Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
Sanny

Re: 2020 pacific coast championships

If you can't figure out why I'm calling attention to how the rules of this competition could be better, then have the contest at your local spot.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #17
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanny View Post
The recipe ideas sound great, but the contest needs better rules. If most of the divers usually catch around four fish (as rojodiablo wrote), then a "three-best-fish" rule reflects the average that most contestants bring in during the contests anyway - why the need for rules that encourage a 20 fish limit?. Those rules don't even make sense to me. For example, 10 one-pound reef fish would get 20 points, whereas two eight-pound lingcods would get someone else 18 points. Do those rules support the way you think a contest should be won?
A point a fish, and a point per pound. Very simple rules.
I think if you guys SACKED-UP, and came and dove the tournament you would have a much better understanding of what it takes, to compete well.
The rules are VERY fair, and actually give bigger opportunities for newer, less skilled divers an opportunity to A: Actually compete, and B: to learn, more, much faster than they will poking around, just taking a fish here and there.

For the diver who knows what it takes, and how to find large fish, we cut their advantage by not allowing scouting, and choosing the location the night before. We do not allow GPS, smartphones, smartwatches, fishfinders. SO we remove a lot of advantage right there.
Second, with the points schedule the way it is, divers are able to take their limit of rockfish, and then from their they have the opportunities for lings, sheephead, halibut, and perch to fill out their bag. When I say the average diver weighs in 4 fish, they for the most part are taking between 4-8 rockfish, but have a few fish that don't break thru our 14" minimum size. Our perch are also set at 14"...... Don't know if you know what fecundity means, but we assure that our fish take is not damaging to the resource, because all of our fish have easily reached fecundity. Also, with 4 per species max, and only 2 sheephead allowed, and a minimum size of 18"- we keep the take limited on them, WELL BELOW the state guidelines.
So there we have it; in a nutshell. We are far more conservative than the state rules, we work hard to level the playing field for newer, less experienced divers. The tournament has been held consecutively for I believe 48 years now. And even with the switch to a no scouting format, and surprise location draws, the catch rates show an amazing consistency over this entire timespan, showing that the tournament is not damaging to the ecosystem.

You really should throw your hat in the ring, instead of crying and riding the douche canoe with the crew, and show us how to do it....... I mean, yeah- some of the girls are gonna beat you, but that's what makes it all fun!!!

To put it all in perspective; we have hundreds of divers, from Hawaii, to Vegas and Arizona, to Washington, to SoCal who come to dive the meet.
And every year, we have 3 or 4 persistent snivelers, who don't compete, who cry that if the rules were different..... they still wouldn't compete, but they wouldn't bleed out their pussies over the meet. And the tournament would suffer, and divers would be disenfranchised by that, all for the sake of guys who cry, Every. Single. Year...... We're not tossing a great thing and ruin it for hundreds, to try and please 4 guy who aren't going to be pleased anyway.

See ya in October!!!!
Old 12-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #18
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanny View Post
If you can't figure out why I'm calling attention to how the rules of this competition could be better, then have the contest at your local spot.
We have a tournament every month in our dive spots as well. You're welcome to come down and join us!!!!
Old 12-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #19
Sanny

Firstly, I apologize for my last post; it is not a good representation of my views. I'm stoked for everyone who is enjoying the ocean in whatever activity they're into and I enjoy traveling to do so as much as anyone.
Secondly, I feel that enough has been communicated from both points of view that we all have a better understanding of where each other is coming from and anyone reading through this thread will have an opportunity for a more informed choice as to whether or not to support this competition in the future.
Thank you for interacting with my comments.
Aaron
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #20
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Join us in 2021, you will have a great time, we will always work to make it fun for everyone.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #21
AJP
Reluctant User

Hey Paul, you're a class act in your responses on this thread.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #22
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Hey Paul, you're a class act in your responses on this thread.
It's been a long journey in spearfishing, and I first dove that area in 1995, my first competition there was 1996. Too broke to buy a kayak, I was a shore diver.
....... I threw up in the water, it was ROUGH. But I got a lot of confidence from Bill Ernst, as he saw me blow chunks out my snorkel, then a minute later take my first ling in competition, and he smiled and said "I'm thinking you are gonna be alright..."
It was at that moment, I realized this was one of the places where the new divers could break their balls and give the top divers a run for their money. I'll never do any diving that I feel is damaging to the ocean. And I am always mindful of how hard some of us worked to get to a high level, and I want to be sure I keep that alive and well for the new divers who are coming in, and I also want it to be there for the older divers, who have so little opportunity, or lesser abilities.
Yeah, we dive insanely hard, that one day a year. We take enough fish that we can have fresh rockfish for Thanksgiving, and Xmas. We also share a lot of fish with our older divers and family. I have a couple of old guys and their wives who love fresh whole rockfish; I am thrilled to drop a big red on them, or a ling. We reveled in their diving prowess twenty years ago, as they were already old then, they were the masters. Now, they live vicariously thru us- they pull me aside a week before the meet.... "Now Paul, I want you to pour i on for me next week. Kick some ass, make the old man happy. Seems like only a couple years ago, I was plowing you under like a field.... I wish I was still able to. But do it for me, since I can't."
I'm 100% free with any hints, information, gear and setup for anyone. I want to see everyone come out and enjoy it, to a level that I do.
I hope more of the locals will. If they are logical about it, they will realize that we take far less than the seals and sea lions ever will. The otters are more damaging than we are, by infinium. We are just a small part of the big picture.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #23
pozofreediver

Any word on PCC 2021??
pozofreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #24
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozofreediver View Post
Any word on PCC 2021??
Don Clutts from CenCal will be hosting the meet this year, no particulars yet that I have heard of, I will look into them and get back on this thread for you guys.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #25
knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozofreediver View Post
Any word on PCC 2021??
Was getting nostalgic and found this thread. PCCs 2021 are happening THIS weekend. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCCs2021.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	247418  
knower is offline   Reply With Quote