Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
tottenham

Sigal or Devoto shafts

I'm after a 7.5mm shaft for my Ace speargun. What one is the best? I can get them with cones for similar price here in Oz. Thabks

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
tottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
brandon cadalzo

Re: Sigal or Devoto shafts

I have a few devotosub shafts. The only problem I have is that there floppers are next to impossible to tune. They are made from hardened steel and at least in my experience the second I get it to bite on the shaft upon opening it's already to tight. I just swap em out for neptonics floppers and everything is easy after that. Sigalsub shafts are really good also. No complaints there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Tim.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham View Post
I'm after a 7.5mm shaft for my Ace speargun. What one is the best? I can get them with cones for similar price here in Oz. Thabks

Talk to Peter at One Breath Diving.

http://www.spearfishingproducts.com.au

07 3409 9666

He has both Devoto and Sigal spears. They are in QLD on Stradbroke island.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either of them. If you get a Devoto, ask him to put a cone on it.
Tim.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
tottenham

Yeah deal with Peter a lot just after some other peoples views.
Thanks

Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
spearq8

I prefer the Sigalsub for shafts up to around 7.5mm ... Devotosub have a nice shafts up to 8.5mm (full bore with no recess for flopper). Both can come with cones although with the Sigal it is impossible to put their cone on yourself unless you use a special hollow cored dowel while with Devotosub you just epoxy it in. Fortunately Sigal will do the cones themselves before shipping while with Devotosub it comes loose and you have to put it on. More important is to choose the shaft properly when you order ... get it always with a doghouse if possible ... that is the location to tie a gun that gives the most durability for the loop and the most accuracy. I hate tying the gun through the center of the shaft or through the back tail. Both these shafts don't have fins where you can tie line on. Expect to spend a few minutes with a dremel with Devotosub shafts as they have sharp edges that need buffing.

Another really good shaft is Hunt.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #6
Mullins

Sigal shoot well but are unbelievably soft. About one decent fish per shaft for me, so it's too expensive to keep using them. If only somebody made spring steel shafts in that shape.
Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:29 AM   #7
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I have put Sigalsub cones on a few Sigalsub spears myself. Wrapped the cone in some tough cloth, put a wrench over it and banged away on the wrench. Not 100% impossible, just not as easy as non-Sigal solutions. Good point on the wood dowel, though. I might have the local machine shop make a "cone tool" just for the fun of it. Just measure the tapering of the cone and machine a dovel to the same specs.

BTW, even though you can get Sigal cones in "loose weight" don't order them for your standard non-metric non-Sigal shafts. Go for Devoto cones. Reason is, the tip of the Sigal spears in front of the flopper pin is actually turned down slightly. If I recall correctly, the diameter at the front is 0.2mm less than the rest of the shaft. So, 7.3mm for a 7.5mm shaft and 7.8mm for an 8mm shaft. So, you would never be able to get a Sigal "8mm" cone on a Devoto or Hunt (?) 8mm shaft as the cone actually has an inner diameter of 7.8mm.

I agree that the Devoto floppers have very sharp edges.

I am not sure I agree that the Sigal shafts are unbelievably soft, but could be. Thing is, when I hung weights from them to measure deflection, my 7mm Devoto and Sigal shafts were equally stiff. But maybe that doesn't translate into them permanently bending at the same load of force, though? I did not want to check that.

Actually, Devoto's countersunk shafts seem to be "more countersunk" than Sigal's. More material milled away on the Devotos. But then again, you can just opt for the non-recessed version as Majd points out.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 12-23-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:43 AM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Yeah deal with Peter a lot just after some other peoples views.
Thanks

Would be cool to hear the dealer's point of view on the stiffness between them if you ask and if you and him don't mind you sharing
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
tottenham

Thanks for replies. I ended up going 7.5mm double floppered sigal with cone and doghouse. I also ordered some 14.5mm sigal 1mm bore rubber for twin setup.
http://www.spearfishingproducts.com....me-800x600.jpg

Old 12-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
tottenham

Peter reckons the gun came out of his hand when testing this rubber after hitting two wraps.

Diving Gecko. I'll ask about the shafts when i speak to him next.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
Mullins

Yeah it may be some characteristic other than hardness, but any fish over about 10kg simply destroyed the shafts, even when they didn't fight much. That's partly just the cost of using stainless but these seemed a lot worse than, say, riffe shafts. Real pity because they're my favourite shaft otherwise
Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #12
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

has anyone tried Devoto finned shaft with RA Vecta 2 handle?
is that rearmost tab on the Devoto too far back to easily load onto?
i.e. is it blocked by the Vecta 2's mech cover?
pic of said shaft below
thanks for any feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	devoto-finned-ss.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	230689  
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:13 AM   #13
spearq8

Quote:
Thanks for replies. I ended up going 7.5mm double floppered sigal with cone and doghouse. I also ordered some 14.5mm sigal 1mm bore rubber for twin setup.
http://www.spearfishingproducts.com....me-800x600.jpg

I have a batch of Sigalsub 14.5mm bands that is extremely difficult to load. So I would recommend that you start off at 340% and work your way up. My Sigalsub 14.5mm bands take as much effort to load at 360% than my Primeline small ID band 15.1mm @ 400% !!! Another thing is that difficulty in loading the bands doesn't necessarily translate into faster shaft velocity.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
tottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I have a batch of Sigalsub 14.5mm bands that is extremely difficult to load. So I would recommend that you start off at 340% and work your way up. My Sigalsub 14.5mm bands take as much effort to load at 360% than my Primeline small ID band 15.1mm @ 400% !!! Another thing is that difficulty in loading the bands doesn't necessarily translate into faster shaft velocity.
Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #15
tottenham

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/587062c1...05_174449.jpg?
First shot with sigal shaft. Sharked I think.