Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Straits

Merbau wood

Hi everyone,

I am keen to use a single solid straight piece of merbau wood for a short crayfish gun:
https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...er-trees/kwila

I've read various reports that it floats, and others that it sinks. I'd keep the blank and barrel large and bulky, fit the hardware, then shave off slowly till buoyancy was achieved, but I'm worried it would be doomed from the start if the piece I got was too dense and it sank straight from the start. Obviously different sections and cuts will be variably dense, and some may float or sink, but I don't know how to tell this till I cut a block and try it.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks
Straits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Straits

Re: Merbau wood

I've searched and read this and other forums, and obviously guys build some great looking guns out of it. Just worried I'll purchase this wood and not be able to use it.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
doyenofcastle

ulusub is the one who know more about merbau ,I have similar wood from africa ( bilinga) I made mistake and didn't let dry enough and end up cracked ,but heavy wood = canon gun not short or thin
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Behslayer

The good news is that you want a Crayfish gun to sink right? The bad news is a short Merbau gun will sink. Even if you keep it fairly bulky and use lighter hardware it will be on the edge. I couldn't see anything less than 120cm total length and quite a robust volume with no reel and a light shaft and light mech being anything but a real sinker. but that might not be a bad thing for a cray gun?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
Straits

Thanks for the replies.

Behslayer, the blocks I can get are 90mmx90mmx2400mm. If I kept the barrel at 70mm or 80mm width x 1050mm length do you think it would float a 90cm long 7mm diameter stainless shaft with neptonics reef mech? Are there positively buoyant handles that would help float that end against the weight of the mech and trigger etc..?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #6
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
The good news is that you want a Crayfish gun to sink right? The bad news is a short Merbau gun will sink. Even if you keep it fairly bulky and use lighter hardware it will be on the edge. I couldn't see anything less than 120cm total length and quite a robust volume with no reel and a light shaft and light mech being anything but a real sinker. but that might not be a bad thing for a cray gun?
question related to mebau , heavy wood gun no lead VS light wood gun with extra lead ,recoil behavior of both in same environment considered same design and shape .
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Charles dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straits View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Behslayer, the blocks I can get are 90mmx90mmx2400mm. If I kept the barrel at 70mm or 80mm width x 1050mm length do you think it would float a 90cm long 7mm diameter stainless shaft with neptonics reef mech? Are there positively buoyant handles that would help float that end against the weight of the mech and trigger etc..?
potentially you could adjust weight with ballast except that here you would not use lead but could use an expanding foam or cork, neoprene, anything light...

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
Charles dT is offline   Reply With Quote