Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
23dorado

Lurker intro and need Tampa dive shop suggestion

Howdy, long time reader and infrequent poster. I primarily dive/spear outta Tarpon Springs area and I often have trouble finding divers to join me. My boat isn't ideal for offshore but I have no issue running out 30+ miles if the weather is good. I'd also like to make some contacts to catch rides/split costs. I can go most weekends or occasionally week days.

Also, I was signed up for the nitrox class at bill jackson's tonight and drove all the way over there and they canceled it. I normally get air fills at Scuba quest in Brandon but they want 2 check out dives to get a nitrox card. Can anyone recommend a shop in Tampa or Brandon for a nitrox class? Any thoughts on Depth Perception on 301? I would also be willing to drive to st. pete area but prefer Tampa or Brandon.

Thanks.
23dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
UFG8R

Re: Lurker intro and need Tampa dive shop suggestion

Scuba city in lol is good. Great prices on 100 fill cards. We run out of gulf harbors and often need a diver. 27world cat.
UFG8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
saltydog7seas
Hog Assassin

I'm in NPR also near Trouble Creek. I don't have a boat but I get rides a lot. If either of you need an extra on a saturday for a split trip let me know. (Mike 458-1461)

It's really strange, I haven't heard anyone else but me with a good story about Super Sports and Scuba but in the past two years I have gotten my tanks filled there every time but maybe once or twice and I always take my gear there for service. They are located on 19 in the old Wood You plazq. And are impossible to get to answer a phone.

I did my nitrox there and the class for AOW. We have had conflicting schedules and I have not been able to do the AOW checkout dive but that is mostly because it's not convienient for me. He has also never charged me for the class.

I typically drop my tanks off and tell them I will be back in 2-3 days. Out of at least 60 times dropping off equipment there it has only not been ready when they said it would be maybe 5 times. When I find another dive shop that will fill my LP 120 and 95's with 36% to 3000psi for $5 I might think about changing.

I also just dropped off one of my LP 95's for vip and nitrox cleaning. I came back when they said it would be done but it hadn't been cleaned yet. I came back for it two days later and a vip, cleaning and full overfill of 34% cost me $30.

I personally am not a fan of Scuba West but don't know enough to say anything bad about them. Joyce at Narcossis has some of the best customer service around and I have nothing but good things to say about them except for being overpriced (IMO). I have never been there, but my good friend Russ swears by Captain Gene at Aquatic Adventures in Land o Lakes. I have heard nothing but good things as far as price and service go.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
RichBolduc

Send a message via AIM to RichBolduc

EZ Scuba in Tampa is where I got all my certs from (OW, AOW, Nitrox, Deep, Wreck, Cavern, Rescue, and Adv Rec Trimix)... I'm starting my DM course there in a couple of weeks too...

I generally dive out of Clearwater or Ozona Blue... Working on getting my boat together now (a 26' Stamas Standard)... so I'll be looking for people to go out with.
RichBolduc is offline   Reply With Quote