Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #31
kodama

Re: Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
A longer sear box roof forward of the tooth stops the spear tail jumping off the tooth when the spear is on the way out, but many reverse trigger mechanisms are open top running nearly right back to the tooth, so the spear tail is not so tightly controlled. For that matter the sear box has no floor at its mouth so there is less control from the bottom as well. If you look at some old guns the spear tail emerges from a short tunnel, particularly on clamshell grip spearguns. Probably the longest sear box tunnel is found on the "Sea Hornet" and "AB Biller" trigger mechanism cassettes.

Makes a lot of sense. Any pictures of that detail which you could share?
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #32
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Makes a lot of sense. Any pictures of that detail which you could share?
The much maligned JBL shows the long sear box tunnel, the main problem with this mech, bar the pivot pins being set too close together, is the stamped levers are not square cut edged and contact areas are consequently too small. Tooling for the levers has been renewed over the decades without revisiting the original shapes and errors had crept in, but that is another story.

Another example is the Ocean Rhino which is shown here in its later form and the original reverse trigger mech, the "Sea Hornet" from Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL mech released cam lock.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	240387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean Rhino new sear.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	240388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Hornet metal cassette cutaway.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	240389  

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-14-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: more info
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #33
kodama

@spearq8 I noticed that you run your shooting line on top of the bandraisers and on top of the barrel to the line release.
Is that how it is intended to be? I was under the impression that the shooting line could run underneath the barrel over the entire length.

Last edited by kodama; 11-15-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #34
spearq8

Quote:
@spearq8 I noticed that you run your shooting line on top of the bandraisers and on top of the barrel to the line release.
Is that how it is intended to be? I was under the impression that the shooting line could run underneath the barrel over the entire length.
I tried several ways of wrapping the line, but every once in a while I would get a tangle. While this happens with every other gun (especially using spectra as shooting line), in this case I think the tangle was caused by the sharp 90 degree band elevators. It just seemed like it would be better designed if it were more rounded or cuttle shaped rather than 90 degree. Once you get the gun you will understand what I mean.

The only thing I think is major and needs fixing is the trigger. I think the trigger has since been changed to an auto resetting trigger. The one I had the auto reset did not work and you had to manually push the line release back before loading ... although this issue was a non issue for me, it might be for others. The main problem for me with the trigger was sears scratching which ruined accuracy to an unacceptable level. You could disassemble the trigger and polish the sears, but that gives you only about 10 to 15 good shots before the scratching starts affecting accuracy again.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #35
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I tried several ways of wrapping the line, but every once in a while I would get a tangle. While this happens with every other gun (especially using spectra as shooting line), in this case I think the tangle was caused by the sharp 90 degree band elevators. It just seemed like it would be better designed if it were more rounded or cuttle shaped rather than 90 degree. Once you get the gun you will understand what I mean.

The only thing I think is major and needs fixing is the trigger. I think the trigger has since been changed to an auto resetting trigger. The one I had the auto reset did not work and you had to manually push the line release back before loading ... although this issue was a non issue for me, it might be for others. The main problem for me with the trigger was sears scratching which ruined accuracy to an unacceptable level. You could disassemble the trigger and polish the sears, but that gives you only about 10 to 15 good shots before the scratching starts affecting accuracy again.
I asked if it was possible to adjust the shape of the band elevators but they couldn't do that. For now I will just start using the gun as it is with the standard bands and setup. See how it performs for me and then move into a trigger mod.
Maybe the elevators will follow and depending on how it sits in my hand I may have to mod the handle. We will see... Actually I hope to adjust as little as possible, it would defeat the purpose of buying the thing in the first place.

Fist thing is shooting it and putting it true it's paces while hunting. Only after I have gained some experience myself I will adjust anything.
Other then that I am on the fence about the reel as well. I think the standard carbon fibre reel doesn't look great and I will probably install a different stainless reel AND move it backwards towards the handle like the El Greco guns.
I wonder if with such a light gun the placement of the reel can affect the balance?
It seems to be placed well forward and I wonder if there is a particular reason for that? Any ideas?
Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #36
kodama

This is the reel that comes standard with the gun.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #37
kodama

Maybe this gun is actually made by Carbon Tek, a Spanish company?
http://www.carbontek.es/en/mantis.html
It is called their Mantis model.

Their 'Wahoo' series could be described as a carbon fibre version of the Abellan Denton at first sight.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #38
kodama

A picture as illustration.

MANTIS CT115 CARBONO

Model:

CT100 Mantis

Material:

100% carbon fiber

Length:

115 cm

Muzzle:

Open

Body:

Monobloc of carbon fiber with comprehensive guidance on all the length and anatomic ambidextrous handles

Shaft:

1350 x ø7 mm (397 g) // 1350 x ø7'5 mm (447 g)

Rubber:

Option 1: 2 x ø14'5 mm / / Option 2: 2 x ø16 mm / / Stretches at maximum load: 350%-330%

Accessories:

Gum, Rod, Dyneema Wishbone, nylon and tensor.

Options:

Reel with 25 m Dyneema; Reel with 50 m Dyneema

Are these the same specs as the Sigalsub Team Carbon 110?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #39
doyenofcastle

Latest product
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181124-WA0000.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	240584  
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #40
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
Latest product

Double roller? For Pathos d’Angello1?
Old 11-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #41
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Double roller? For Pathos d’Angello1?
mario told me this for pathos 2 .
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:56 AM   #42
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
Latest product
That is the double roller trigger for the Pathos Dangelo 1 handle. There is one for the Dangelo 2 handle as well under testing. I think these will be interesting upgrades for anyone with a Pathos pipe gun.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #43
Andrew Makely

Any idea when the DR trigger for the pathos 1 will be available?
Thanks
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #44
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Makely View Post
Any idea when the DR trigger for the pathos 1 will be available?
Thanks
The D1 DR trigger is being sold now. The D2 will probably come very soon. With the D2 things are a little more difficult as you only have 7mm space to fit a roller shaft sear (unlike the D1 which has almost 14mm). There is a version being tested and it seems to be working very well ... so that should be available soon.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:39 AM   #45
kodama

I am still contemplating to build a custom housing for the DR trigger that would fit the Sigalsub Team speargun.
I could use the existing pin holes and add a tiny set-screw to adjust for a perfect fit of the spear.

Not more than an idea at the moment but I will start modeling as soon as I received the gun and I can take accurate dimensions.