Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 2009 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 16-17

2009 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 16-17 Here is the Classic Spearboard Open Tournament on the west coast of Florida

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Hat-Nasty
The Snapper Zapper
 
Hat-Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Plam Beach
Age: 41
Posts: 1,058
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

I agree with John on this one.

We could say the South Carolina boys have a huge advantage on Hogfish. Look at the ones CharelstonDiving has weighed in at each tourney last year. But I know the Red Snapper ban is gonna hurt them.

So things will even out.
__________________
Will

Will Sea Fishing Team
koahspearguns.com
Team Hypnautical
Pronounced - "Hia-nau-tic-ka"
Wong Spearguns


www.Palmbeachfreedivers.com
Hat-Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
MajorDave
Just a day at the office!
 
MajorDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 615
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

I am planning to enter this year which will be my first tourney... so my questions have probably been answered many times but I do not find it readily...

Why are powerheads not allowed?

This is not to slight Shark Tales, but why isn't using a scooter disallowed? This seems to me to give someone with a $2500.00 scooter an advantage (allowing only scooters for the disabled, like Rob, would be the exception).

Last edited by MajorDave; 04-24-2009 at 05:19 AM.
MajorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
XXX
Team HeadHunter
 
XXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Are other snappers and groupers ok? Cuberas, Warsaw etc...Everything except Red snapper? Would hate to show up with something and be told you can't wiegh it.
__________________
It's just a suggestion!
XXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
biggsy
No, it's a sachel
 
biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Age: 46
Posts: 8,121
Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX View Post
Are other snappers and groupers ok? Cuberas, Warsaw etc...Everything except Red snapper? Would hate to show up with something and be told you can't wiegh it.
Everything else that is in season and of legal size is acceptable. We just tossed out the Red Snapper specifically.
__________________
John Biggs
Mega Moderator
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
MajorDave
Just a day at the office!
 
MajorDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 615
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Hey biggsy,

I guess your still researching my question on powerheads and scooters which I posted a week ago????

I think the rules should also only allow no decompression. This would place everyone on the same playing field. Everyone could bring their dive computers to verify no deco was used during the shooting day.

Somewhere I read rule changes are made up until May 1st???
MajorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #21
biggsy
No, it's a sachel
 
biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Age: 46
Posts: 8,121
Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
I am planning to enter this year which will be my first tourney... so my questions have probably been answered many times but I do not find it readily...

Why are powerheads not allowed?

This is not to slight Shark Tales, but why isn't using a scooter disallowed? This seems to me to give someone with a $2500.00 scooter an advantage (allowing only scooters for the disabled, like Rob, would be the exception).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
Hey biggsy,

I guess your still researching my question on powerheads and scooters which I posted a week ago????

I think the rules should also only allow no decompression. This would place everyone on the same playing field. Everyone could bring their dive computers to verify no deco was used during the shooting day.

Somewhere I read rule changes are made up until May 1st???
Oh, you were serious about that question. I'll do my best to answer it.

In the interest of keeping in the theme of the tournament, a person needs to take down a fish on their own and dispatch the fish with only a gun/sling/spear and their hand/knife/kill spike. Powerheads have never been allowed in the tournament, and they still won't. It's illegal in Florida State waters, so it gives us another reason to exclude them.

The scooter has been discussed but no rule change has been implemented. I am sure it will be discussed again, but I know several people who use them on the East Coast to combat the strong currents they have to deal with. If people want to use a scooter and deal with that bulky piece of equipment, more power to them.

As far as no deco, people are responsible to dive within their own limits and it's not the direction of this tournament to dictate the depth limits and time limits to which each diver can stay down. Are we also going to limit how long a free diver is allowed to stay down?

If you or someone else wanted to start a LIMITED style tournament, it seems there may be some interest in that style tournament.

You have to remember, this is an OPEN tournament...open to all divers, young and old, male and female, free diver and SCUBA diver, recreational shooter or commercial shooter. It brings all of the different spearing demographics together. We just are not inclined to set a limit on anyone's ability.

I hope this answered your question.
__________________
John Biggs
Mega Moderator
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #22
jfjf
.
 
jfjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Palm Bch County
Posts: 10,824
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsy View Post
Oh, you were serious about that question. I'll do my best to answer it.

In the interest of keeping in the theme of the tournament, a person needs to take down a fish on their own and dispatch the fish with only a gun/sling/spear and their hand/knife/kill spike.
Actually, the way I read it, the rules are even more open and liberal: The diver does do not have to dispatch the fish.

A scuba diver can shoot a fish with a line gun, inflate a lift bag that is attached to the gun and then send it to the surface where the boat crew can then actually kill, gaff and/or dispatch your fish. The diver is not required to subdue or even come within 10 feet of the speared fish, correct?

I think it helps to be clear, so that everyone knows the rules.

Or we could all bring our computers to PROVE that we did not go into deco.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
smilinmatt
Matt Brueckner
 
smilinmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Age: 48
Posts: 1,242
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Are Permit or African Pompano allowed to be weighed in under the jack category? With the recent "attention" given to spearing Permit, it might be a good idea to clarify it before weigh-in day.
smilinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #24
biggsy
No, it's a sachel
 
biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Age: 46
Posts: 8,121
Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinmatt View Post
Are Permit or African Pompano allowed to be weighed in under the jack category? With the recent "attention" given to spearing Permit, it might be a good idea to clarify it before weigh-in day.
No
__________________
John Biggs
Mega Moderator
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #25
MajorDave
Just a day at the office!
 
MajorDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 615
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Thanks biggsy for the answers. See you at weigh-in.
MajorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #26
biggsy
No, it's a sachel
 
biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Age: 46
Posts: 8,121
Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
Thanks biggsy for the answers. See you at weigh-in.
Good luck in your first tournament. You will wonder why you waited so long to try one out. It's a blast!

Make sure to stop by and introduce yourself.
__________________
John Biggs
Mega Moderator
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #27
dive4bugz
Registered User
 
dive4bugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pompano Beach
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

1 more thing that goes with what Biggsy said, remember that the weighmaster WILL follow ALL state regs... this means that AJ, Hog, etc are measured AT THE FORK!! Snapper, Grouper, etc are measured at overall.
__________________
See that? Steady as a rock... but THIS is my shootin' hand!!
dive4bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #28
SpearMax
Forum Administrator
 
SpearMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 16,451
Smile Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
Thanks biggsy for the answers. See you at weigh-in.
Glad to hear that Major Dave! Thanks!
__________________
"Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao Tzu

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #29
FishDie
Habitual Shooter
 
FishDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Interstate 4
Posts: 447
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Actually, the way I read it, the rules are even more open and liberal: The diver does do not have to dispatch the fish.

A scuba diver can shoot a fish with a line gun, inflate a lift bag that is attached to the gun and then send it to the surface where the boat crew can then actually kill, gaff and/or dispatch your fish. The diver is not required to subdue or even come within 10 feet of the speared fish, correct?

I think it helps to be clear, so that everyone knows the rules.

Or we could all bring our computers to PROVE that we did not go into deco.
Well put Jim. I know in the St. Pete Open the rule is stated "No contestant may receive assistance with any fish until he/she has one hand on the boat."
__________________
Fairness in Fishery Management --> JOIN THE FRA
ST. PETE UNDERWATER CLUB
FLORIDA SKIN DIVERS ASSOCIATION
FishDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #30
biggsy
No, it's a sachel
 
biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Age: 46
Posts: 8,121
Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Actually, the way I read it, the rules are even more open and liberal: The diver does do not have to dispatch the fish.

A scuba diver can shoot a fish with a line gun, inflate a lift bag that is attached to the gun and then send it to the surface where the boat crew can then actually kill, gaff and/or dispatch your fish. The diver is not required to subdue or even come within 10 feet of the speared fish, correct?

I think it helps to be clear, so that everyone knows the rules.

Or we could all bring our computers to PROVE that we did not go into deco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDie View Post
Well put Jim. I know in the St. Pete Open the rule is stated "No contestant may receive assistance with any fish until he/she has one hand on the boat."
It appears it might not be a bad idea to reword that paragraph as it's not really clear.
__________________
John Biggs
Mega Moderator
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com