Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
wineyarders

Turks & Caicos from shore

I'll be staying at a house for about a week on the north shore of Provo and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for shore dives. I'll be diving in front of the house, but would like to know if there are certain parts of the island worth checking out.

I here you can't spear here, but what about collecting bugs and conch? Any info is appreciated, thanks.
wineyarders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
wineyarders

Re: Turks & Caicos from shore

Following up in case anyone down the road has the same questions I did.

Spent 1 week on Provo, in a house on Blue Mountain on the water on a family trip, was the only diver (free or otherwise) in the group. No spearing in Turks and Caicos, but collecting (conch, lobster) with a temporary permit in non-protected areas was allowed, although a lot of the waters immediately around Provo are protected. In some spots it was Nintendo Jaws all over again, pretty good conching. Was surprised I didn’t see more bugs though. Also, thought about heading stateside with some fresh conch but couldn't find out if this was legal or not. Glad I didn't try, no snail meat can be brought into the US.

Grace Bay has a barrier reef about 1 mile from shore with patches all the way to the shore, with reef running along the shore. Immediately along the shore, at least around Turtle Cove and to the west where I was, there is good reef, clarity ranged from 20-40 ft. and it was all shallow (< 10 ft.) Still was fun, plenty of fish and structure, even some fish that looked like they would be tasty. Getting away from shore things opened up a bit, you can see patches of reef from shore, particularly from elevated spots. Vis was better, the water a little deeper, although still shallow (up to 20 ft maybe), the reef healthier and more dynamic. While on shore I made a mental note of the patchwork and hopped from one patch to the next. Was able to cover a lot of reef off the shore this way. Between patches was mostly grass beds that were sprinkled with cuda and conch. Was able to grab a kayak and get out to the barrier alone, well worth it. Really made the trip for me. Stayed on the inside of the barrier, but vis was much better (75 ft or so, maybe more) and much healthier reef and more diverse life. All sorts of big things like nurse sharks and rays to swarms of pretty little things like tangs, wrasses, etc… Still shallow though (<25 ft).

Dove the south side once while at the beach with the crew. All sand, very shallow, not worth the trip is you want to dive. At least this was the case around Taylor Bay and Sopadilla Bay. Spent the day on the Northwest Point next to the Amanyara resort. This spot had some serious potential. About 1/2 mile from shore were dive moorings. Looked like there was a serious drop off so probably some good walls. Plenty of inshore reef here too. I didn’t venture out to the moorings on my own as there were some boats around, I had no flag, and I had no idea if the current ripped through here or not. If I had the gear and a side kick it definately would have been doable. One could hook up with one of the many scuba outfits. Anyway, plenty to see closer to shore, and depth dropped quick. Didn’t explore any other islands unfortunately. Looked into renting a small skiff for the day, but by the time we looked into it the wind picked up and they stopped renting for the last couple days of the trip. The skiff would have been sweet. Next time.

Only the front half of my Odor pole spear in the pic by the way, left the band and base at home. And then forgot the damn thing at the house in Provo! Looks like a new stick is in my future.

Homemade conch salad:

1-2 conch, cleaned (I skinned the feet too), cut into small chunks
½ onion finely minced
1/8 tsp habanero minced fine
couple tbsp chopped cilantro
juice from 1-2 limes
2 tbsp olive oil
salt/pepper

Toss, let rest for a couple hours, serve as is or on a bed of Graceway greens.

Little rum and juice on ice, setting sun, good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3060051.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	98849  
wineyarders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Eibwen

Re: Turks & Caicos from shore

This is great info. Headed to Provo for a week in Oct. Staying at a large villa in the Leeward Settlement that has a dock.

Mulling whether I ought to bring my lionfish spear. A license costs $60 just to spear lionfish but on the other hand I'd be able to poke some fish...decisions decisions
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote