Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
Benny

Towing a RIB with VW Eurovan

I'm seriously considering getting a 93 Eurovan with a 5 speed manual. I am really curious though if it'll have the stank to pull a 15 ft rib/motor, cooler of ice, gas, etc. Lets say 1500-1700 lbs max getting towed.

I have no doubt it can get around town, freeway and flat ground fine. My big concern is coming home from CIH up the 101 out of Camarillo. Am I gonna be 2nd gear pinned just trying to crawl up up that hill or can I reasonably hope to get 50-55 MPH up it.

I spent a lot of time as a kid road tripping in a old VW Bus and getting a eurovan has been something I've wanted for a while to get that nostalgic feel of being out on the road with my family in VW.

But...if it can't tow my little boat, I might hold off for a bit.

Anyone been through this or have a buddy getting around with one?

Side note, I know they have more power but I'm not interested in a later model with the VR6 due to the time bomb transmissions in them...

Thanks!
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
schwaman

Re: Towing a RIB with VW Eurovan

Dont know about towing capabilities, but i love my vw california ( thats what its called in europe)
Great car
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 AM   #3
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

You will probably have issues going up the grade with that van. I have a Dodge 1500 and ive pulled boats equal to the weight of my truck. I almost always slow down to 40 mph. Just stay on the right lane with your hazzards flashing and you should be fine. Not sure what type of torque a Vdub has but if you live in Simi why not just take the 118 through Somis? That would be a better ride than hitting the grade and the 23.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:36 AM   #4
norcalsurfer

Been in the V-dub club since '03, and like yourself, was jammin' around in VW vans as a kid. Would love to get another van.

Anyway, not sure of your specific setup, hp/torque of the van, but this may be useful in comparison. As a kid we had an 18' Bayliner bass/ski open bow boat with a 175hp outboard on it. My dad towed it with a 1986 Mazda B2000 pickup truck. It was a 2-banger 4 cylinder with exactly 0 balls. I know because it became my truck when I turned 16. No nuts at all. We all piled into the truck (mom, dad, brother and I, and the Akita), and would LOAD the boat down with all of our heavy camping gear and tow it all over the place. Not fast at all but it got the job done. Only down side was having to replace the clutch due an underpowered truck and steep ass boat ramps.

Here's the specs on the truck engine: The B-2000 SE-5 is powered by a 120.2-cubic-inch (two liter or 2,000 cc), four cylinder, overhead camshaft engine rated at 78 horsepower at 4,300 rpm and 111 foot pounds of torque at 2,400 rpm. Although 78 horsepower may not sound like a thriller for a vehicle weighing in at 2,500 pounds and, chances are, there won't be any victory at the end of a racing tour but things aren't all that bad. The lower truck gearing helps out with acceleration and passing.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Benny

Decided to pass on a van for the time being. I did however get a Subaru that I plan to tow with. See how that goes...
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote