Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
bayboy

Re: DIY kayak anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hau View Post
bayboy--I've been watching your thread and realized that no one else has suggested the ANCHOR CHAIN.
I yak with lots of wind and current (in Miami also) and just use the 3lb grapnel anchor (West Marine has the best ones) with 2ft of SS chain (Home Depot) and either 100ft or 200ft of 250lb test braided polypropylene ($14. per 100f at Bass Pro).
Remember to have at least 2 to 1 scope (3-4 is way better).
This set up is what I use in Miami 150days a year spearing
Hope this helps
I have about five feet of chain on there as well,
Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
S. Haynie

Re: DIY kayak anchor

I've lost a few anchors and I tend to need heavier anchors than 3 lbs. Those seem to walk around if there is any wave activity.

This is what I did. Get a long inexpensive rope. I like the floating polypropaline type. I got 3/8" 100' red for around $10.00. Get a $2 basket ball net. Cut a short piece of rope and feed through the bottom loops and cinch it up and tie it off. Turnign it into a bag. feed the other longer piece of the rope around the top loops and tie a sliding knot. Whole thing is compact and light weight. When you get to the destination and are setting up . . . Pick up a nice rock.

If you get it stuck and need to leave it . . . Rocks are free, hoop nets cost $2. Pull hard enough and the rope will break.
S. Haynie is offline   Reply With Quote