Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-01-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
zeN||

Hobie mono-cat

Just got a great deal on a Hobie Mono-Cat, decided it would make a good little dive boat, no keel, putting a 9.9 hp on it (no sails), has anyone owned one of these craft, doing some repairs and conversion on it thanx zeN
zeN|| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
TGuthrie
Freeshaft'em

How long? Where are you planning on taking it?
TGuthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 03:19 AM   #3
zeN||

This is 11 ft bi hull, I'm gonna make it into a little dive boat, at least for the diving I do in the lake, looks like it might be a lot of fun, but I'm researching repairing a crack in the hull and most references suggest nothing sticks to plastic very well, but on a test spot the fiberglass and Bondo (w fiberglass) seems to be sticking like a stain on Monika lewinsky's dress, hmmm..... zeN||
Old 09-08-2003, 12:09 AM   #4
DanR

Hey Zen, Home Depot sells (or used to) a marine epoxy like bondo. The stuf can repair a cracked engine it is so strong and will cure even in the water. If they still carry it and you are interested it's stored with the bondo in the paint dept. good luck sounds like a nice boat.
DanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:46 AM   #5
zeN||

Thanx Dan, I used exactly that, Bondo w fiberglass, after roughing up the surface, everyone tells me it will come off but I had a hard time grinding it off, I guess I'll see after putting it in the water, I plan to fiberglass the whole boat, though I'm wondering what the extra weight will do to the boat zeN||
Old 09-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #6
DanR

I think that as long as you rough up the area before you apply the bondo you should be fine. Just don't got too far from shore on your first sea-trial. What lake do you dive in? Do you spearfish in a lake? I have dove in lakes before but I kind of prefer the ocean. Let us know how your refit comes out.
DanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #7
zeN||

After assessing plastic boats I have decided to scrap the project, plastic just isn't workable for people like me who like to customize their boats, I'm ending this thread-thanx! zeN