Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
NorCal Hunter

Cabo San Lucas Spearfishing

Does anyone have any info on spearfishing in Cabo. I will be going there in July 07 and wondering if anyone has any info on spearing there, charter or otherwise?
NorCal Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Re: Cabo San Lucas Spearfishing

Contact Desea Adventures, and ask for Andrea Tomba at www.deseabaja.com
monster slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Bill McIntyre

I've never been there, but there have been posts in the past that said that Cabo was absolutely hostile to spearfishing. I hope some of those folks will tune in with their experiences.

I certainly second the recommendation to contact Andrea Tomba. My experience with him was when he was still a partner in the Cortez Club in La Paz, but he is top notch. I think he operates farther north, but if you can't use his services, he might at least be able to give you the facts on Cabo.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
PV_Spearo
Addicted Fish Raper

Send a message via AIM to PV_Spearo

They are pretty hostile there, and most of the good bluewater spots are VERY crowded with fishing boats.
It is possible though.
PV_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Mark302

I just got back from a five day trip to Cabo, but unfortunately it was for a wedding and not diving. I did get out twice for little snorkeling trips with friends, but it was more of a tropical fish/tourist type of dive. I went out fishing on another occasion and we took a 28' 4-pack that cost us about $450 including fishing permits and takle/bait etc. The conditions out there now are pretty sweet with 80-84 degree water and infinite vis 15 miles out. We caught 10 YFT, 2 Dorado, 5 sharks, bonita and a few other small fish. We found 4 seperate logs floating out there and each one was loaded with big Dorado that weren't willing to bite. I would have done anything to have my gear with me and jump in on those spots. Our captain did frown upon spearfishing, but I'm sure they would invert their frowns for the right price. I wish I had more info for you regarding spearfishing in Cabo. Let us know what you figure out, as I am planning on going back next year and hoping to get some spearfishing in also.
Mark302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

the pangero are really spearo hatred so to speak, but that is a World wide issue. There is no point's to claim San lucas as a no no area for spearfishing, there is just not legal base to claim that. Contact a pro guide and let him deal with the problem ...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark302
I just got back from a five day trip to Cabo, but unfortunately it was for a wedding and not diving. I did get out twice for little snorkeling trips with friends, but it was more of a tropical fish/tourist type of dive. I went out fishing on another occasion and we took a 28' 4-pack that cost us about $450 including fishing permits and takle/bait etc. The conditions out there now are pretty sweet with 80-84 degree water and infinite vis 15 miles out. We caught 10 YFT, 2 Dorado, 5 sharks, bonita and a few other small fish. We found 4 seperate logs floating out there and each one was loaded with big Dorado that weren't willing to bite. I would have done anything to have my gear with me and jump in on those spots. Our captain did frown upon spearfishing, but I'm sure they would invert their frowns for the right price. I wish I had more info for you regarding spearfishing in Cabo. Let us know what you figure out, as I am planning on going back next year and hoping to get some spearfishing in also.
God Dammit Mark! and they wonder why The Sea of Cortez is running out of fish and shark, Damn pangueros, not even in my wildest wet dreams i would land so many fish with my Spear .... Hypocritical bastards!!!

Last edited by monster slayer; 11-13-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:38 AM   #8
southbound
Low Now

I have tried on several occasions to spear off a boat in Cabo. Having a 10 year relationship with an operator of a fishing boat down there did not help me. On two seperate attempts I took my gun onboard in a tube, assembled it out at sea and tried to use it and was shot down(with prior permission from the operator). I feel the skippers down there really could care less, but there seemed to be an underlying issue they would have to deal with later if they got caught. There have been several arguments Legal/Illegal on this board. I have not seen any reg's, it seems to me anyplace north of Cabo there is much less of a problem. The only luck I have had in Cabo is driving toward the East Cape and diving off the beach. You can get into lot's of quality fish right off the beach. I have decided to leave well enough alone while in Cabo itself, 30 miles up the road is a different story
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:37 AM   #9
zenspearo

Yep, it's sad.

We spearo have to make an effort to open up more areas to spearfishing down there if we can. I heard Jay Riffe did the same thing years ago and opened up Baja spearfishing with his effort with the authorities down there.

Abreojos is pretty much no-spearing zone.

Loreto is getting really tight too. I have seen signs that says spearfishing is prohibited in the Loreto area but I haven't seen the regs, and whether it's Mexico or the US, I want to see the regs before accepting things as gospel.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
NorCal Hunter

Thanks for the imput, I do find it a bit odd I can shell out the bucks and R&R line fish for the above mentioned fish and with the exception of sails or marlin, they say you can keep your catch. Dive in and take one or two nice fish and I am now evil. Dont get it.
NorCal Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #11
Mark302

I wish I could say the 10 YFT we caught were big, but unfortunately none were over 10 pounds, and we released a majority of them. All 5 pilot sharks were released and the bonita were used in hopes of catching a marlin or sailfish (Which of course we didn't). One of the nights we took a booze cruz that took us by the arch and upon turning the corner of the point and into the Pacific we had a few Dorado (Estimated in the 15-20 pound range) jumping off the bow of the boat. This could be accessed from "Divorce Beach" but the boat traffic there is pretty brutal.
Mark302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
Mike_e_Pl

I'm heading down to cabo next week and wanted to take a lot of the guess work out of where to shore dive. Can you give me some specific spots that were productive and where it wasn't exhausting or overly risky entering and exiting the water? Looking for yellowfin/tail and grouper .. .

All the best,

Michael
Mike_e_Pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
bajahunter
MANIAC OF THE WEEK

Shore diving for Yellowfin, ???? Have you speared fish before???? Is this you first time

"LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY"
bajahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
JimmyJam

check out gordo banks pangas out of SJD
JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Mike_e_Pl

I have spearfished before but only for stripers and blackfish up in Rhode Island. Took the performance freediving course down in Miami. Bought a daryl wong 55 inch. I figure it's about time I popped my cherry on some real fish. The gordo bank pangas guys are giving me a lot of pushback so far. With less than a week to go, I'm to the point where I'm going to rent a kayak and take my chances.

Any thoughts?
Mike_e_Pl is offline   Reply With Quote