Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #496
AASosa

Re: Current Vis Biscayne Bay / Elliott area and Miami

Anyone been out lately? I'm FINALLY heading out on Saturday I've been so busy with work that I haven't had the time to get out there. Anyways if you've been out post up what u can.

Happy New Years!

CHEERS TO A GREAT YEAR OF FISHING!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #497
AASosa

Went out Saturday had a nice haul Hogfish/Muttons/Mangroves hit a cuda/mackerel/yellowjacks. Vis was great down south past Caesers Creek 20-25ft but behind Elliot and Boca Chita it was murky 5-6ft vis on the first reef. Water temp was at 75/76 all day was able to stay out all day with just lycra suit on. Good luck out there everyone stay safe.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #498
RunningpalmTree

Plan on heading out this Saturday from Blackpoint.. any viz updates?
Old 03-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #499
Thin man

Went out of black point last Friday. We tried finger channels on north side, but tide was going out and fighting that and some murk wasn't worth the few lobsters we could find, so we headed to patches. Saw a lot of hogfish both inside of hawk (up to 14") and east of hawk (up to 18"). We only saw one yellow jack and one legal mutton (appx 10#) that bolted. Got our limit of hogs, two mangrove (not many around, and mostly small), and 1 lobster. Vis was good, 40+' east of hawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	224972  
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #500
humpinit

Yesterday we went out of Homestead. The wind was blowing and it was rough so we decided to stay on the patches and it was 2 to 3 there. We drug in anywhere from 12 to 20 feet and managed to get some nice hogs 8 total between 14 and 18". We got a nice 16" lionfish too. Viz sucked and you could barely see the bottom in 12' of water.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #501
SubmarinoPT

Pasted Sunday vis was between 15 to 20 ft depending on the reef. Water temp was around 77 warming up.
SubmarinoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #502
AASosa

Nice, Who's planning on heading out on Sunday for Grouper?
Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #503
Thin man

Went out to patch reefs outside of Caesar's yesterday. We were in the water right at the trough of low tide and despite some wind over the last few days, vis wasn't horrible, maybe 20-25'. Conditions continued to get better as the day went on and wind actually settled down and the incoming tide cleared things up dramatically. We never did head out to deeper water and hopped from patch to patch picking up hogfish, yellow jack, and a couple mangrove snapper and red grouper. The day went far better than I had imagined considering the negative reports over the last few weeks and somewhat windy conditions the last few days. We didn't see any blacks, but never got deeper than 25'. Hopefully they are still within the outer reef and in reach of mortals like myself. Enjoy and hunt safely!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #504
SilentHunkler

Went out on July 1. Started out on the patch reefs just off Elliot then went out near Pacific Reef, visibility was decent about 30' but later in the day it seemed like the fresh water from all the rain over the bay was coming out and made everything murky pretty fast. Didn't see much for fish either, shot one hog and one porgy and just went the rest of the time using the pole spear on lioinfish. On the bright side there was a ton of lobster just hanging out waiting for for season to open up. Hopefully they stick around...
SilentHunkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #505
RunningpalmTree

Running South around Ceaser's this weekend, forecast is looking good, anyone been out the past few days to comment on viz around S. Elliot Key?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #506
Thin man

Went out of Homestead through Ceaser's yesterday. Water temp was 76 and clear east of Hawk's Channel. We went to the south end of Long Reef and North of Ajax area. Water was clear to about 40' and we brought in a few mangrove snapper, one lobster (only saw three), and a 12" lionfish. We didn't see much else of size, a couple mutton that bolted and two blacks that will be big enough to shoot on opening.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #507
AASosa

It's that time of year again... anyone heading out on Monday? I got the day off and praying for decent weather...
Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #508
Thin man

I'm planning on getting out on Monday. Weather doesn't look too positive right now, though.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #509
AASosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin man View Post
I'm planning on getting out on Monday. Weather doesn't look too positive right now, though.

Right now I am in a weather be damned state of mind (have been onshore for over 6months) and I got the day off on May1st so no turning back now! Let me know if your still thinking about going out too so I don't think we are the only crazy ones. Should be around Elliot most of the day heading out through black point.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:07 AM   #510
Thin man

Godspeed to you. 20 mph winds forecasted for tomorrow. I'm saving my day off for another day. I'm planning on taking my dad, in from out of town, down to Bahia Honda to try to catch a tarpon later in the week. I'll have my gear with me and if the vis is alright, I'll jump in to try to hunt some meat.