Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
aue-mike

Re: The NOAA continues to prove they are not very bright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Thanks for the info. It pisses me off when journalist twist the facts, whether intentional or not...

Nevertheless, it's still a stupid reg for a for hire operation.* While anecdotal, I've never (nor heard of) and probably won't ever hook a turtle. And as mentioned above, even if I did I wouldn't land it. I'd try to ensure the least damage to the turtle which would be to remove the hook if possible or cut the leader, both scenarios the turtle is staying in the water.

*There's no doubt it should be a requirement for long line fisherman. A technique I do not support.
One thing Doug failed to mention or even explore (intentional or not) is that sea turtle populations are increasing due to conservation efforts. What fishermen caught 10-40 years ago is largely irrelevant, because sea turtle populations were much smaller then. But it is becoming an issue and will continue to be an issue into the future. For example, every year we are seeing *hundreds* of fishing pier captures just in Mississippi, and those are only ones that are being reported (reported interactions are only a fraction of total anticipated interactions). See this (Figure 1 shows the trend), keeping in mind this is already dated info:
https://www.imms.org/downloads/Coleman_etal_2016.pdf
And earlier this year, I saw two hooked turtles on two different vessels in the span of a week (one of which was on the charter vessel ULTIMATE GETAWAY and was foul hooked). Hooked turtles most definitely happen, and will likely continue to happen into the future as populations rebuild. So in many aspects, these efforts are proactive.
Are some of the requirements a bit odd and not particularly ideal for small boats? Perhaps. This might be something to bring up at Council meetings so that NOAA can revisit and refine these requirements...I have already forwarded some thoughts to folks to ponder....
aue-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
jfjf

The population is undergoing a rapid rise..,. So they need more protective measures?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #18
aue-mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
The population is undergoing a rapid rise..,. So they need more protective measures?
It is prudent to minimize negative impacts to allow the species to rebuild and to avoid jeopardizing all the past and current conservation efforts.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
jfjf

I like turtles, but it is hard for me to understand how carrying around literally tons of car tires on the entire fishing fleet is worth the wasted fuel and increased pollution this requirement generates. Seriously, dog bones and car tires, when we don't really make the rich turn down their lights on the beach ??

How many $500 fines have been levied for lights without a warning. that is actually a serious question. How many?
Old 07-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
aue-mike

Quote:
I like turtles, but it is hard for me to understand how carrying around literally tons of car tires on the entire fishing fleet is worth the wasted fuel and increased pollution this requirement generates. Seriously, dog bones and car tires, when we don't really make the rich turn down their lights on the beach ??

How many $500 fines have been levied for lights without a warning. that is actually a serious question. How many?
I guess you missed the point that you don't need car tires or dog bones. You can use PFD and mooring or anchor line.

As far as the light ordinances, you would have to check with county governments...I really don't know as there is a large mosaic of local governments that implement/enforce those...

Sea turtles face a wide variety of threats - pollution, nesting habitat issues (including lighting), natural predators and weather impacts, and fisheries bycatch. We need to work at reducing the effect of all of these impacts to help protect and conserve sea turtles...not just selectively picking one or two things.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #21
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aue-mike View Post
I guess you missed the point that you don't need car tires or dog bones. You can use PFD and mooring or anchor line.

As far as the light ordinances, you would have to check with county governments...I really don't know as there is a large mosaic of local governments that implement/enforce those...

Sea turtles face a wide variety of threats - pollution, nesting habitat issues (including lighting), natural predators and weather impacts, and fisheries bycatch. We need to work at reducing the effect of all of these impacts to help protect and conserve sea turtles...not just selectively picking one or two things.
No I saw that, but was pushing the envelope a little to make a point. On the whole, it seems pretty ridiculous for a charter sport fish.

In Florida, it sounds like the lighting stuff is somewhat of "a suggestion"..

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/ma...tles/lighting/
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #22
aue-mike

Quote:
No I saw that, but was pushing the envelope a little to make a point. On the whole, it seems pretty ridiculous for a charter sport fish.

In Florida, it sounds like the lighting stuff is somewhat of "a suggestion"..

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/ma...tles/lighting/
Depends on the county or municipality...some are more serious than others...