen the world over are converting to catch and release. It's only been a handful of years since we had mystery fish tickets...(kill everything you can and redeem them for raffle tickets.) Times change and if we want to still have spearfishing as a sport and tournaments in which to compete, we need to let those old days go, and we better pay attention.

BTW Dave, since when are east coast grouper bigger than west coasters in late May? (Warsaws excluded)

Just some of my thoughts, but I could be wrong!

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 07-01-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #58
Spearooo

Yeah Yeah

Whats the problem with saying you love the tournament and then suggesting something you said sounded interesting. Im not saying I would have killed hundreds of fish had it not been for the tourney im saying the limit was reasonable, and much more restrictive than the current regs. All im saying is I could have easily limited on mangos but chose not to bc. I already had my three tourney fish. Believe me the fish I weighed were trophies in my eyes and weren't the result of a aggregate induced killing mode. Whats the problem of suggesting that had it not been for the tourney I would have done my best to limit on Mangoes the most provolent fish that day, personally I try not to shot mangoes less than 16-17 inches at the minimun, and at this one spot we went to, there was litterally hundreds of 20+ inchers granted not many true monsters but all very nice. I got three fat ones and called it a day on the snapps untill I saw a bigger one..
o yeah I only weighed 7 fish...No massacre..
I quess its just youthful indecission on my part, or mental rambling to suggest a possible change to something as great as the SBO
about the SBO III........

Old 05-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #59
Spearooo

SBO

If you are going to quote like that, ill tell you the truth, I was throwing you a bone to suggest what you said sounded interesting, I never said two day tourney format was no good all I suggested is we better prepare for an even more severe A$$ whoping from Headhunter. What you suggest is also an oxymoron lower the limit to shot less fish and then make it two days to shot more fish.. To me what sounds interesting is the fact of getting the most out of my diving experience since for me this was one the the biggest events all year, imagine what the SC could have done in 2 days....
Old 05-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #60
Charlestondivin

If we had to shoot 2 days in 4-6' (mostly 6) and drive all the way into the weigh in we might not make it!

I think a 2 day would hurt out of town participation. It would really make us think twice about attending SBO III.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote