Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Nano

Riffe Euro 120 - What length 14mm Small ID to match stock 16mm bands power and recoil

Are any of you guys shooting 14mm small ID bands on your Riffe Euro 120?

If so, what length rubber and wishbone did you go with?

I like the limited recoil of the stock band configuration, but would like to go small ID.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Re: Riffe Euro 120 - What length 14mm Small ID to match stock 16mm bands power and re

14 (or 14.5mm) Small id, stretched to 360-380%
Will be as powerful (if not more powerful) than stock 16mm, less recoil and perfect match w/ the stock 7.2mm euro shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Nano

Re: Riffe Euro 120 - What length 14mm Small ID to match stock 16mm bands power and re

Nice, thanks! Do you know what length that equates to for a 120?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Mana'squal

Measure distance from band slot to shark fib multiply by 2 subtract length of wishbone. Divide by 3.6 or 3.8 for band stretch. Add 1 inch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Nano

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #6
spearq8

With a 6.5mm to 7.2mm shaft, you actually will get better performance with small ID bands that are around 13.8 to 14.2 mm thick. Those bands at 360% will give you better performance than the thicker small ID bands (say 14.7mm small ID) ... even if you push the thicker bands to 380% stretch. It is a strange phenomenon and seems counter intuitive, but that is what testing shows It is only when you start going to heavier shafts that the additional thickness and increased band stretch will give you a performance boost. My guess is that the thinner bands are already getting the shaft to Terminal Velocity and thus when you go over that, you are just introducing energy that is detrimental to shaft stability and can hurt performance. This is something I have observed for a long time, but I put up a video where you can actually see that in a live test.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
With a 6.5mm to 7.2mm shaft, you actually will get better performance with small ID bands that are around 13.8 to 14.2 mm thick. Those bands at 360% will give you better performance than the thicker small ID bands (say 14.7mm small ID) ... even if you push the thicker bands to 380% stretch. It is a strange phenomenon and seems counter intuitive, but that is what testing shows It is only when you start going to heavier shafts that the additional thickness and increased band stretch will give you a performance boost. My guess is that the thinner bands are already getting the shaft to Terminal Velocity and thus when you go over that, you are just introducing energy that is detrimental to shaft stability and can hurt performance. This is something I have observed for a long time, but I put up a video where you can actually see that in a live test.

http://youtu.be/FSK4HkkimXk

Interesting observation. However, most manufacturers will market their bands as either 14mm, 14.5 or 15mm

Iíve yet to come across a manufacturer that will advertise their bands as 13.8mm or 14.2mm.

Another note, Iíve noticed a difference between surface shooting vs shooting at 100ft deep. You definitely lose power compared to the surface, whether itís related to pressure affecting your bands therefore contractility vs additional phenomena etc.... for example, Iíve noted that my speargun will pull double wrap + ~2-3ft of reel line at the surface but at 100ft down, barely pull the end of both wraps. I would like some objective testing if possible too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Marco

If I was you, I'll cut the bands to 320% and try them. You can always cut an inch or two.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Nano

I really appreciate it everyone, thank you.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
Coos-spearo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4LcJgwV3s
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote