Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Track GWS with phone app!

Thought this was pretty cool, eventually maybe all the sharks will be tagged and you will know if your favorite spot has a visitor coming to town! ( and "who", each shark tagged is named and tracked) Interesting how they tracked one female GWS who went all the way up into Sea of Cortez near San Felipe for spring break, might have been good to know if you were diving the area during that time. Good info nonetheless, even has history of attacks, locations, etc.
The app is "Expedition White Shark"
Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Myrran
Myrran McKeen

Re: Track GWS with phone app!

$3.99...........sheesh, wonder where the money goes? MCSI, Marine Conservation Science Institute?

Here is a link to the makers of this app. No doubt the funds go to them. Are the good or bad? It's so hard to tell nowadays who is working for us or against us. I will not be downloading until I make sure they are not the enemy. Anybody know?

http://www.marinecsi.org/about-us/
Myrran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Really? So you are NOT for Marine Conservation??? Honestly, I just thought this was interesting...as in the science, etc. I'm not promoting buying the app or supporting whoever, but if you look at the partners on the website they all seem legit, as in IGFA, Shark research etc., but who knows?

Last edited by Huntersmoon; 01-17-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: .
Huntersmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
unkabonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrran View Post
$3.99...........sheesh, wonder where the money goes? MCSI, Marine Conservation Science Institute?

Here is a link to the makers of this app. No doubt the funds go to them. Are the good or bad? It's so hard to tell nowadays who is working for us or against us. I will not be downloading until I make sure they are not the enemy. Anybody know?

http://www.marinecsi.org/about-us/

They are good... Michael Domeier helped found and head PIER, http://www.pier.org/ a pro-recreational and commercial fisherman non-profit. He was also on the show "Shark Men" worked with Chris Fischer who is a TV producer very involved in the fight against the MLPA.

Quote:
The Marine Conservation Science Institute would not exist without the forward thinking and generous support of the Offield Family Foundation, the George T. Pfleger Foundation, Fischer Productions and the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation.
^ All of those funding sponsors are pro-sportfishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntersmoon View Post
Really? So you are NOT for Marine Conservation???

HAH! Therein lies the rub... lots of trickery out there these days- "marine conservation" is such a vague phrase. Suspicion is healthy in post MLPA world.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Myrran
Myrran McKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntersmoon View Post
Really? So you are NOT for Marine Conservation???
Not the type that created the MLPA. Thats all. Im all for it as long as its not bias and unjust.

Just leery I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkabonka View Post
They are good... Michael Domeier used to work with PIER, http://www.pier.org/ a pro-recreational and commercial fisherman non-profit. He also on the show "Shark Men" worked with Chris Fischer who is a TV producer very involved in the fight against the MLPA.

HAH! Therein lies the rub... lots of trickery out there these days- "marine conservation" is such a vague phrase. Suspicion is healthy in post MLPA world.
Thanks! I like the idea of the app. Just wanted to make sure.
Myrran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
kodidiver

Does it tell you if their hungry or not! Haha
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Tells you how much they weigh,....I'm guessing they are always hungry