Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Wetsuit question

Over here in Michigan, it's getting warm enough to (almost) not have to worry about wetsuits. Before the weather gets cold again, I want to get a wetsuit that'll let me keep diving into the cold dark winter months. I've had a 7mil scuba wetsuit that I've taken into lake superior in the dead of winter and been comfortable(Scuba diving), but I hear the speardiving suits are supposed to be more effective than the scuba suits.

For anyone that spears in the cold months, would a 5mil Mako suit be ok for freediving with ice in the water? or should I push for something thicker?

Also, if you know of any great deals point me at them. I thought I had really stumbled on something great with immersion's site, until I realized slow shipping cost as much as a pair of wetsuit pants...
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Stick 'EM
Eat Em Raw

Re: Wetsuit question

PM sent
Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Freshy

I'm currently in UT and although I haven't gone spearfishing in any of the lakes here yet, I helped my girlfriend out at a few photo shoots late last and early this year at Deer Creek and the water was FREEZING. I would feel more comfortable with a 7mm wetsuit, thick gloves and socks too. The Mako suits are open cell and do keep you warmer than the scuba suits (or closed cell suits) but I would still go for the 7mm. I have a 3.5mm Mako suit that I use in Sydney and it works fine for when the water gets colder but it gets no where near as cold compared to the water here. The downside of a thicker suit is you'll need more weight. However, I'd rather add more weight to my belt than be uncomfortable during my dive.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Thanks for the advice! I asked because I'm used to the idea of a 7mil suit for cold water, but I was looking through rene potvin's site, and noticed he mentions using 5mil H dessault websuits for icediving.

Since then, I've looked up the price point for those suits, and I guess I should expect a suit that costs half as much might need a little more neoprene to be as warm...
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote