Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 04-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #16
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

Nice to meet you Screen Name. I ended up freediving some of the day anyway. Should have signed up! How did your team do? We had a pretty good day around the 45fsw depths. Hunted Friday and Saturday. I shot a huge Gag in a hole that I lost. I'm still pissed off.
That Dorado team had a chitload of NICE fish. Nobody would give me a straight answer on the depths they dove.. Maybe I'll do one of those freedive tournaments some day. I can still do the 50fsw depths.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:32 PM   #17
Ed Walker

Yes, that girl can shoot some fish let me tell ya. She shot a line gun and as soon as she pulls the trigger she heads up. She knows she got em' and she does, everytime. Unlike myself who shot freeshaft and not only lost a tough wrestling match with a pissed off bellyshot 12 pound gag but later had a clean miss on one that would have limited out the boat on gags. Shooting 150 pounds of fish in day of freediving aint a bad day though. We're already making plans for next year and have every intention of moving up on the scoreboard. I will say i was impressed with the competition. Theres some incredibly talented freedivers in that tournament. Thanks to those of you who helped put the whole thing together.

Last edited by Ed Walker; 04-22-2003 at 12:36 PM.
Ed Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:35 PM   #18
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Ed's can freedive!

Don't let Ed bullshit you with that lame story above, the boy has natural ability, because he had not freedived or shot his gun since fall. We scouted Friday but just did mostly look-see dives, and he only got to shoot one time all day. He ran out of steam late in the day, but let me tell you it's really grueling to freedive hard all day long! Two years ago it kicked my butt big time, so this year I was prepared. Sheri has been freediving or scuba diving almost weekly too. Ed shot 12 fish for for 64.6 points. His biggest hogfish was 4.1 only .3 away from 1st. He's pissed about losing that gag, but hey I lost a 10 lbs gag too, it happens.
Ed's very competitive and usualy wins everything he fishes in. Check lighttacklecharters.com and you'll see what I mean. If you tournament divers want a real dose of reality check the size of the prizes on his site. (A 5hp Mercury Kicker is the biggest prize ever in the St Pete Open, the biggest tournament in the world! Usually it's a 2hp or last year it was only a regulator.)
Next year the freedivers will remember us, Sheri's hard to forget anyway, but so were our stringers. They won't have a clue about our abilities for next year... we're going to shame some pretty big shooters!

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:50 PM   #19
RichT

The results and pictures for the state tournament have been posted at FSDA-wcc.com
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:38 AM   #20
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla
i don't usually do that well with tanks... you guys (and gal) are awesome!
Old 04-28-2003, 12:38 PM   #21
RichT

I also would like to thank the organizers and volunteers that made this tournament a great success. Especially Dave Shelton.
I had a great time at this years tournament even though we only put our team together 3 days before the tournament and did no scouting.
I have competed against or with many of the shooters participating in the State tournament and can attest to the fact that everybody who participated is a great shooter.

I think most everybody who competed in this tounament will agree that the atmosphere at this event is unlike many spearfishing or fishing tournaments.
It feels as though all of the participants have a great deal of respect for each other just for entering this tournament and it shows both in the morning and at the end of the day.

It was great seeing some new teams this year and I look forward to seeing some more new teams next year.
One of the great things about Bayport is that if you can locate an area that is holding fish you can really load up Quick.

Just an observation. But I counted 12 current or former members of the St. Pete Underwater Club on the roster at the State Championships.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote