Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 State Freedive Spearfishing Championship - April 5, 2013

2013 State Freedive Spearfishing Championship - April 5, 2013 If you like Freedive competition, check out this Florida west coast tourney.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

50th annual "Southern Open" FL State Championships

I wanted to announce that registration is now open for the 50th annual "Southern Open" FL State Championships for UW Photography, Video & Spearfishing as well as a new State Lionfish Derby. Event is sponsored by the clubs of the FSDA. You may register for your preferred event or pre-register by June 7 for all four events for $75!

The State Video championship will be held via upload to Youtube. The UW Photo and Video Contests will start at noon on May 10th and end on the June 7th cut-off. See rules attached. Awards and Trophy ceremony is held June 16th.

The FL State Spearfishing Championship and State Lionfish Derby is held June 14-16th. We have changed the rules, adding a new pelagic category and State Pelagic Champion trophy, added several more common East coast and Keys fish to even out Grouper, Snapper, Hogfish and Sheepshead categories for inshore vs. offshore, scuba or. freedive and coastal differences.

I am also pleased to announce a partnership with Alex Fogg from the University of Southern Miss Coastal Science department on our State Lionfish Derby. The derby will offer $1,000 in cash prizes to top three lionfish shooters and largest lionfish.

We will have satellite meetings TBA around the state Friday night on June 14th (contact me for closest meeting or if you are interested in helping for your area).

Shoot anywhere in Florida dawn to dusk Saturday June 15th.

Weigh-in and Awards will be held June 16th at Sunset Grill at Little Harbor (Ruskin, FL). This is a new central location off I-75 halfway between Tampa and Sarasota. Weigh-in line opens at 11am and closes at NOON.

Little Harbor resort has some nice rooms under $100 for out of town competitors with pool, tennis courts, private beach, 3 marinas, waterfront restaurant, two bars, tiki bar and meeting facilities. Awards and prizes will be held in the AIR CONDITIONED grand ballroom. see www.staylittleharbor.com for directions and reservations.

2013 marks the 50th anniversary of FSDA hosting Florida's State Championships. We will be honoring several living legends from our sport's past during the awards ceremony. We also have a very special guest speaker, Ted Harty, captain of the 2012 US Freediving Team and a US record holder, of Immersion Freediving, who will be sharing some wonderful insight on the up and coming sport of freediving and the future of our sport.

Attached are rules and registration for this event. You may also register at www.floridaskindivers.com. Please feel free to PM me or contact me with any questions 317-412-262.

Bill Van Deman
FSDA President
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FSDA 2013  southern open.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	189151  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Southern Open Rules 2013.pdf (507.6 KB, 988 views)
File Type: pdf 2013 Southern Open Photo _ Video Rules.pdf (70.7 KB, 908 views)

Last edited by wvandeman; 05-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
wvandeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

Re: 50th annual "Southern Open" FL State Championships

Two weeks left to pre-register for Southern Open State Championships at discounted price (plus free 50th anniversary commemorative t-shirt).

Register online at http://www.active.com/outdoors-tourn...mpionship-2013

We are excited to announce that this year is going to bring back statewide satellite captain's meetings to make this a truly statewide event. Captain's meetings are Friday night June 14 for team check-in (1 person from each team must attend) and we will go over any last minute rule changes. Times will vary by area as we will be staggering the call-ins (see below).

You can pick up your shooter bag and prize table mystery ticket (and t-shirts for any pre-registered shooters registered by June 7th) at weigh-in Sunday if you do not go to main captain's meeting at Little Harbor, Ruskin, FL.

If you do not have a captain's meeting location nearby (within 30-45 minutes) and would be willing to help host in your area PM me your contact information.

Here is a list of satellite locations so far (will update as I get new ones):

East Coast-Palm Beach
check-in time- 7pm
Florida Freedivers
905 US Highway 1 Ste A
West Palm Beach, FL
Rob Murphy- Meeting liason

East Coast-Jacksonville
check-in time-7:30pm
Mudville Grill
3105 Beach Blvd
Jacksonville, FL
Donny Trauthwein-Meeting liason

Miami/Upper Keys
check-in time- 7:15pm
Vortex Spearfishing
2803 Sw 27th Ave
Miami, FL
Ricardo Paris-Meeting liason

Key West/Lower Keys
check-in time- 8:00 pm
Hurricane Hole Marina Bar
5130 Overseas Hwy 1
Key West, FL
Ben Van Deman-Meeting liason

Lakeland/Central Florida
check-in time: 7:45pm
Off the Wall Dive Adventures
2055 Shepherd Rd
Lakeland, FL
Chris/TJ-Meeting liason

Sarasota/Bradenton
check-in time- 8:30pm
Dive Adventures
8803 Cortez Rd W
Bradenton, FL
Chris Barton-Meeting liason

Panhandle/Destin
Check-in time 8:15 pm
AJ's Seafood & Oyster Bar
116 Harbor Boulevard
Destin, FL 32541
Alex Fogg-Meeting liason

Clearwater/Tarpon Springs
Check-in time 8:45 pm
Location TBA

[b]Central Captain's MeetingB]
Late Registration (this location only) 7:00 pm
Captain's meeting 8:30pm
Sunset Grill at Little Harbor
611 Destiny Dr
Ruskin, FL

The weigh-in and awards will be held Sunday at Sunset Grill at Little Harbor at 611 Destiny Dr, Ruskin, FL. Weigh-in opens at 11am and closes at noon sharp.

If you would like to drive up and have onsite accommodations Saturday night, the Resort at Little Harbor is giving us a special group rate for the Southern Open starting at $83 for waterview room with two double beds. You will need to call them to get a discounted rate up until June 7, 2013. 813-645-3291
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

Clearwater and Tarpon Springs check-in will be held at Ocean Sports in Dunedin. Late Registration will start at 7:30 and captain's meeting will be held from 8:30-8:45pm. Address is:

2109 Main St Ste A
· Dunedin

(727) 733-1919

Remember, discount early registration is available online until June 7, 2013 at http://www.active.com/outdoors-tourn...mpionship-2013
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

Everything looks on track for captain's meetings tomorrow night. I will look at our 5 day forecast tomorrow and confirm we are a go if it is not small craft conditions.

I have heard from most locations on our satellite meetings and everything looks in place.

I heard from one team in the Keys and we discussed arrangements but I haven't heard from anyone shooting in Destin or Jax so if any Jacksonville or Panhandle shooters can call me directly at 317-412-2626 during the day or before 7pm we will make sure you have information you need over the phone.

If anyone has any issues during the captain's meetings or finding their contact at the scheduled call in times please call me directly at 317-412-2626 and leave me your contact name and number if the line is busy. Someone from FSDA will call you back shortly.

Be safe!
Bill