Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
apexdiver
Tony

Since it is shark week(anyone have any great white encounters)Please share your story

Has anyone on here had any white shark encounters while diving?I would love to hear your story.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
rfmjr2

Re: Since it is shark week(anyone have any great white encounters)Please share your s

Farnsworth Bank. 1986 or 7. Me the girl, best friend , crazy killer from South Africa. Been there 3 or 4 times before. Went off the top to hit a cave I remembered at around 110. Checked the "Edge" (that's the best dive computor ever made for you spuds) before going in. Said "9 minutes into the dive". 9. Bait fish pummeled me with abandon. Seal there- looked up and saw the silloett of the man in the grey suit at the extreme of vis. About 100 feet. Always wondered what I'd do when this happened. With the experiance I'd had at this point I'd thought I'd be cool. Not. Freaked. Scambled up the cliff, looked back and of course- she turned to see what the ruckus was. Distance closed by half. Over the edge I went. Looked back. 20 feet away. Stationwagen commin. Saw the girl friend trying to pull a fishing lurer out of something. Grabed her. Pointed to make her look. Had to pull my hand back not to touch the grey man's car hood size head. I hid behind a big rock. Held my breath. Waited for him to come around. Thought I could shoot him in the eye or something. Silly. Waited about a minute not knowing what to expect to see,went back around to the girl. Mask was gone. Face bleeding. Lots of bubbles. Found the mask, fixed'er up and bolted for the anchor 50 feet away. The Man had sort of ground her into the bottom. I hear they do the sometimes when they want to feel ya. Saw that South Africa dude sitting next to the anchor, shooting Sheep Head with 10 on the string, gutting them as he brought them in to chum for more. Didn't stop to explain. Up the line to boat. Me and the girl. Hit the swim step and the skipper took a picture of the happy divers returning. I still have that picture and still do not recognize those two people. Edge said 11 minutes. 2 minutes. The chase- the hide- the assent. 2 minutes. From 110 feet. Got the other two jackasses that saw nothing back in the boat and told the skipper (this was a private charter for the 4 of us) to get us to the chamber which was 6 miles away. Now. Blew that off for a quick return to 40 feet outside Cat Harbor. More for just getting back into a dive than for deco sake. New I'd never go back if I didn't go back immediatly. It worked. That was 27 years ago and maybe 1000 dives later around these islands . I'm 55 now. Still dive with my best friend, the South African dude- never saw him again.Good. The girl gave me VD but was a good tough diver. Haven't seen her since.
rfmjr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
jadairiii

Re: Since it is shark week(anyone have any great white encounters)Please share your s

Told this one before, July 2005, diving just south of Jupiter inlet on the deep ledge. Had a 16' to 18' White swim by into the current heading south about 30' from me as I was drifting north. I had about 6 pretty good size bulls around me at the time, 7 to 9 footers and they looked like lionfish compared to that school bus!

The white could have cared less about me, but damn that is a freaky sight, something that big that is an "eater".
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
seasea

that megalodon stuff was fluff.........shark eating a boat......it would have left teeth in the hull, remember that in JAWS??.....imagine, fresh white clean Meg Teeth, they would make news and fetch a helluva price. Probably hit some underwater obstruction and sank, if it even happend. and eye witness accounts about size, watch gator boys, 12' alligator sightings end up being 6'ers all the time. I like the history lesson on what they know about them and such, cool seeing teeth on TV and having my own collection. Lots of hollywood on that episode, of course there are mermaids out there too, just watch that show. Young man asked me if I thought there was any chance it was true, oh it surely is.......so is santa claus/tooth fairy/easter bunny.....they are real too.
CC
seasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
HARVESTER

Told this one before too....

Montuak, NY - september late 1988. We just landed the biggest Blue Dog Shark I've ever seen and a 20-plus (no shit) monster appeared below the boat. It looked like a submarine and was wide as a small boat.

It didnt even sniff any baits we had and the captain was breaking out the Poon... thankfully the fish moved off, looking like a sub. It was hard to even see the tail move.

What a great fish... One of the reasons I spent the rest of my life staring at the sea.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
diverderek

Last year 150' alone. 16 jacks and two cobia on the stringer. Looked out and saw a speedster shark heading right for me. I kicked up off the bottom a little and shot an 11' in the nose. Rolled his ass. Dead
diverderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverderek View Post
Last year 150' alone. 16 jacks and two cobia on the stringer. Looked out and saw a speedster shark heading right for me. I kicked up off the bottom a little and shot an 11' in the nose. Rolled his ass. Dead
White shark?
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Trolling yesterday evening in 275-350 just east of the Juno ledge. Spotted the shark from 200yards cruising the surface headed south. Positioned the boat to intercept the fish. Nearly ran her over in the process(I figured she would course correct???). She was prob 11-12' and a few ft wide. She was high enough in the water that it was unmistakable. The fisherman I was with was yelling DONT RUN IT OVER! It will sink the boat!

No pictures weeee taken because all 3 of us ran to the bow to stare in awe.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
xquizitdjx

Great share everyone!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverderek View Post
Lol.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
unkabonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmjr2 View Post
Farnsworth Bank. 1986 or 7. Me the girl, best friend , crazy killer from South Africa. Been there 3 or 4 times before. Went off the top to hit a cave I remembered at around 110. Checked the "Edge" (that's the best dive computor ever made for you spuds) before going in. Said "9 minutes into the dive". 9. Bait fish pummeled me with abandon. Seal there- looked up and saw the silloett of the man in the grey suit at the extreme of vis. About 100 feet. Always wondered what I'd do when this happened. With the experiance I'd had at this point I'd thought I'd be cool. Not. Freaked. Scambled up the cliff, looked back and of course- she turned to see what the ruckus was. Distance closed by half. Over the edge I went. Looked back. 20 feet away. Stationwagen commin. Saw the girl friend trying to pull a fishing lurer out of something. Grabed her. Pointed to make her look. Had to pull my hand back not to touch the grey man's car hood size head. I hid behind a big rock. Held my breath. Waited for him to come around. Thought I could shoot him in the eye or something. Silly. Waited about a minute not knowing what to expect to see,went back around to the girl. Mask was gone. Face bleeding. Lots of bubbles. Found the mask, fixed'er up and bolted for the anchor 50 feet away. The Man had sort of ground her into the bottom. I hear they do the sometimes when they want to feel ya. Saw that South Africa dude sitting next to the anchor, shooting Sheep Head with 10 on the string, gutting them as he brought them in to chum for more. Didn't stop to explain. Up the line to boat. Me and the girl. Hit the swim step and the skipper took a picture of the happy divers returning. I still have that picture and still do not recognize those two people. Edge said 11 minutes. 2 minutes. The chase- the hide- the assent. 2 minutes. From 110 feet. Got the other two jackasses that saw nothing back in the boat and told the skipper (this was a private charter for the 4 of us) to get us to the chamber which was 6 miles away. Now. Blew that off for a quick return to 40 feet outside Cat Harbor. More for just getting back into a dive than for deco sake. New I'd never go back if I didn't go back immediatly. It worked. That was 27 years ago and maybe 1000 dives later around these islands . I'm 55 now. Still dive with my best friend, the South African dude- never saw him again.Good. The girl gave me VD but was a good tough diver. Haven't seen her since.
Wow... gnarly thanks for posting.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote