Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
bluebacore

Nusa Tengara Barat Indonesia

Well there's been a lot of swell this rainy season. Which has made spearing a challenge at times not to mention bad vis from run off. But I've still been going every chance I get and going a few times I should have grabbed my surf board instead.
The beach diving has been pretty good having gathered a few decent snapper and other reef fish. More than enough to eat all the fresh fish my wife and I could eat and share the bounty of the sea with friends and neighbors not to mention the security guards at the beaches who let me park for free.
Even managed to stone a 35 pound giant sweet lip 20 or 30 meters behind the waves early one morning. Found it under a ledge in about 4 to 5 meters of water. I dropped down on top of the ledge and stuck my head over the edge to see if anything was hiding under it. Spotted the sweet lip thought it was a shark at first in the dark shadow under the ledge. I rolled over the edge and under the ledge as it was swimming away from me. It was running out of space as the ledge was not to long and as it turned to go out it gave me a broad side shot and I was lucky enough to put the shaft in its head eye level about 3 inches behind the eye. It didn't even flinch just rolled belly up as I swam over and grabbed it. It wasn't dead but paralyzed as I had hit it in the spine.
Had only a few chances to use a boat until this last week as my wife won't let me go with a boat alone. Went with some local friend's of mine a to a offshore spot a while back I saw several wahoo and a large school of 20 to 30 pound class barracuda. I did have one shot one a wahoo but missed and could not make it down to the barracuda as there was a strong current and you had to kick hard just to stay in place. One of my friends managed got get a small wahoo. Another one had hit 3 or 4 but was unable to land any of them.
Wanting to use a thicker shaft with shark fins rather than the 6mm shaft with groves cut in it to load the power bands as I had a shaft snapped in half last year when my shooting line wrapped on the coral and the fish made a hard right hand turn at high speed and snapped it. I modified my Cressi 110cm from closed muzzle to open muzzle and went with one 16mm band and one 17mm band.
Not being able to resist any longer as conditions were perfect about 2 weeks ago. I talked my wife into letting me use a boat to go out to a small rock island with a local friend who would stay in the boat and watch me as I dove. I had made a 20 meter float line to limit my depth when diving alone which is about 98% of the time. It probably really only allows me to get to 18 meters do to current and drag on the line. I have even chose not to shoot a few large fish from time to time either because it was to late in the dive or I could not be sure that I would be able to get back down to where they would most likely go and not having any back up it just didn't seem worth it to lose my gear or maybe worse if I was pushing it to much.
So we arrive at the little island around 2 in the afternoon I chose to use my 140 as I have seen large fish there before and the outside of the island is blue water. The water was a little dirty but not bad and I was seeing a fair bit of school fish in the top 10 meters of water. After about 20 minutes in the water I had dropped to about 12 meters and was waiting when I noticed a nice GT about 3 or 4 meter below me and a few meters out. I dropped down to its level. It was swimming parallel to me and still 3 or 4 meters in front of me then it changed direction and gave me a broadside shot. I let the shaft fly and it found the sweet spot the spine, eye level 2 inches behind the gills and it was paralyzed did not even move a foot. I swam over and grabbed it and headed to the surface. It weight in at 15 kilos. Called the boat over to grab it and found my friend was sick. I took a short rest and went back in saw a few nice green snapper but they were quite shy missed a nice blue fin trevally. Swimming around the side of the island I'm seeing a lot of fish in the top 10 meters and sweet lip and some snapper on the bottom. I make a dive to about 8 meter and stop as a big school of black drummer is coming at me I notice what looks like a 3 or 4 kilos big eye jack under them it gets within range and is several meters below me I shoot and hit it in the head with the shaft going out the bottom of its mouth. It fights harder than I expect and when I get a hold of it turns out to be 8 kilo GT. I had planned to stay out until just before dark hoping for some Spanish mackerel but after getting back to the boat and finding my friend had already puked twice and was not looking good we headed for the beach.
Had just got out of the water in the evening after a short dive. The water was very dirty and saw not point in staying any longer. Alex was just getting ready to go in I had never met him before but decided to let him know it was not worth it. We talked a little bit and I asked him if he would like to share a boat with me in the next few days. Answer was yes.
Dive one with Alex. It just happened the very next day the waves were small so I rolled over to his hotel and we headed out an hour after that back to the small island but this time the water was dirty and the surge was worse we tried for and hour but it was not going to happen. decided to go try a different spot but on the way a big rain storm came up so we went in.
Dive 2 with Alex. I had notice a few things that he needed some help with so I gave him a few pointers and took his gun home with me the day before we went so I could fix it up a bit for him. Made him a new shooting line and showed him how to rig it properly and we made him a new float line.
We arrived at the first spot and it looked good clear water and lots of bait and mild current saw quite a few threadfin a few small mackerel and even a couple of big eye bream but having grabbed my 140 and not wanting shoot it into the rocks I only shot 1 threadfin there. We moved to the second spot where there was a bit more surge but the water was clear and the spot had a lot of promise with a big cave and a large area of big boulders from 20 meters deep up to the shoreline shallows. Started with the 140cm but quickly changed to the 110cm I proceeded to knock down 6 sweetlips of 4 different varieties . All in the 1.5 to 3 kilo size. Got the black spot in about 15 meter after 3 attempts made a long shot 5 or 6 meters out from the tip of the gun and got lucky enough to hit it just behind the gills. Was actually quite surprised I hit it. Saw some nice blue trevallies there and almost had a shot on a big red snapper around 15 to 20 kilo size but it saw me before I saw it and was on its way out of the cave before I got close enough. We moved out to a offshore rock in the blue water where I have shot large barracuda before for a few minutes to see if anything was around there was quite a bit of life and I shot a small mackerel there.
Dive 3 with Alex. Alex had mentioned how he felt more stressed in the areas with more surge so I decided to try a new spot behind a small island protected by a head land. I could see he could use a few breathing technique tips so I told him a few simple ones. Probably some he already new but just needed a reminder of.
I had gone to Mataram and picked up a new 7mm shark fin stainless shaft the day before for my 110cm as my friend did not have any new better steel shafts available. We rigged it with cable shooting line. I shortened my short band to compensate for the heavier shaft and entered the water with the new shaft in the chamber. The spot was quite nice big boulders every where and very little current but not many big fish. So I made my way out to the back of the little island where I found a deep hole of which I never saw the bottom. It was a good 25 to 30 meters a crossed and ran right up to the back of the island. On my first dive into the hole I stayed very close to the steep slope I was descending on at about 10 or 12 meters I noticed a big cave on my right and headed over to it. a few meters outside the cave I saw 2 big red snapper or giant sweat lip could not tell which as they were in the shadow of the cave. I tried to move in for a shot but my float line had gotten caught on some coral at the rim of the hole and I could go no further. Then they noticed me and took off into the depths. I surfaced and pulled my buoy into the whole. Made another dive in the cave but everybody had left. So I moved a crossed the hole to the other side near the island took a nice rest and dove again. This time at about 5 meters down I noticed a good size GT swimming on its side heading into another big cave 10 to 12 meters below me. I swim down another 10 meters and wait outside the cave it turns around and comes back out of the cave still swimming on its side something I had not seen before. Its still 3 to 5 meters below me so I swim down 2 or 3 more meters and since the fish is swimming on its side it is broad side to me so I let the shaft fly and it finds a solid home. I'm pulling hard on the float line on the way back to the surface trying to keep it out of the cave and off the reef but I have to give up some ground to make it back to the surface. When I hit the surface my buoy is about a meter from my hand on the float line. The shooting line being 5 meters and the gun 1 and float line 20 the fish has made it down to about 25 meters. A 6 or7 minute fight ensues with me getting some line then the fish taking some line back and forth and me getting drug a crossed the whole and back before I get it in my hands. It went just under 18 kilos or 39 pounds on the scale. I call the boat over and put it in. The new 7mm shaft is bent quite bad so I change back to the 6mm shaft. Alex comes over and has a look.
We make a small move down the side of the island where there is a strong current and lots of bait every where. I grab my 140cm. There is a nice ledge sticking off the island starting at about 12 or 13 meters down and going down to 20 before it drops off into the deep blue its a good 20 plus meters wide with big boulders sitting on top of it. On my first dive there I see a school of 20 or more large green snapper 10 to 15 kilo size but there to smart to come close and head of over the deep ledge. A dive or 2 later and a little farther down the island I see 2 nice red snapper but with the current being strong I could not get down to there depth about 18 meters. I find a small nook in by the island where I can get out of the current a bit but still can not get to them as they are out on the ledge. head over to where Alex is chasing a nice green snapper by a big rock with a cave below it we both try for it but can not get it I shoot a nice gray sweat lip there and stay there for a while as there is a rock that I Can stay in front of which has a little back water so the current is lite. See some nice blue trevally a few small mackerel and lots of other stuff there. I notice the current slow down as tide change is getting close so I move back up to where I saw the red snapper. I get there but can not see them from the surface but can just make out the rock where they were hiding. I take a long rest and get a really good breath up and head down on the front side of there rock. I see one of the snapper off to my right out away from the rock I continue down behind the rock and could feel my buoy starting to pull on my gun. I'm at least 18 meters down. The snapper starts to come back to its rock but goes on the other side than me I swim up over the top of the boulder and there he is coming in front of me a few meters out he turns and has a quick look at me and I wait. Then he turns broad side to swim off and I let the shaft fly. A solid shot just behind the gills. It gets wrapped up in the shooting line and the shaft and I have it in my hands before reaching the surface. It goes a little over 7 kilos or 16 pounds on the scale. I call the boat over and we get in for some lunch and a rest.
we move a bit and get back in after 45 minutes. I grab my 110 with the 6mm shaft now. Alex is in by the shore and I'm maybe 20 meters out after about 20 minutes I see a nice GT coming at me from the shore I drop down maybe 4 meters as it goes to swim pass me I shoot what I think is a good shot but the spear comes right out. I wait for it to take off at high speed but it can't its mortally wounded hit it in the spine and its almost paralyzed. I start to follow it around the reef trying to get my gun reloaded while not loosing site of it after a couple of minutes it heads for a hole under a rock about 13 meters down but when it gets to the bottom it turns almost belly up and slowly starts kicking back to the surface coming right at me. I drop my gun and go down to try and grab it but it is able to just stay 6 inches out of reach. So I go grab my gun again and get it loaded with the 17mm band the fish goes for the bottom again but can't make and comes back toward the surface again. I drop down 4 or 5 meters and put the shaft right through its head. After 5 minutes of following it around the reef and I got it. It weights 16 kilos or 35 pounds. After getting back in the boat a while later and talking to Alex it appears he scared it out of the shallows and right at me.
Heading back to the beach Alex tells me he made his deepest dives ever that day and it was clear he was much more relaxed allowing him to go deeper. And some of the tips I had been giving him the last couple of days diving had help as he told me so. We were practicing one up one down in the deeper spot on the side of the island. It made me feel good to hear that as I have never had anyone personally teach me anything with one exception I learned from Marc last year to exhale a meter or 2 before surfacing so you can inhale as soon as you hit the surfaces. Otherwise it has taken me 15 years to reach the level I'm at today and I'm not saying Im good. I learned by going diving, reading books, watching you tube, reading stuff here and then going diving and practicing what I read heard or saw.
It was a funny 40 minute ride home watching the reaction of the locals on the side of the road all would stare and point as we drove by each having one GT hanging out both sides of our motor bikes and every right hand corner we would go around you would hear the tails scraping on the ground. We had an amazing red snapper dinner that night. With the snapper being grilled over a coconut husk fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1668.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	216194   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1646.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	216195   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1707.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	216196   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1715.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	216197   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1721.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	216198  

Name:	14,15 1772.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	216199   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1776.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	216200   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1791.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	216201   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1788.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	216202   Click image for larger version

Name:	14,15 1810.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	216203  

Last edited by bluebacore; 03-21-2015 at 06:19 PM.
bluebacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
Behslayer

Re: Nusa Tengara Barat

Aduh Hebat Dong!
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #3
bluebacore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Aduh Hebat Dong!
Terima kasi banyak atas pujianya
Old 04-02-2015, 03:53 AM   #4
AlexK

Nice catches !!!
Thanks for the story
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
dirkbeachman
james dean

Awesome write up- damn you remember so much more than me about your dives! And what a freakin' feast! Nice work!
dirkbeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
bluebacore

Here's a few more pictures of some recent catches to finish up the wet season.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM02318 grouper2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	217876   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM02301snapper green.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	217877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0936 bent shaft.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	217878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0910GTTT.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	217884  
Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Behslayer

Aduh.

Beh Kerapu Bunga
Beh Compoh Compoh
Besih Bengkok
Beh Cakalan

Mantap!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
blueopium

Nice fish! I wana go back to that part of the world ...
blueopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 AM   #9
Alboy
Killer on the run

Send a message via Yahoo to Alboy

hey jon, sound like u miss indo alot huh hahahahah
Alboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Behslayer

Actually. I think I overdosed on Indonesia living there for the past 23 years. I'm loving having water, electricity, not having to tip toe around my workshop hoping I don't step on a Cobra, not getting Dengue, my kids go to school, I can work legally, etc. etc. etc. And here we are, knee deep in Striped Bass, Tautog, Squid, Fluke, Lobster, and the Bluewater is just about to kick in and we'll be diving for Wahoo, Yellowfin, Albacore, Big Eye, Mahi. My house is still there. My wife was there last month for work, many many friends, but for right now I'm happy enough to be somewhere else for a while. For @ 20 years there was nowhere I would rather have been, but places change, we change, what's important to us changes, over time. One thing is for sure though.. you really missed it.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
bluebacore

Mr. Behslayer thanks for your positive replies. I know you are not in Indo any more but was wondering if you factory is still here and if so do you have a reverse trigger mech for a euro shaft that would fit in a rear handle gun? I'm going to attempt my to build my first gun. Having been ignorant for to long about how to build a gun and the trigger mech its seems like a prefect way to learn from my mistakes. Have lots of time n my hands at the moment being back in Java and waiting on the good folks at immigration. I will try Andre as well and would just order one from abroad but not sure it would make it through customs. Thanks
Blueopium if you do make it back too this part of the world let me know.
Dirkbeachman if you end up heading this way I'd be happy too show you a few decent spots around Lombok or find some new ones elsewhere.
Going to go on a exploratory boat ride in the Java sea next week as the locals "my wife's family" keeps telling me about a uninhabited island 4 hours away by boat that is known to have some big fish. A few of them have being there so you never know I could get lucky. There are also a few oil rigs not to far away I've got my eye. Just don't know what they would think when I pulled up and jumped in. Plus I've never been diving on a rig before and would be diving alone. Thinking a break away system with cable shooting line and a 15 meter float line. I do have a reel for 2 of my guns maybe that is the way to go.

Last edited by bluebacore; 05-26-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
Behslayer

My wife is Javanese too. Uninhabited islands 4 hours from Java have probably been bombed to smithereens, but those Oil Rigs sound like they could be Awesome. We used to dive some Oil Piers and they were loaded. No worries with the guys on top, we gave them a few nice fish and they were happy to have us around. But also they can draw in pelagics in the area so even near them is good, just do some burleying. You shouldn't have any problem bringing in Trigger mechs, just call them fishing parts. I have brought in many boxes full of mechs in the past. I did have Big troubles bringing in Handles even though I was on a first name basis with the Customs guys by that time.. I don't think Dre has any Reverse mechs over there. Nope. My factory is in the USA.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
bluebacore

Ok thanks for the advise will just order a trigger mech. A quick question would a solid piece of teak not laminated 2 1/4 wide x 1 5/8 tall elliptical shape be sufficient for 3x16 mm bands? Going to make 125mm from band hole to last shark fin with a 7.5 mm shaft. terima kasi
I didn't think about the bombing but it would not surprise me. Got the sh** scared out of me (not literally) a couple months ago in Lombok by someone bomb fishing somewhere close to me while I was diving. I never saw the boat but it sure was loud underwater.
Saya mauh tau ada apa masuk di dalam laut dekat minyak rig. Saya tidak pikir ada banyak orang tempak ikan desini, Hanya saya bule disini di kampung Java Barat.

Last edited by bluebacore; 05-27-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #14
Behslayer

I'd go a little Wider/Taller if you will be using a Taper in Width and Height. My guns are Tapered so I need a little more for 3 bands. It's not that the Volume isn't enough for the 3 bands, but that you want to play around with your weight distribution so the thing moves better. Like a sword.

Not sure if the Rigs you are talking about have any vis or if it's mud?

Duluh, aku sering menyalam dibawa Jembatan Pertamina. Banyak ada pipa yang jatuh. Sering ada Kerapu Mera otau Janky Mera tingal di pipa. Tapi semua ada. Cakal, Janky, Kerapu, juga Beh Awan Gigi Anjing, dan Tengirri masuk. Tapi duluh.. sekerang sudah kosong di sana.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
bluebacore

Ok I took your advise and made the stock 2 3/4 by 2 at the butt and 2 1/8 by 1 5/8 at the muzzle. It seems really big compared to my other wood guns. But they only have 2 bands.
I don't know what the bottom is like. Have to get a mile or so offshore to find clear water here. To many muddy rivers make the water near shore dirty. The rigs are at least few miles offshore.