Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Justice Jonez

Sculpin Season Closed?

DFW website says closed Sept 1st to Jan 1st. No mention or specification on boat anglers, shore based, spearfishermen? Anyone know what the deal is? I spoje with a warden about it & he wasn't even aware of any closure... 😕 Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
GhostApe

Re: Sculpin Season Closed?

Sculpin take is closed 9/1 through 12/31 in some of the Groundfish Management Areas, but those don't apply to spearfishing. I haven't seen any special closure this year.
GhostApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
LookPointShoot

Handy dandy site right here: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing/...g-map/southern

Edit: site is wrong sometimes I guess

Last edited by LookPointShoot; 12-01-2017 at 11:58 PM.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
CaptainLeo

(1) California scorpionfish

(A) January 1 through August 31: Take is prohibited seaward of 20 fathoms in depth, as described by general depth contour lines along the mainland coast and along islands and offshore seamounts.

(B) September 1 through December 31: Closed.

(2) Notwithstanding subsection 27.20(b)(1)(C), when angling from shore (includes beaches, banks, piers, jetties, breakwaters, docks, and other man-made structures connected to the shore), only the species identified in (b)(2) above and California scorpionfish may be taken or possessed year-round. No vessel or watercraft (motorized or non-motorized) may be used to assist in taking or possessing these species while angling from shore under this provision.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection 27.20(b)(1)(D), when diving or spearfishing, as authorized in Section 28.90, only the species identified in (b)(2) above and California scorpionfish may be taken or possessed year-round. Except for spearfishing gear, all other types of fishing gear are prohibited to be aboard the vessel or watercraft (motorized or non-motorized) while spearfishing for the purpose of taking or possessing these species under this provision.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
Lukebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
Closed, including to spearfishing.

Handy dandy site right here: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing/...g-map/southern
I have been wondering the same thing about sculpin. The DFG website is conflicting. On the quick search(above) it states that sculpin is closed and does not make a distinction for spearfishers.

However in the current DFG official booklet and PDF it says sculpin remains open year round for free divers AND sculpin is not mentioned in any of the In Season Closures, as it should be if it differed from the 2017 booklet.

I really want to hear the verdict from an actual DFG employee.
Lukebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Lukebiker

I’m thinking sculpin are open to spearfishers year round, as they have been in the past and that the dfg website just has a typo that forgets to make the exception for freedivers, but wouldn’t want to risk a ticket before hearing from dfg.

I sure hope this thread gets a good answer because I’ve been passing on some nice sculpin this lobster season!
Lukebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
dctrjayyy

it is open year round for divers and shore based anglers per official regs. only boat based H&L closes
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Dayday

Just got off the phone with Andre Klein who is part of the ground fish management team at the DFG. It is open year round for divers and shore based anglers. He agreed that the website does not clarify that in the "Closed" section and he is reaching out to their IT department to clear it up online. But he confirmed it is open. Start blasting them!
Dayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Lompoc Local
Errin

Best ceviche fish out there IMHO

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayday View Post
Just got off the phone with Andre Klein who is part of the ground fish management team at the DFG. It is open year round for divers and shore based anglers. He agreed that the website does not clarify that in the "Closed" section and he is reaching out to their IT department to clear it up online. But he confirmed it is open. Start blasting them!
Thanks for getting the clarification on this. I made the same call last year and was told it was closed for everyone.

I think that time, though, it was due to a quota for sport-caught sculpin being met, so maybe that's the difference? Anyway, lame of them to make things so confusing.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Justice Jonez

The warden I spoke with eventually concluded that season is closed until the new year... Glad someone was able to clarify that it is open to spearos & shore based anglers year round, as it is written in the law, which is what I've been assuming all along...
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
Dayday

DFW website is updated. Shows it as "open year round to shore fishing and diving"

Go get them.
Dayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #13
carrasco

Stringer full of sculpin make for an interesting (bloopers) dive.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
Justice Jonez

I cut the dorsal pectoral & anal fins off in the water. The head/gill spikes wont go through the suit.