Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #31
Watdogg

Re: New Member Intro

Thanks Crusty. I realize I'm probably asking a lot of questions you guys have answered many times before, but I WILL return the favor. I plan on going to the Mass Open on May 31st, just to watch. I'll take orders for adult beverages a week before for all of you that were are nice enough to share some basic info to a spearo noob.
Watdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #32
straight shaft
Well endowed Member

Watdogg,

Welcome to the Board. You are about to embark on the most addictive sport known to sleep apnea suffering human beings. Newbspearfisher, Rooster (cock) Man and others on this forum (including myself) are more than happy to put you into some fish on this, your maiden voyage. Looking forward to getting wet soon.

Julio
Old 04-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #33
Goody1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdogg View Post
.... I plan on going to the Mass Open on May 31st, just to watch. I'll take orders for adult beverages a week before for all of you that were are nice enough to share some basic info to a spearo noob.
You should consider going to the Mass Invitational instead. You could actually compete and win prizes just for being in the competition. It's also a meet more designed for new divers versus the Opens.

just my .02

Goody1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 AM   #34
Watdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody1986 View Post
You should consider going to the Mass Invitational instead. You could actually compete and win prizes just for being in the competition. It's also a meet more designed for new divers versus the Opens.

just my .02

Sorry...that's what I meant. Whichever one is May 31st.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #35
lsk

I signed up a little while ago, but still haven't gone hunting because I still have a lot of the same questions as you, Watdogg. Thanks for the thread, lots of helpful info from the veterans. Maybe I'll see some of you guys at the Invitational.

Last edited by lsk; 04-23-2015 at 11:14 PM.
lsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #36
Dgleeson

I do most of my diving off Newport, Middletown and Little Compton RI... Let me know if you'd like to go out once the water warms up a bit

Dave
Dgleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #37
alemaozinho

Welcome
alemaozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 AM   #38
Watdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsk View Post
I signed up a little while ago, but still haven't gone hunting because I still have a lot of the same questions as you, Watdogg. Thanks for the thread, lots of helpful info from the veterans. Maybe I'll see some of you guys at the Invitational.
Right? I've done a lot of dangerous stuff in my life, but preparing for this seems different. The ocean deserves a LOT of respect. Doesn't help that there isn't much info out there either. I feel like a pain in the ass asking all these questions.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:46 AM   #39
Watdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgleeson View Post
I do most of my diving off Newport, Middletown and Little Compton RI... Let me know if you'd like to go out once the water warms up a bit

Dave
Will do Dave! I'm buying my stuff next week. Water seems to be around 44ish. When do you guys start jumping in? I know that guy on the Daily Vis already bagged one, but it seems like anyone jumping in at the moment are just getting in shape for the season.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:47 AM   #40
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

All spearo's are a little crazy, Dave so your wife was right! Seriously, welcome to the the forum and the sport. Once a spearo, always a spearo.

If you need help getting started out give us a call during business hours and we'll take care of you.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #41
mrw
My wurst is my best

Remember when you're looking at a used wetsuit that there are really only two types of divers: the ones that pee in their wetsuits; and the ones that lie about it!

And the only difference between camo and plain black is, well, seals are plain black and things eat those . . .

Just teasing, any suit is better than no suit. An open cell suit is better than a closed cell or lined suit. Camo is just cool. A 1 piece that fits as well as a 2 piece will be more manueverable, but not as warm since 2 piece double layers your core.

A good fitting wetsuit is probably your most important piece of gear. If you are comfortable in the water you can concentrate on important things like not splashing while you're swimming & diving, and what the fish are doing. An integral piece of your wetsuit is your weight belt. Being properly weighted means a little positively buoyant at the surface and negative enough at the bottom that you don't float up, you'll fine tune your buoyancy more as you progress. And definitely get a freediving weight belt, not some nylon webbing scuba belt. Second most important piece of gear is a good fitting, low volume mask. If your mask leaks your dive will suck - period. Everything else is irrelevant: you will always want new or different guns. You will play around with all different kinds of fins & blades. Whether you wear neoprene wetsuit socks or Hanes whities won't affect your diving much. Keep your snorkel simple.

Most importantly - dive often as you can! The more time you're in the water the more comfortable you will be with your gear and your skills. You will stop thinking about how far away that next breathe of air is and start observing and interacting with the underwater world.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction. Soon you will pass the point of no return, and be better off for it!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:10 AM   #42
Watdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw View Post
Remember when you're looking at a used wetsuit that there are really only two types of divers: the ones that pee in their wetsuits; and the ones that lie about it!
Hahaha...well said, but I'm buying a new one after jstiver09 enlightened me to how much stuff could be growing on the inside of a used wetsuit.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #43
lsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdogg View Post
Right? I've done a lot of dangerous stuff in my life, but preparing for this seems different. The ocean deserves a LOT of respect. Doesn't help that there isn't much info out there either. I feel like a pain in the ass asking all these questions.
Exactly, I don't want to be overzealous and underestimate the water. But I think this is the year for me to just do it.

Have you decided on a wetsuit yet?

Last edited by lsk; 04-29-2015 at 02:32 PM.
lsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:53 AM   #44
Watdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsk View Post
Exactly, I don't want to be overzealous and underestimate the water. But I think this is the year for me to just do it.

Have you decided on a wetsuit yet?
Sorry for the delayed response...I was in FL this past week.

I did pick a wetsuit. I decided to go with the Yamamoto 2 piece open cell 5mm from Mako. Seems like the most bang for the buck.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #45
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Welcome to the board. When you're ready to take the plunge (excuse the pun!) check out our website and give us a call and we'll be sure to get you going with a starter pack. You'll soon discover that Neptonics is one of the most reputable retailers in the world. We stand by our divers and never put profit first.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote