Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #76
kywestfreediver

Send a message via AIM to kywestfreediver
Re: freediving

What is wrong with taking the freediving class to improve your freediving and safety? Because i am pretty sure they put a big emphasis on SAFETY right? I really like the idea of taking the course to improve my depth and time, so i can reach my goals and also be able to shoot more and bigger fish. Also, about the going to the market to talk about diving..notice the quote said "when i couldn't go DIVING".. not "couldn't go SPEARING." Maybe the fish aren't in, is it bad if i went out just to work on my breathold?? or should i sit around the marina on a beautiful day and talk about spearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pargo
I will only practice diving with a speargun in my hand looking for fish. I try to keep the two inseparable, doing it this way I feel I stay sharp in the water at all times.
I don't ever go out training without my gun b/c i am lazy and like to have my gun at all times in the water, but i think its a great idea. For one you can enjoy the ocean from a different view, but also like learning anything else you want to go in steps. Work on your freediving, and then work what you learn into spearfishing.. I'm not saying you should just freedive for months and then put the gun in your hand, but from time to time it wouldn't hurt to just freedive. I don't understand why you would be upset with your buddy for trying to improve himself without killing fish in the process.
kywestfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #77
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep

Send a message via AIM to DABEER

Average depth probly 15 to 20 due to the type of fish I like to eat with dives going much deeper for dog tooth or grouper with alot of the snapper and grouper in guam they like wrecks the start at about 60 and bottom out at 125 such as the toki maru but reef fish are tasty and easy to get like "hangoin" or orange tail tang time depends intirely on the day some days are good others bad in 15ft 3:45 in 125ft being my very limit about 18 to 22 seconds if i see something if i dont ill turn around at 90 and head up i have been freediving and spearfishing for money and fun for 16 years i got a jbl when i turned 6 (death to mullet)
DABEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #78
jackpine savage
Kill your food

I think the freediving course is a great idea. If he has a problem with it so what, if you feel like it makes you a better diver and you got your money out of it then who cares what he thinks. You are only as good at spearfishing as your diving allows, if you can improve your techniques as far as diving goes then it will only help improve your chances of bringing home dinner.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #79
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Are you saying freediving courses are in themselves useless or when people try to apply what they learn to spearfishing?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #80
Nate Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
Why do so many die in pools? Obviously because they didn't have a buddy there to save them (mistake #1) but were they trying to beat their best times or distances or just doing a normal workout?
I'm not sure that's true. I'm not certain, but I thought I read somewhere that those who black out in pools have a lower resusitation rate even when pulled out immediately. Perhaps someone who knows for sure could clarify.
Nate Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #81
Nate Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pargo
People that have drowned in very cold water can be successfully resuscitated after a very long time. I think there has been cases of over an hour in icy waters. A pool would typically be much warmer. Pressure could kick in some safety mechanisms too, no pressure in a pool. But mostly I think it's a meditative state that allows the body to be much further along in oxygen depletion by the time unconsciousness sets in.
Where did you find that? If you found it in some reputable literature, it would be worth posting here, since it pertains (sort of) to the subject at hand. Plus you could avoid looking like your theorizing out of that other orifice again.
Nate Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #82
Bill McIntyre

Here is a quote about pools from Blue Water Hunting and Freediving by Terry Maas.

Quote:
Medical researchers believe that many pool deaths, classified as drownings, are really the result of shallow-water blackout. Most occur in male adolescents and young adults attempting competitive endurance breath-holding, frequently on a dare. Drowning victims, especially children, have been resuscitated from long periods of immersion in cold water- 30 minutes or more. The same is not true for victims blacking out in warm-water swimming pools. Warm water hastens death by allowing tissues, especially brain tissues, to continue metabolizing rapidly; with out oxygen, irreversible brain damage occurs in minutes.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #83
BreathlessSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre
Your reply was kind of vague, and I'm not even sure you understood the question. It was in reference to

It sounds like you do know somebody like that.

Oh ya, yes just about everyone on this thread but you and who ever else isnt in thier early 30's. Gotcha I did misunderstand that. I took it for sarcasm.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote