Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #211
CuzzA

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

Painted the helm chair parts today. They came out great. I'll reassemble tomorrow using red locktite on all the fasteners and take it to my upholstery girl for cushions.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #212
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

How are those sex screws coming along?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #213
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
How are those sex screws coming along?
If you guys are having trouble getting those sex bolts......I have quite a few different sizes.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #214
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
If you guys are having trouble getting those sex bolts......I have quite a few different sizes.
The key to a happy marriage, Kevin?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #215
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
The key to a happy marriage, Kevin?

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #216
Eibwen

This is very impressive James. Have you done a project like this before or are you operating based on youtube learnings? I remodeled a house once using youtube, wasn't a fast process.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #217
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Thanks for the offer, Kevin.

I am good right now as I got some from McMaster, but I'm sure I will need some in the future.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #218
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
This is very impressive James. Have you done a project like this before or are you operating based on youtube learnings? I remodeled a house once using youtube, wasn't a fast process.
Thanks man. My dad worked 14 years as a plastic injection mold maker out of high school. He would always joke to people, "I taught him everything he knows, but I didn't teach him everything I know".

He and I remodeled a few houses together, worked on many projects and built quite a few things so I have to give him credit for a lot of the skills he passed down to me.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #219
CuzzA

Ready for cushions. 3" should do.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #220
CuzzA

Rough cuts for the scuba tank benches. Made a torsion style box. I'll through bolt aluminum angle in the inside corners and cap the tops with rubber u channel. I'm making it easily removable so I'll probably just mount aluminum u channel in the benches so the whole works slides right in and out.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #221
CuzzA

Scuba tank dividers trimmed out. They are stout now, just need to fit them into the bench. The center divider will slide in and out should I ever want to store a bunch of stuff... you know, when the family wants to go to the sandbar and mom brings the house.

I don't think there's a coating that will hold up to the abuse these will take. I have some left over grey garage floor epoxy from a recent job and I think I'm just going to paint them with that just to give them a little protection and easier clean up/repaint in the future.

Also this is the look I requested for the helm chair.

I'll have an update tomorrow as the berth is pretty much done. Also made a slight change to the generator storage location.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #222
CuzzA

So the berth laminating is pretty much done. It looks small, and it is, but for good reason. I wanted them to sit as low as possible and putting it right on top of the stringer was the simplest solution. My plan is to have 6" thick cushions which will provide a good night's rest and it will also add a lot to the width as it contours the hull flare. That puts me back to about the original factory design.

I'm putting in a removable forward middle section which of course will add to the length of the berth. Almost seven feet in total. I always felt the forward section of most production cabins were a waste of good space. So on this boat it will be open allowing for storage of a ditch bag, etc. I'll install a lip on the side walls of the berth to hold the cushions, but also so I can mount roll control and add tanks there if need be.

I decided against putting the generator all the way forward as it would likely take a beating. Instead, it just so happened that if I added 3" to the pilot house deck into the cabin that the Honda 2200 would tuck right under it. I'll have a wall board that slides in front to seal off the generator during storage and I'll mount my step to that. I'll probably add some D rings so I can strap the generator down.

We've got a little bit more laminating to do and then I'll start fairing the following week so I can protect all of this new construction from the sun.

Then back to the cabin deck and pilot house. I might have one more update before I leave for Costa Rica.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #223
HARVESTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
So the berth laminating is pretty much done. It looks small, and it is, but for good reason. I wanted them to sit as low as possible and putting it right on top of the stringer was the simplest solution. My plan is to have 6" thick cushions which will provide a good night's rest and it will also add a lot to the width as it contours the hull flare. That puts me back to about the original factory design.

I'm putting in a removable forward middle section which of course will add to the length of the berth. Almost seven feet in total. I always felt the forward section of most production cabins were a waste of good space. So on this boat it will be open allowing for storage of a ditch bag, etc. I'll install a lip on the side walls of the berth to hold the cushions, but also so I can mount roll control and add tanks there if need be.

I decided against putting the generator all the way forward as it would likely take a beating. Instead, it just so happened that if I added 3" to the pilot house deck into the cabin that the Honda 2200 would tuck right under it. I'll have a wall board that slides in front to seal off the generator during storage and I'll mount my step to that. I'll probably add some D rings so I can strap the generator down.

We've got a little bit more laminating to do and then I'll start fairing the following week so I can protect all of this new construction from the sun.

Then back to the cabin deck and pilot house. I might have one more update before I leave for Costa Rica.

I'm getting frustrated because I'm torn between two boats... My SeaCraft was robbed and much of my work pilfered. my Chris is a beautiful boat but made like the cheapest (really surprised the CG let them get away with it) POS you can imagine - everything but the hull is wrong, rotten, cheap etc. while my ol' SC sits... So, this is what I'm going to do; use the new transom which was done right from the Chris w/ good Dusky Drive, laminate it into the SC and either scuttle the CC or if anyone wants a free project they're welcome to it. If anyone knows of a chopper outfit that can legally get rid of a legal boat LMK please.... Thanks in advance and the people who replied to my previous about reputable outboard repower operations thanks much for taking the time... Now about that free Coosa and Nida-core…. ME ME ME!
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #224
HARVESTER

Oh and I wanted to say great job on your work. Quality is evident. Takes time and money, so, a salute....
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #225
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARVESTER View Post
Oh and I wanted to say great job on your work. Quality is evident. Takes time and money, so, a salute....
Thanks man. I can't take credit for the laminating work as Charles has been knocking it out. But my money and plans. He's got 20 plus years of experience laminating and I felt it was wise to let the pro do the glass work on my first project boat.

I foresee a possible bigger build down the road and I've learned enough that I will try and tackle the lions share of that build on my own.

If you have scraps of coosa I'll buy it off you. Sending PM.