Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 12-05-2004, 12:57 PM   #1
scuba198

Blue Water Hunting

Ill be moving to Oahu here in a few months. I've been told about some of the navy bouys off shore, and heard that theres a good amount of fish on them. My Question is how far do you actually have to go off shore to get any tuna, dolphin, or wahoo?
scuba198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Not too sure about Oahu, but I took a small tuna (aku) within a few hundred yards off the Western side of Maui. I also know some who take Ono and Mahi within a few hundred yards as well in the South area (Makena).

If the current comes in close to shore, it will usually carry pelagics if it is near deep enough water. Some guys will purposely go out and just go for big bluewater fish with their BW guns. Other times, it's just sort of an added bonus when using your reef or midsize to take on something like that.

Just watch the currents or you be on the Tahiti Express.
Stodelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
scuba198

thanks for the info
scuba198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
thecrab87
67 pounds of joy!

The buoys are put in place by the state soley for the purpose of attracting fish. For more info, go here
http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/FADS/

The buoys on Oahu are usually covered with guys fishing them, and if you jump in, you are going to really piss them off, so be discrete. Also, fishermen commonly chum to bring in fish, so the sharks associate boats with a free meal. Be prepared to bump some noses.

That said, BW game can be had from shore, in particular onos.

Good luck!

Willie Mahin
aka the Haole Crab
Maui, Hawaii
thecrab87 is offline   Reply With Quote