Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #61
blueh2oboy
Professional Snorkeller

Re: Max Depths?

My best fish I've taken at 50 ft or less. I'm usually the weakest link when we dive. There is no reason to go deep all the time, whats important is going to the depth where the fish are.
Being able to go deep I equate into haveing that extra little bit when you need it. After you shoot a fish and you have to fight him that extra few seconds. Recovering faster so you can get back down quicker. Hovering at 70 feet and being able to go that extra 20 feet halfway through the dive when you see that fish you really want. You'll hear the majority of people say they go as shallow as they possibly can.

Might go look for some Tilefish later this year when i figure out how to break 65 ft though so maybe we'll see what depths we can hit. Think I'll be bringing RedTide with me though so he can bring me back up.

www.Spearblog.com Stories, videos, how-to, pictures, and all out spearfishing lies from Cameron Kirkconnell

Team Riffe
SaltLife

www.youtube.com/user/cameronkirkconnell
blueh2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #62
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Good luck h2o.
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #63
EmbolizedDiver
Omer whore

here in hawaii you can be 2 miles off shore and be in 1800' of water, but as the island i live on is regularly fished, the fish seem to get pretty damn smart in shallow depths as natural selection seems to get the stupid ones and we are left to hunt the smart ones. but if you can dive deep 70-100' you can dive bomb almost anything here. keep in mind we have different fish too. I've learned alot spearfishing in hawaii, especially the hunting aspect and the tricks of the trade, and if you can spearfish here you can spearfish anywhere. The fish here are alot smarter than anywhere else I have lived. I lived in south florida before I moved to hawaii.

I hunt at around 50-90' can lay on the bottom for a few at those depths. most of the wrecks here are in 100+ water. It is always cool to go out there and see the scuba divers down there and then here I come w/ a speargun and a wetsuit. I just simile because I know they are thinking "WTF??" I have had some close calls in the 120' plus range but those dives where only for shits and giggles. could have been my last so i guess it would have not been that funny.

deepest I have ever been 244' I am a deep sea diver though and that was on He02 during a training dive.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #64
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

Embolized,

You're not joking about the fish over there!!! When we did the Nationals on the Northshore we found we couldn't use floatlines because the fish were so spooky. Had to hunt w/ reel guns the entire time. And the trick to getting fish seemed to be hide/lay on the bottom and wait for as long as you could possibly hold your breath and hope that a fish got curious enough to come close enough for a shot. I remember having to do 2 min dives in 30 feet trying to get fish to come in, which is utterly ridiculous over here.

We had 1 death from SWB that tournament and another 2 divers BO'd or samba'd but recovered on their own. Spooky fish in deep water can do that to you!

Scott
Muay Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #65
EmbolizedDiver
Omer whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay Thai View Post
Embolized,

You're not joking about the fish over there!!! When we did the Nationals on the Northshore we found we couldn't use floatlines because the fish were so spooky. Had to hunt w/ reel guns the entire time. And the trick to getting fish seemed to be hide/lay on the bottom and wait for as long as you could possibly hold your breath and hope that a fish got curious enough to come close enough for a shot. I remember having to do 2 min dives in 30 feet trying to get fish to come in, which is utterly ridiculous over here.

We had 1 death from SWB that tournament and another 2 divers BO'd or samba'd but recovered on their own. Spooky fish in deep water can do that to you!

Scott

Yeah a hawaiian legend died that day I believe.

Laying on the bottom and waiting is what we do here. To get big reef fish you have to stir their curiosity or you will never shoot a thing. grunting and stirring up the sand can help. especially for the uhu's. their curiosity will always get the best of them, but a good breath hold helps. All of my guns have reels, as i wouldn't have it any other way. the mobility is great not having to worry about a float and float line.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #66
23six
Kalea Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_720 View Post
ohhh man that sucks he just got blown up lol lmfao
I'm pretty sure he has graced the cover of HSD...so I don't think he really has anything to prove to us...but I could be wrong on this.
23six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #67
EmbolizedDiver
Omer whore

I think I have that issue. Lemme check. Most of the guys that "grace" the cover are usually from hawaii or local. not to many italian freedivers grace the cover as it is a hawaii magazine.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #68
BreathlessSight

Man, I feel bad... That was a typo, Im truely sorry about misleading folks. I have only been 120ft. Although Derek LeVault, a diver you may have seen in recent HSD mags, is probably the most talented freediver I have seen. He told me he has reached over 200ft. Im not sure what kind of freediving it was but I think it was variable weight. Last time I was in Hawaii I dove with Kurt and Derek. We were going to attempt some variable weight on the backside of rabbit island. But we ran into a lot of wahoo and started hunting them instead of trying for new PB's. You can check out the pics I took of Kurts wahoo at his photography site http://www.freedivephoto.com/gallery/ono/ I know I can get way further than 120ft via free imersion or variable but Im lacking the freediving enthusiastic here unlike my friends in Hawaii.
Just to answer some of the question I saw reading back. To equalize at that depth one would use the mouthfill technique or hands free. I havent reached 220ft, instead I have gone 120ft but soon want to blow that out of the water. It is I on the cover of the new HSD. Im not Italian but was born and raised there for 5 years. It doesnt matter if your Hawaiian or not to get on the magazine, anyone can do it. I was fortunate enough to have Kyle Nakamoto come out and film the adventure while Kirby Fukunaka took pics. You can check out Kirbys' interesting blog here http://www.go-naminori.com/kirbyfukunaga/ HSD travels the world to bring stories to the magazine. Through the magazine they share with everyone what they whitnessed while spreading the meaning of Aloha.
Hawaii is an awesome place. Last time I was there I was lucky to have a mother humpback whale and calf approach our kayak. We dove in and took some pics. It was the best thing I have ever whitnessed in the water. Majestic you could call it. The calf approached me and the mother watched. Meanwhile Kurt was trying as hard as he can to get the photo shot. You can see that adventure here http://www.freedivephoto.com/gallery/whales/
As far as spearfishing. Well I think its just the same as some of the other tropical and subtropic islands I have been to. Reef fish dont admire the float lines. One person mentioned diving down and staying for as long as you can till the fish is curious. I would have to add in a personal experience to that. I was with Kurt and Derek diving in Feb. I found that the deeper you go the dumber the fish are. Derek was making repeated dives to 80+ft and came up everytime with a good sized Moana kali or Uku. I also made some drops and was shocked at how fast the fish came in. You do have to practice new techniques such as laying on the bottom, throwing sand, etc. if your not use to that type of diving. I thaught it was a coincidence but Derek assured me his depth theory was true.
Also Derek is coming out with a spearfishing DVD this month. I posted what the covers look like in the hawaii section. Check it out! Im sure it will be a good piece. Its all filmed in Oahu and while freediving.
Once again Im sorry I mislead some of the younger guys. It was all a typo on my part, rushed at work or fat fingers. Anyhow I appologize for the false info and that I didnt see this error earlier until after I posted some things to sell I scrolled up and saw this thread. LOL I thaught it was new and I was interested to see what it was. Come to find out I already posted in it.
Freediving is a beautiful and relaxing thing. But I urge people to take it seriously it can be very dangerous.

Last edited by BreathlessSight; 03-31-2008 at 10:28 AM.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #69
jfjf

Thanks for correcting the typo, Breathless. I think I learned a lesson.....Maybe we should all have the courtesy to pm someone at the same time we wave the BS flag in the public forum against them?

In this case, it would have avoided the confusion.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #70
Mattedhead
Matt Head

I apologize for the BS Breathless. I will delete any posts regarding this.

Take care and dive safe.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #71
BreathlessSight

Hey once again I appologize. I appreciate the understanding. Dive safe everyone!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #72
oto_gc
I like diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathlessSight View Post
Hey once again I appologize. I appreciate the understanding. Dive safe everyone!

bro, 220, 120, you're still a great freediver, should be no problem for you to break that PB. no kidding about Derek, some of those pictures are just amazing. thanks for sharing good stuff with us.
oto_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #73
Man-O-War
Lothario

Quote:
Originally Posted by oto_gc View Post
bro, 220, 120, you're still a great freediver, should be no problem for you to break that PB. no kidding about Derek, some of those pictures are just amazing. thanks for sharing good stuff with us.
You should post pics of PB Cobia, you underwater sniper you!
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #74
BreathlessSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oto_gc View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I envy those fish your holding up in that avatar. Florida seems to have some nice fish.
Did you see the pics on www.freedivephoto.com of the ones where Derek (In Cressi Suit) was at 100ft on the deck of the ship? Some of the pics hes wearing sunglasses. LOL I thaught those pics were comical.
Ill have to share more stories. Its been awhile since I have posted one.
Take care!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #75
ApneaSpearo
surfunc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathlessSight View Post
Ill have to share more stories. Its been awhile since I have posted one.
Take care!
Kevin, your reports have always been some of the best on here, toss us a bone every now and then, I liked the reports and shit talking from the pacific before you guys went underground.

I thought the 220 was legit, probably variable weight, but legit. I can tell from your posts how serious you are about your training and diving and that's all it really takes. Good luck on your upcoming PB attempts, make sure you are doing things as safely as possible. We're going to dive for PBs here in Miami in two weeks as long as the weather cooperates.

Videos available at https://www.youtube.com/user/ApneaSpearo/videos
ApneaSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote