Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
AEgir

Re: Cay sal bank

^There's tons of good bottom from Riding Rocks down to Orange Cay. Just gotta put in the effort.
AEgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #32
Rob_Orange

Alright thanks for the advice ill check it out when i do go! thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #33
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporaScrub View Post
I don't know about all that taking a dozen of those passes. Given the fact that the fishing off Bimini is just as good and theres more than enough of a distance to "nicely stretch it's propellers". Start making trips to Bimini first and then maybe the buying a dozen passes to travel to cay sal would be more credible. I'm assuming you haven't gone to Bimini based on the comment of your boat sitting idle. With the flat calm conditons that are present in the summer and living so close to the bahamas, theres no excuse to have a 30' cat with twin 300 sitting idle for too long.
the financial just does not justify the run. at 1.25mpg cruising speed. do the math.

65 miles from black point marina to cat cay to check in and refuel ($5.20 a gallon).
127 miles from cat cay to cay sal.
20 miles to run around cay sal.
65 miles from cay sal to hawk cay to refuel ($4.90 a gallon).
65 miles from hawk cay to black point marina.

342 miles @ 1.25mpg @ 5.00 a gallon = $1380
add the check-in fee of $150 + $30 + whatever corrupt official fee for six spearo.
now consider only 20lb of fish, 10 conch, and 6 bug to split among six spearo.

as you can clearly see. even before considering food, water, ice for the spearo and the time of travel and the wear and tear (maintaince) on the boat.

it is cheaper to charter poachsistent. at least you can shoot with guns and tanks.

(1) if the "such" permit did exist as in - all six spearo join the bahamas frequent visitor club/permit and all it take is a satellite phone call to check-in. direct run from marathon to cay sal and back (130 miles round trip). (2) also revert the regulations back to was what it used to be. 20 scale fish or 60lb fillet, 6 conch, 10 crayfish and safe passage from country to country.

anyone with a big boat would be a fool not to exercise such run regularly.

never been to cay sal so unable to compare it to bimini. one thing for sure. when there is less fishing pressure there is more fish and bigger fish. bimini has consistent fishing pressure. cay sal has virtually zero pressure. which place is the better place to fish? you can do the math this time.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #34
MIDNIGHT DREAMS

20miles around cay sal is like two fishing spots.

And your wrong on the fishing in cay sal last time I was there there was a comercial Bahamian fishing vessel there , it was about 75' mother ship and 10 small boats with Bahamian spearos collecting fish and lobsters and conch I don't know how many time they visit the bank on there commercial trips but they work the area .

Last edited by MIDNIGHT DREAMS; 09-22-2012 at 07:07 PM.
MIDNIGHT DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
UaVaj

thanks for the correction. even so - imho - cay sal would still substained less fishing pressure compare to bimini with (1) all of southeast florida and (2) all the nearby bahamas port.

for future planning. what is the typical running range from reef to reef (spot to spot). how many miles to safetly allocate for running around cay sal?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #36
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaVaj View Post
that guy must be poachsistent.

accept my apology up front if there is such a different permit. for I will take a dozen. due to all my buddies having smaller boats better suited for the short local runs to the reefs - my 30' cat with twin 300 has been sitting idle for too long. such a run will nicely stretch it's propellers. it would be awesome to run direct to cay sal from marathon twice a month without that wrong direction pit stop in bimini/cat cay to physically check in.

important: do not forget about the 2012 fishing regulations. in bahamas water - 20lb of fish, 6 lobster, and 10 conch per vessel. once back in us federal/state water - the regular safmc and fwc regulations applies. there is NO safe passage of marine harvest from country to country.

some more food for thought.
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=142705
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=140663
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134421
No worries. I had pretty much already concluded there isn't. I didn't talk to the guy long but either he doesn't know what he is doing or I miss quoted him. If there were such a thing i'm sure more people would know about it.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #37
southernspearit

The cay sal bank is incredible . I spent 10 months down there diving as far south as cay Lobos . Some of the biggest and dumbest hogfish I have ever seen . Incredible blue holes and off the chain wahoo fishing . Piracy and theft is an issue as it is still the wild west that far south . The USCG patrols there and checks every boat it sees . We camped on the deserted islands ,explored ,and fished every day . Find someone with a sailboat and spend a couple weeks down there . Too far of a day trip for the money to do it safely or legally . As far as the permit for not clearing in , there is one available for your return to the USA . There is not one available for not clearing into the Bahamas . Good Luck .
southernspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #38
kwtony
Snorkel Master

^ thanks for now making me want to just up and sail a boat to cay sal...
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #39
Putmeincoach
Nate

Send a message via Skype™ to Putmeincoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernspearit View Post
The cay sal bank is incredible . I spent 10 months down there diving as far south as cay Lobos . Some of the biggest and dumbest hogfish I have ever seen . Incredible blue holes and off the chain wahoo fishing . Piracy and theft is an issue as it is still the wild west that far south . The USCG patrols there and checks every boat it sees . We camped on the deserted islands ,explored ,and fished every day . Find someone with a sailboat and spend a couple weeks down there . Too far of a day trip for the money to do it safely or legally . As far as the permit for not clearing in , there is one available for your return to the USA . There is not one available for not clearing into the Bahamas . Good Luck .
That sounds like the dream. Wtf am I doing with my life.
Putmeincoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #40
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
^ thanks for now making me want to just up and sail a boat to cay sal...
friend of mine has a 35 catamaran sailboat perfect for something like this..
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #41
TroutJr

Don't worry about the Coasties being out to get you in that area. Just out there trying to catch drug runners and migrants. They will definitely want to board your vessel to make sure you don't have either onboard, then let you go on your way. Depending on where you went, the most you will have to do when you get back to the states is call Customs and Border patrol when you moor up.
TroutJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #42
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
friend of mine has a 35 catamaran sailboat perfect for something like this..
STOOOOOOOP!!!!
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #43
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutJr View Post
Don't worry about the Coasties being out to get you in that area. Just out there trying to catch drug runners and migrants. They will definitely want to board your vessel to make sure you don't have either onboard, then let you go on your way. Depending on where you went, the most you will have to do when you get back to the states is call Customs and Border patrol when you moor up.
how do I put this softly?? YOUR A F^&*&ING IDIOT. They will check your fish and they will have Bahamian officials on the boat if they are on the bank. If you get caught by the coast guard be happy, the Bahamian Royal navy are very corrupt.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #44
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutJr View Post
this is only half truth. this actually happens quite a bit. more than we all want to acknowledge. coasties quick check and you go about. problem is. most of us do not want to be the gineau pig to re-test this out. without the proper paperwork (aka check-in), it could get ugly fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
how do I put this softly?? YOUR A F^&*&ING IDIOT. They will check your fish and they will have Bahamian officials on the boat if they are on the bank. If you get caught by the coast guard be happy, the Bahamian Royal navy are very corrupt.
this was a little harsh. however it is good tough love.

the other half truth is. you better hope bahamas officials are NOT on board the coasties vessel or on their own patrol boat. could get expensive fast. corruption = at least you can buy your way out (if you brough enough benjamins).
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #45
Rob_Orange

We should just all convoy to cay sal and F^&K S%!T up!