Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #31
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

Re: Frying Pan Tower catch

Matt-
Thanks for bringing some non-partisan sense to the e-world. I saw the pics from you and surfspears trip recently and it looks like ya'll got it good.
I found out today that my spots we went to yesterday had been hit commercially the day before: 400lbs of grouper and over 100lbs of Hog taken. We dove on a desert.
It happens that fast, a special place cleaned out for money. I could go off about it but instead I'm just going to go hunt for more good reef, make some good from the bad, and keep quiet about it.
Are you going to Hatteras for the tournament? I'm trying to go but haven't done any planning yet- no boat either.
Peace,
Ryan
BS Marine Biology-UNCW
USCG Master 50 ton Captain
PADI MSDT
OMER Sales Rep.

http://www.InSeaWorldwide.com
guttshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #32
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Yeah...AK said he rolled up to blackburn brothers with 4/5 boxes of fish. Guess that sums up the "there is no commercial market for hogs". Oh and they fetch nearly twice what gags do.

I am all in for Hatteras. I am on Bob's boat right now, but I haven't heard from anyone in a bit. I think Mark took his boat up this past weekend. I'll try to find out more tomorrow and I'll let you know. Check w/ Mark and see if anyone has space, and I'll check w/ Bob. Last I heard Wahlers and Balta are on with us. Should be fun. Sorry about the shaft mishap yesterday...check out spearfishing.cc Ray made a couple shafts for my new gun and the prices are great. $35 for a 5/16" threaded.

Take it easy-
Matt
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #33
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

"the shaft mishap" for those interested:
I set up my 100cm Cobra with a new 7mm shaft and a nice break-away, then rigged it so that the float line attaches straight to the shooting line. Fire, sling the the bands and gun over the shoulder, and swim up the line right? Well I was off my game in many ways yesterday... but I jumped in on a ledge, made a bunch of dives and hadn't seen sh!t, I'm coming up from one and big Spaniard swims by. I don't mind the taste so I shot, hit him good and reach out to grab the line as it went by... but it wasn't there. The fish was death-spiralling in front of me as I realized that on my way in I had attached the float to the gun, not the shooting line. I chased after him as he faded with the current just out of reach but ran short on O2 and had to come up without my $100+ freeshafted Spanish.
I'm an idiot.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:35 AM   #34
Spearchuckerz
Subaquatic bitchslapper

Guttshot,

You are lucky that you freeshafted that spanish. It may have drug you and your gun into the abyss.

The laugh was worth $115 (at least for me).
Spearchuckerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #35
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

Go back to the tower you crawled out of SpearChugger! Glad I could be of entertainment value at least... shooting quail with my elephant gun.
I got a bigger laugh out of Donkey Jesus (you know who you are!) shooting that gag in the ass! Thing woulda been constipated for a month if he hadn't boated him.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #36
Mattedhead
Matt Head

I thought SurfSpearo was married???? What happens when the old lady finds out he was out all sunday taggin' ass? AS for the Donkey Jesus comment, he screwed up and left his wetsuit at Brock's for 2 days...hehehe It's always fun to soak someone elses wetsuit in menhaden oil and hog guts.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #37
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

So much for bragging about a BS MS degree.Hogfish come to market @3.25 to 3.70 max and gags go 3.50 to 3.90 in SC and NC.Slightly less in Fla and Ga.
Easily verifiable by calling any fish house without that arrogant chip on your shoulder against legally fishing commercial divers.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #38
Bill McIntyre

Not to change the subject too much, but since we have the attention of these highly qualified marine science experts, there is a thread on DeeperBlue by a guy in Rhode Island who just speared a strange fish in 6 to 8 feet of water. He showed a photo and asked what it was, and its a nice hogfish.

Has anyone every heard of them in shallow water and/or in Rhode Island?

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 07-11-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #39
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Actually capt they pulled $4.80 this weekend. Oh and myself and another guy here used to work at said fish house. Sorry to burst your bubble(s). On top of that I never said a word against the commercial spearing...try to get your targets right.

And Bill...ignoring the evident sarcasm...yes I have heard of them in shallow water (seen them in the surf in the bahamas), and no an RI hogfish is news to me.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #40
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Sorry but you grouped yoursef in with them by giving us your qualifications together.
BTW if you'd gimme the # to that fish house if you don't mind I know a few folks who'd love to get a raise.

As far as the degree comment our friends @ FSU and Miami the Koenigs and Ault have vast seas of letters behind thier names too.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #41
PatMyGreen
Panama City Diving

I am very happy to know that we have these very knowledgable new additions to the board. I was certainly unaware that commercial operators based their trips off of trip reports posted on anonymous websites. Damn those crafty HeadHunter boys! BTW its pretty hard to miss a freakin tower in the middle of no where. I supposeyou guys want to classify all known shipwreck locations too? Only guys that surf and have worked in a fish house, and got their masters in fisheries ecology will get clearance.
PatMyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #42
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

Thumbs down Re: Frying Pan Tower catch

100 days of Patting his green:
Maybe if you guys had a GED behind your names you could read each others posts. Maybe even read the whole thread, cause then you'd be laughing as hard at your comments as we are right now.
I will respond to both of you with a simple "thumbs down" so that we understand each other. It's ironic that very soon 'your' tax dollars will be paying 'us' to figure out why all the fish are gone, and you'll be shaking some lemon-pepper on your words because there's nothing left on your plate to eat.
Sleep well kids, and don't let your conscience keep you from a good stroke in front of the mirror.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #43
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMyGreen
I just found out about this spot called the "Frying Pan Shoals Tower." It was appearantly a big secret until just recently when another jerk scuba shooter posted in a thread w/ pictures that was where he was getting fish from. You should try to beat the crowd there this weekend, and take everything you can shoot before it gets fished out by renegade florida commercial fisherman reading this site.
I hope your kids appreciate your sense of humor.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #44
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Chicken Little elitist posers as well as uninformed.Go back to FDL or Deeperblue.Where you would be welcome.

I could probably pack your accumulated knowledge and experience into one fart.And my personal taxes could probly pay at least 1 of your salaries parasite.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #45
Bill McIntyre

This is frigging ridiculous from a distance. Its been since the mid 1970s that I lived in North Carolina, but I heard of the Frying Pan Shoals tower then, and I've heard about it frequently since I've left. Several years ago guys on the Freedivelist were posting stories and photos about the place. To say that someone telling about getting fish there is going to put the commercials onto a "secret spot" is ludicrous.

As near as I can tell some of you have extended the argument to say that commercials got onto your "secret numbers" (if there is such a thing) and wiped out the fish. That may be true, but what the hell does that have with the tower at Frying Pan Shoals?

Or am I missing something? I'm still working on that GED.

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 07-12-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote