Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Photos > Spearfishing Photos

Spearfishing Photos Use this area as your "Brag Board," posting photos of your haul.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
japppo
too drunk to ****

Finland Spearfishing

Here's a video about lake spearfishing in Finland. It is taking part in a Youtube video award, so I'm fishing for some views here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz42SWmIn5s

I spearfish mostly in the lakes nearby although the Baltic Sea is brackish and has almost the same fish species as the lakes. This film was shot during the summer 2015 and these are my favorite catches. I fish while freediving only and prefer minimal equipment. Best sessions are those with only a mask and a polespear, aboriginal style... Only problem is that there are not many days warm enough for that here in Finland.

If you want to support my competition, go to the youtube page, press like and post a comment. The award is ranked based on views, likes and commemts, so even haters can help....

Check out my channel for more videos. Spearfishing, freediving and marine life encounters.
https://www.youtube.com/salaseivastajat
Old 04-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
grey2112

Re: Finland Spearfishing

Very nice! I'd love to get over there some day - I'm of Norwegian Lapp decent on father's side and have a love for fine Finnish firearms (Sako and Tikka) - don't know if I'd spearfish, though - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
japppo
too drunk to ****

Thanks. Feel free to contact if you do come to Finland someday. Although, Norway is awesome fishing as well. And the guns, yes they are purpose-built killer beauties.

I just finished making a series about dive lights, an essential piece of gear in the dark lakes here in Finland. I had to find spots that had some current, so they would be free of ice, this time of year. I little bit cold, yup.

Don't take it seriously, I have a very twisted sense of humor. English subtitles provided, enjoy!

New episode out every Wed and Sat.

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fcC92H2PaSLo8m

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/hlvhT2eBH6A

Last edited by japppo; 04-15-2016 at 12:32 AM.
japppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
grey2112

LOL -I like your sense of humor - a lot like mine. Must be genetic. Hey, if you ever get over to the states let us know - if you are in the area we'll take you out for some saltwater spearing
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
japppo
too drunk to ****

I'll definately let you know when I come to FL again. I just came back from LA about a week ago. Here's some of the action, which was not much, but I was happy to see two WSB.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
grey2112

Jarno, good talking to you via email. As it gets closer to next Feb/Mar we'll try to plan at least some time to hang out, but hopefully we can get you at least on the water if not in it. Don't take it personally if me and my buddies sit up top drinking hot coffee with Kahlua or Irish Cream while you do all the diving in the cold water - LOL.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
japppo
too drunk to ****

Eric, thanks for helping me out! Can't wait to check the gulf side. Cold water is not a problem for me and it makes the beer taste even better. In any case I have to jump in just to check it out.

I'm planning to check out several shore spots freediving with a polespear from West Palm Beach down to Ft Lauderdale on the last week of Feb. If anyone's interested, you're welcome to join. Otherwise I'm going solo. Just hoping the winds to be calm this time...

Here's another flashback from last summer in Finland. A small clear lake that holds some pike and small perch. There are couple perch that are barely edible size, but taste better than the normal sausage we grill everyday.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
japppo
too drunk to ****

Here's another pike shafted last summer. I was taking a friend out, it was his first trip with a self owned speargun so I wanted him to take this fish.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Love the vids my finnish brother.
If you're ever in northern Florida (Destin/Ft. Walton Beach) come spear with a American Fin who's no good with the cold.
As my Grandmother used to tell me "paska housuissa"
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
japppo
too drunk to ****

Thanks John!
I've seen some videos about spearing near oil rigs in the gulf. That's on the to do list. Unfortunately my next trip schedule does not allow me to visit there. I think there are probably more Finns spearfishing in the US, than we have back here...

Tomorrow we are going to freedive under the ice in a lake, that's always "refreshing". And scary as hell.

heh, tosimiehellä on aina vähän paskaa housuissa...
Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
japppo
too drunk to ****

Here's a roach shot from last autumn. A small fish on the move and probably at the max range of my 75cm speargun. We call that a lucky shot.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
RAG

Huuva Paiva. I lived in Kuopio, Finland for a year on a lake in 2006 and went to school. We cut through the ice in the winter to jump in after sauna. I've seen the seasons there and I'm motivated by you're dedication to spearfishing man! ihana videos
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 AM   #13
japppo
too drunk to ****

Thanks RAG! I lived in Kuopio as well in 2003.

Here's a clip from last weekend. This lake was infested with algae bloom that made it unswimmable, and now as a last resort they sprayed about 170 000 kg of polyaluminiumchloride in the lake.

It took all the particles and phosphates down the bottom and cleared the water. Spearos were tasked to catch freshwater breams and collect dead fish from the bottom. Predatory fish like pike and perch were not allowed for fishing.

I shot 3 bream and collected 27 dead ones. In total during 3 hours, 19 spearos shot 170 kg of live breams and collected 500 kg of dead ones.

An interesting day. Check out this video:

Old 05-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #14
SubSub

Pretty awesome viz after the polyalubalablathing...
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:16 AM   #15
japppo
too drunk to ****

Here's a video from the Finnish Nationals in 2017. I was using a pole spear to shoot a freshwater bream in the Baltic Sea. The sea is brackish, so freshwater species are more common than cod and other saltwater species.

I was the only idiot using a pole spear, but here goes...