Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Miamidj2

Painting deck of 22' Angler

Hey everyone I was wondering what would be the best (not $$awl-grip$$) paint for the deck? I have been looking into the Interlux brand and Petit and between the both would prefer the Interlux. Anyone ever worked with this paint? Steps for prepping? Durability? The boat currently has a diamond grid non-skid and was wondering if I can just give it a few coats of primer to make it smooth and then add silica sand to the paint and make it Non-skid. Any advice would be great thank you.
Miamidj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
smilinmatt
Matt Brueckner

Re: Painting deck of 22' Angler

I haven't used Interlux, but I've used Petit Easypoxy and it was very easy to scratch. System 3 makes a really good, tough LPU paint - it's also cheap as far as boat paints go. I used it on my 5 year old boat, and there hasn't been any paint problems in that time. I bought mine from bateau.com.

The silica sand works good as a non-skid, but tends to look dirty after a while. You lose lots of pieces over time, and the holes are tough to keep clean. One thing I've seen done that looks good is to paint the base coat white or off-white, and then use a sponge to dab on a darker colored paint with the non-skid in it.
smilinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
FishyFlorida

If you want it to last longer than a year, use a two part paint - if not Awlgri*, then use Imron or Sterling. Imron is mainstream paint used on autos, big trucks and planes, so the price is better. Use the non-skid additive designed for the paint, or a thickener and roller method also works depending on the non skid surface you want.

The actual cost of the paint is small compared to the amount of work involved. In my opinion it's not work the trouble to get a cheap one-part paint and either need to redo it or have it look bad in a short time.
FishyFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Mariner
...Diamonds on my neck...

+1.....
With all the prep work involved,the cost of the Awlgrip shouldn't be a deterrent. Awlgrip resists fading,holds up better, and looks better..IMO..

Last edited by Mariner; 06-17-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Mattedhead
Matt Head

I have used innerlux toplac...it isn't very durable and it is VERY slick. It has teflon in it which works great for clean-up, but it has scratched pretty easily and does not hold up well to solvents at all.

Good luck and post some results
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamidj2 View Post
Hey everyone I was wondering what would be the best (not $$awl-grip$$) paint for the deck? I have been looking into the Interlux brand and Petit and between the both would prefer the Interlux. Anyone ever worked with this paint? Steps for prepping? Durability? The boat currently has a diamond grid non-skid and was wondering if I can just give it a few coats of primer to make it smooth and then add silica sand to the paint and make it Non-skid. Any advice would be great thank you.

Why go thru with a job that requires so much work and prep if not to do it right? I have done countless decks. There is only one paint to do this and it is called AWLGRIP and the US PAINT nonskid additive called GRIPTEX. Anything short of that is not doing it justice. And the diamond pattern needs to be taped off and sanded down FLUSH with an orbital DA, down to 100 grit before primer(545 anti corrosive). Do it once correctly and it will last another 10 years.

PS: NEVER USE SAND AS A NONSKID! You can't sand it down for a recoat and will need to use a heat gun or stripper to get it off. Also, Griptex stays in suspension when stirred in and applies evenly throughout the whole application with but an occasional stir. Educate yourself and do the job right. You can use GRIPTEX with any paint and it will sand out with even a 600 grit wetsand. DO NOT USE FOKIN SAND!!!!!

If you have any questions ask here and I will respond. It will be a good resource for guys in the future.

PS. I have used all Interlux and Pettit products as well. That is not the product you want. It will deteriorate the fastest in the sun fading and peeling.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Miamidj2

After removing all the wax and mildew with a dewaxer I began to sand everything down with 60 grit on the diamond skid and 80 on the regular painted surfaces. I will increase the grit number to 80 tommorrow on the non skid and 100 on the painted surfaces. This job is for real men the sanding part of this is no joke. Very dusty environment also very hot the sweat starts dripping down into the mask and makes it a pian in the ass to wear, and then the rain starts. Thank you all for the advice hope to continue hearing from you all. I am kind of leaning toward the awl grip paint due to the response from a lot of you guys. I guess its better to have a job well done than to do it over again.
Miamidj2 is offline   Reply With Quote