Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: Do you eat amberjack?
Yes (Tell us where and why) 131 59.82%
No (Tell us where and why not) 22 10.05%
I've never had the chance. 66 30.14%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #166
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Re: Do you eat amberjack?

No,because I have enough hog,trigger,snapper,groupr,lionfish,AP,cobia,tuna, wahoo,flounder,sheepshead and lobster so as to not have to eat AJ,kingfish or other cat food.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #167
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
No,because I have enough hog,trigger,snapper,groupr,lionfish,AP,cobia,tuna, wahoo,flounder,sheepshead and lobster so as to not have to eat AJ,kingfish or other cat food.
I don't eat AJ, mostly because of the reasons listed above. Except lionfish!

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #168
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

What is wrong with King Mackerel?
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #169
Danyanimal

Quote:
I've seen people talk about "AP" before a lot. I'm in California so I don't know FL fish that well. What's an AP?
Danyanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #170
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

African pompano.Likes structure,tops out around 50#,schools up,hangs out midwater.Firm meat similar to pacific yellowtail but better IMO.Beautiful fish,google up a pic.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #171
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshaft View Post
What is wrong with King Mackerel?
absolutely nothing wrong with Kingfish, one of my favorites grilled or blackened.

My friend Ced likes them as sashimi. Another favorite of mine; cut into small pieces, coat with yellow mustard, roll in zatarains fish fry mix, then deep fry.

KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #172
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
You f'in snob.

You probably don't eat mullet either?? I consider them better tasting than any of the above mentioned when caught the right time of year, properly prepared, and cooked.
I feel the same way about AJ. It's a nice firm meat great for grilling. Of course, preparation is everything. Not very good for freezing unless your willing to take the time to properly trim the red meat.
You eat frozen tuna?? Yuk. It better be some Albacore white or better. Wahoo?? Better be trimmed up really nice. Stop drinking the Hateraide.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #173
Danyanimal

Quote:
African pompano.Likes structure,tops out around 50#,schools up,hangs out midwater.Firm meat similar to pacific yellowtail but better IMO.Beautiful fish,google up a pic.
Ohh, I shoulda figured that. I've heard of them before. They look a lot like the lookdown jacks I used to take care of at the aquarium shop, haha.

Thanks for the info!
Danyanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #174
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Marcus, pretty much all tuna is frozen. Due to parasites it's a good idea.Mullet is baitI eat fish dip made with all that cat food,that's about it. I get called a fish snob all the time.Food snob in general .
Old 05-13-2015, 03:05 AM   #175
BROTHER BENNY

I can come up w/ 2 reasons why people dont eat AJ.....fraid of a beatdown to git it on the boat...and dont know how to cook it when the git it home.....worm thing is legit in some areas....i shoot and smoke em regularly...can count the worms ive found on them in 20 yrs on my fingers

Last edited by BROTHER BENNY; 05-13-2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added info
BROTHER BENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #176
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROTHER BENNY View Post
I can come up w/ 2 reasons why people dont eat AJ.....fraid of a beatdown to git it on the boat...and dont know how to cook it when the git it home.....worm thing is legit in some areas....i shoot and smoke em regularly...can count the worms ive found on them in 20 yrs on my fingers
I have found a very simple way to ensure the first doesn't happen, with any fish. A small spray bottle of VERY cheap vodka (get that white-label shiz from the liquor store) - spritz a few times in each gill. Automatically stuns/kills the fish. Pretty neat trick.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #177
BROTHER BENNY

DO WHAT!....I'M TALKIN ABOUT THE POTENTIAL "BEATDOWN" THAT OCCURS THE SECOND AFTER U PULL THE TRIGGER......THEY R GRAVEYARD DEAD WHEN I START UP THE ANCHORLINE.....THE VODKA SPRITZ WILL B MY REWARD
BROTHER BENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #178
FredT

When you hit the magic spot behind the eye where the hash mark crosses the lateral line there is no beat down at all!! Just a couple of twitches before you cut the throat to bleed them out while the heart still beats.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #179
Runngo
Drums 'n' Divin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I'm quite sure that some divers shoot them and don't eat them, although the title didn't imply that for me.

Its entirely possible that some divers don't shoot them because they don't eat them.

In fact, that might even be me. When I lived in North Carolina, I recall going down the anchor line and not even being able to see out through the amberjack circling me. But I didn't shoot them because right or wrong, I thought they were trash fish.

If you or someone else likes to eat them, then I don't look down on you for it. Hell, it may even mean that I need to overcome my old prejudices and branch out.

I'm not a better person because I don't eat amberjack, and someone else isn't a better person than me because he prefers chocolate and I prefer vanilla.

I made an arugula salad tonight, and the sauce I cooked for the pasta had fried capers, anchovies, lemon juice and lemon zest, and parsley. A lot of people wouldn't consider arugula even if they knew what it was, and they sure as hell would find the idea of frying capers to be foreign. I won't hold their taste preferences against them, and I hope they won't hold mine against me.

Its just a matter of taste for chrisake, and taste isn't character.
The best salads have arugula (in Europe they call it "Roko or Rocket" lol. Also in Europe, Bluefish is prized, especially the smaller ones, Bonito are actually sold and also considered good eating, (though I heard it has to be Atlantic bonito). Anyways, I always INSIST my salads have arugula. An arugula salad with prosciutto or brescola meats, mixed with fresh Parmesan cheese and some red wine?? Doesn't get better than that...same with a tuna salad, barely grilled on either side, with fresh arugula and a mix of other ingredients...MMMM-MMMM!
Runngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #180
blueopium

At home in Hawaii we generally don't bother with them, because they are usually full of worms and at risk for ciguatera.
I just took a couple of them down in baja over the last few days, at the urging of the panga captain . Meat was clean and delicious grilled over a low wood fire.
Would eat it again, in that area , in a heartbeat .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	217703  
blueopium is offline   Reply With Quote