Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:46 AM   #16
doyenofcastle

Re: Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Thank you for your sharing your experiences.

Ideally I would prefer a gun that requires no work at all or build one myself completely.

I am in contact with Simone from Sigalsub and some customization might be an option. Let’s see where that leads to.

The long awaited new version of the Denton seems quite some time away and I don’t want to wait for it. I need a working solution before next season.
try ermes evo back ,its double roller and dimension may fit the sigal without much work ,I tried in my gun and its very good for double band sixteen with high stretch value .
trigger size
height: 22,5 mm
width : 16 mm
length : 46 mm
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #17
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
try ermes evo back ,its double roller and dimension may fit the sigal without much work ,I tried in my gun and its very good for double band sixteen with high stretch value .

trigger size

Thank you for the advice. I will look into it.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 AM   #18
spearq8

Quote:
trigger size
The Evo Back is only a back roller and doesn't have a front roller. I don't recommend it as the front is just a friction trigger and it will scratch. Go for the full DR for best performance.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #19
kodama

Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

Yes indeed that is not what I am looking for. DR trigger only.

I am in the process of discussing the possible customizations.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #20
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Yes indeed that is not what I am looking for. DR trigger only.

I am in the process of discussing the possible customizations.
True if u talk about old version (35$)
New DR available now online (45$) check the pic. I bought and fix it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181112_144742.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	240358  
Old 11-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #21
spearq8

Quote:
True if u talk about old version (35$)
New DR available now online (45$) check the pic. I bought and fix it
Indeed you are correct! I asked Mario and he said he does make the EVO Back in DR now, but he still has not put it up on his website. It uses identical sear geometry as the DR Short, so it wouldn't be too difficult to do. I had asked him to switch everything to DR a while back, but he was not convinced ... I guess he is now!

One thing to note, for some reason, I just can't get the same accuracy with the Short DR as I do with the Long DR. I can't figure it out, but somehow they don't shoot the same. I had thought it was maybe due to the line release, or maybe the shaft doesn't exit the mech with the same stability ... or simply that I just don't shoot it well and it has something to do with how I shoot. Having said that, Ermessub sells 5x more short triggers than long DR triggers, so they are much more popular. Also the auto reset on the short trigger will work without a spring. The difference in accuracy is quite small, but I definitely can see the difference in pool testing. It could also just be in my head as I have yet to see someone else notice any difference in accuracy.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #22
kodama

@spearq8 Have you used this speargun for spearfishing in the ocean or have you only conducted pool tests with it?

How was your experience while hunting?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #23
spearq8

Quote:
@spearq8 Have you used this speargun for spearfishing in the ocean or have you only conducted pool tests with it?

How was your experience while hunting?
Yes, I did take it a few times and it performed very well after the modification. It swings really nice and is very well balanced. Also very powerful and almost seemed too much gun for what I was hunting. I managed to land several nice King Mackerel at longish range with it. Was too much power to shoot into rocks though. I didn't like the reel and ended up removing it and just connected to a float line.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #24
kodama

Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

Thanks for sharing. It does seem like a really nice gun overall.
What didn’t you like about the reel?
I noticed the spool is made of CF but it doesn’t have the spring loaded plate to keep the line in place like the other Sigalsub reels.
I don’t care much for a cf reel really.
How is it attached could it be easily changed into something else. Ermes sub falcon reel or similar?

Last edited by kodama; 11-12-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #25
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Indeed you are correct! I asked Mario and he said he does make the EVO Back in DR now, but he still has not put it up on his website. It uses identical sear geometry as the DR Short, so it wouldn't be too difficult to do. I had asked him to switch everything to DR a while back, but he was not convinced ... I guess he is now!

One thing to note, for some reason, I just can't get the same accuracy with the Short DR as I do with the Long DR. I can't figure it out, but somehow they don't shoot the same. I had thought it was maybe due to the line release, or maybe the shaft doesn't exit the mech with the same stability ... or simply that I just don't shoot it well and it has something to do with how I shoot. Having said that, Ermessub sells 5x more short triggers than long DR triggers, so they are much more popular. Also the auto reset on the short trigger will work without a spring. The difference in accuracy is quite small, but I definitely can see the difference in pool testing. It could also just be in my head as I have yet to see someone else notice any difference in accuracy.
I don't do pool test because I don't have one or my friends ,just shoot in the sea ,what was the problem with DR long one was after making very thin slim butt behind the trigger the trigger back screw can't find enough meat to hold beside I am using maximum 3 rubbers 14 so I gave try to evo back DR ,the back screw is located above the handle it can go through in enough wood , you may need to try new version trigger ( future DR)I think its the short version of DR because its almost same price but not sure if it can handle same load
Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #26
spearq8

Quote:
I don't do pool test because I don't have one or my friends ,just shoot in the sea ,what was the problem with DR long one was after making very thin slim butt behind the trigger the trigger back screw can't find enough meat to hold beside I am using maximum 3 rubbers 14 so I gave try to evo back DR ,the back screw is located above the handle it can go through in enough wood , you may need to try new version trigger ( future DR)I think its the short version of DR because its almost same price but not sure if it can handle same load

This is a very common problem when you push the handle up and are using very shallow triggers. The solution is to either to use a SS reinforcement plate (as per Abellan) or to strengthen the weakness with Carbon Fiber. What you don't want to do is depend on the wood to hold ... because it will not hold and it will break. The combination of cutting out the trigger pocket and the very shallow back end means that you have very little strength left in an area that will be heavily stressed. This picture shows the result of what can happen if you don't factor in these weaknesses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speargun fracture.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	240364  
Old 11-14-2018, 04:35 AM   #27
kodama

It seems like most of the modifications I proposed I might have to do myself.
There will be no rope attached on the handle but instead a ring.

Having a DR trigger installed is not an option and also modifying the bandraisers is something they can’t do.

But as they say in my native tongue ‘the bullet is true the church’. I am placing an order and I don’t think I will regret it.
Had some conversations with other owners of this speargun and they all speak highly of this gun.

Not to my surprise spearq8 is probably the most critical which makes perfect sense with all his experience in pool testing and such.

I know I could buy a much cheaper gun, mod the heck out of it and have it perform really well. But I have been there done that. In this case I was looking for something else, something new and exciting. A gun that is exceptionally manoevrable, light weight for traveling and the perfect setup for deep Mediterranean reef hunting. All this while being accurate and powerful enough for anything the Med has to offer.

So far my rational to convince myself to spend money on yet another toy.

Will keep you all posted...
Old 11-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #28
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
It seems like most of the modifications I proposed I might have to do myself.
There will be no rope attached on the handle but instead a ring.

Having a DR trigger installed is not an option and also modifying the bandraisers is something they can’t do.

But as they say in my native tongue ‘the bullet is true the church’. I am placing an order and I don’t think I will regret it.
Had some conversations with other owners of this speargun and they all speak highly of this gun.

Not to my surprise spearq8 is probably the most critical which makes perfect sense with all his experience in pool testing and such.

I know I could buy a much cheaper gun, mod the heck out of it and have it perform really well. But I have been there done that. In this case I was looking for something else, something new and exciting. A gun that is exceptionally manoevrable, light weight for traveling and the perfect setup for deep Mediterranean reef hunting. All this while being accurate and powerful enough for anything the Med has to offer.

So far my rational to convince myself to spend money on yet another toy.

Will keep you all posted...

Congrats on the decision - let us hear how it all goes

As for the argument of who speaks well of which guns, it seems there is almost a direct correlation between how much a spearo spends on his gun and how great he finds it... With the bling comes a portion of ignorant bliss;-)
Not saying every expensive gun is not worth it, because that wouldn't be true, just saying that not all of them are.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #29
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Congrats on the decision - let us hear how it all goes

As for the argument of who speaks well of which guns, it seems there is almost a direct correlation between how much a spearo spends on his gun and how great he finds it... With the bling comes a portion of ignorant bliss;-)
Not saying every expensive gun is not worth it, because that wouldn't be true, just saying that not all of them are.

Yes that is certainly true. You spend all the money and then keep telling yourself it was al worth it regardless.
I hope I can remain somewhat objective.. usually I can after the initial period of excitement.

One of the users I talked to actually got the gun for free as part of the sponsoring deal of his competition team. He didn’t pay a dime for it and didn’t seem biased at all.
Spearq8 could be described as ‘somewhat’ critical towards any speargun he lays his hands on and nothing of what he shared I consider a dealbreaker.

Also I think the price is fair if you see what you get for it. C4 guns or Bluetec are more expensive in the same category and are too expensive for what you get in my opinion.

But we will see... hopefully you don’t find it up for sale after next season.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #30
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post

A longer sear box roof forward of the tooth stops the spear tail jumping off the tooth when the spear is on the way out, but many reverse trigger mechanisms are open top running nearly right back to the tooth, so the spear tail is not so tightly controlled. For that matter the sear box has no floor at its mouth so there is less control from the bottom as well. If you look at some old guns the spear tail emerges from a short tunnel, particularly on clamshell grip spearguns. Probably the longest sear box tunnel is found on the "Sea Hornet" and "AB Biller" trigger mechanism cassettes.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote