Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #16
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: GPS/Fishfinder for kayak diving

A typical blue water chart loaded in a handheld has everything you just said you want. It has pinnacles, water depths, fathom lines. It will show you realtime where you are in relation to those items. I used a garmin csx 76 with bluewater maps. Worked great for many years. Never had the need for a FF. Whatever FF you get research the software loaded and what you can load on it, ie maps. That is important to you. Your reefs in Guam are not like the shallow ones you are use to. Those reefs drop off into the abyss. More than likely, any pinnacles will be way outside the reach of your yak. Your not going to be taking that yak out miles off shore in the Pacific ocean. Its dangerous and just not done. Thats not saying there arent any high spots around (there are) however, they can all be explored and found with a quick check of the gps, look at the ocean or a jump in the water. Get you a handheld with good maps and capabilities thats what is really important. And then you can use it in the future for traveling or anything else you need a map for. Good luck with whatever you decide
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #17
MeTo

I just bought a Lowerance Mark 4 hdi. Sweet charts of the NE US came stock.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
I just picked up a Lowrance Mark4 Elite HDI for $180. It has nice NE USA chart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
I just bought a Lowerance Mark 4 hdi. Sweet charts of the NE US came stock.
When I saw these two posts, it caught me off guard. There are no Mark / Elite combos. A Mark is black and white screen and the Elite is color. Also, an Elite for a $180 is below cost. They run $400. So, I figured you meant the Mark, as they run $199 or less. I have owned the Mark 4, Mark 4x, Elite 4 DSI, and now own the Elite 4 and the Elite 4x (both color). Great units. When I use the Elite 4 with the GPS, it tends to drain the battery pack (8 AA's) fairly fast, where the 4X, without GPS seems to last all day with the same battery pack. You might have the same issue with the Mark 4 HDI's chartplotter. By the way, I bought all of these different units to try them out and see which would suit me better.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote