Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #16
battleborn702

Re: Fat Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Good eats right there
First, great trophy! Next for Hex, I tried finding recipies for goats and haven't really found a land fall. Actually many reviews online say the meat isn't all that good at all. Could you please share a recipie or a link? Thanks. Again great sheephead

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
battleborn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn702 View Post
I tried finding recipies for goats and haven't really found a land fall. Actually many reviews online say the meat isn't all that good at all. Could you please share a recipie or a link?
Sheephead makes a killer fish stock and you can make a wide variety of fish soups using that amazing stock. You can grill the meat in pouches with some sex sauce or whatever you like. When I have a smaller sized sheepshead I usually scale the fish, split it in half from tail to head, then I coat with a thin coat of flour or corn starch and fry it in some hot oil, from there you can either make a sweet and spicy sauce to coat and eat with white rice or if you don't want sauce just squeeze some lime and use Mexican salsa and enjoy that way. I also like to make Cevich with sheepshead, I used to make it a lot. Or you can't go wrong with good old fashioned beer battered, Panko, or Tempura fish tacos. The Koreans even Sashimi sheephead, I've yet to try it that way though. Just search some recipes for other fish and incorporate it using the sheepshead meat or get creative. It's a really good white flakey fish! I have no idea why people don't like it? Probably just elitists that only shoot 1000 pound wsb and yellows ? Good luck

Last edited by HEX; 04-18-2016 at 01:05 PM.
HEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #18
battleborn702

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Sheephead makes a killer fish stock and you can make a wide variety of fish soups using that amazing stock. You can grill the meat in pouches with some sex sauce or whatever you like. When I have a smaller sized sheepshead I usually scale the fish, split it in half from tail to head, then I coat with a thin coat of flour or corn starch and fry it in some hot oil, from there you can either make a sweet and spicy sauce to coat and eat with white rice or if you don't want sauce just squeeze some lime and use Mexican salsa and enjoy that way. I also like to make Cevich with sheepshead, I used to make it a lot. Or you can't go wrong with good old fashioned beer battered, Panko, or Tempura fish tacos. The Koreans even Sashimi sheephead, I've yet to try it that way though. Just search some recipes for other fish and incorporate it using the sheepshead meat or get creative. It's a really good white flakey fish! I have no idea why people don't like it? Probably just elitists that only shoot 1000 pound wsb and yellows? Good luck
Cool, thanks again. Not sure if there is another sheephead or maybe just individual palate I read people complain the meat is mushy without flavor. Much appreciated for the info.

battleborn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #19
VangysWay

Ceviche. You can't go wrong. Home run every time with sheephead.

Dice the fish. Dice white onions. Dice jalapeno.

Add all into a bag with a bunch of fresh squeezed lemon juice. You can use concentrate but it won't be as good. Let sit for 1-2 hours or until outside is chalky and inside is still translucent.

Add in diced tomato, cilantro, and avocado to portion you are going to eat.

Break out tortilla chips and Negro Modelo and get to work.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #20
Jakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VangysWay View Post

Add all into a bag with a bunch of fresh squeezed lemon juice. You can use concentrate but it won't be as good. Let sit for 1-2 hours or until outside is chalky and inside is still translucent.

Made my mouth water.
Jakeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #21
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn702 View Post
Cool, thanks again. Not sure if there is another sheephead or maybe just individual palate I read people complain the meat is mushy without flavor. Much appreciated for the info.

Dude, you're basically on the right track, that description is accurate IMO.

They do make great ceviche tho and fish cakes too.

And if you're up for the fish stock approach, the head does make for a good stock. Lotta fat and flavor in the head

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VangysWay View Post

This ^

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #23
rysgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
I dont know who's head is more square
Thanks?
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #24
xjackattack
SoCal Spearo

Yeww killing it as always! gotta watch this fella stone it. Thanks again for sharing, making fish tacos and trying out that dudes ceviche recipe tonight^
xjackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #25
FullFlavorPike

If you can cook, everything's delicious. Here's how I treat my goats.

Heat your oven to 450 or 500 degrees; get a skillet smoking hot with a thin layer of olive oil inside; lay a clean, dry sheephead filet presentation side down in the pan with the burner set to "inferno;" fry 3-5 minutes; transfer pan directly to oven and finish without turning the fish.

Dress with some good salt and fresh pepper, maybe a little compound butter. Artichokes are a good side dish.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #26
Micah

Sick

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #27
piztolero

ahhhh you guys killing me, making me so hungry, I want to go kill a sheepshead too
piztolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:52 AM   #28
jdeirmend

A fish that size will make a big pot of chowder. Cut into chunks and boiled in a creamy broth with chunks of cooked bacon, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, onions, parsley, some bay leaves and diced potatoes, it is excellent. It's pretty much that simple, just start with any kind of broth and add the ingredients to suit your taste. If you want to try and need a recipe, this will do.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...chowder-105200

Guys on the board from the East Coast who hunt tautog will have similar recipes.

You can use coconut milk or cream if dairy work for you -- did this one with a fish of similar size many years ago, and it was good eats for over a week. Nice fish, big goats are fun to stalk and hunt and put up a nice fight -- I spent around an hour making drops on my "reefmaster" PB before nailing him with a long hail-mary quartering away shot. There is a satisfaction there that makes it tough to complain about the meat needing special treatment to taste good.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #29
MACKFISH

Nice shootn tex!bet he fought the good fight!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #30
SF Dave

Sheephead on the Pacific Coast are completely different from the Gulf of Mexico. Our's have big teeth that stick out of their mouth. And when they clamp down on something, they don't let go.

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2013/...g-fish-indeed/
SF Dave is offline   Reply With Quote