Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Basskrieg

Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Et al,

I have been back and forth lately over getting either a sat phone or a Garmin inReach. After researching the current inReach models in stores right now that are going for $399 and $499, I found a website called GPS City that has the inReach SE model for $219 and free shipping. This gives you all the texting/tracking capability of the latest inReach models but much cheaper.

See the URL below if interested...

http://www.gpscity.com/delorme-inreach-se

Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #2
rowow

Re: Delorme (Garmin) inReachSE $219 Free Shipping

Whats the advantages of one of these over any regular smart phone? Its much simpler and easier on your phone too with a bigger and higher quality screen. For $200 I could even buy a new smart phone to use only as a gps.
I dont see the reasoning behind buying it even if its $20
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
Whats the advantages of one of these over any regular smart phone? Its much simpler and easier on your phone too with a bigger and higher quality screen. For $200 I could even buy a new smart phone to use only as a gps.
Google is your friend
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
grey2112

Quote:
Cell phone is great . . . . when you are in range of a cell tower. THIS device allows you to send and receive txt messages via satellite anywhere in the world. Great backup safety/emergency device.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Cell phone is great . . . . when you are in range of a cell tower. THIS device allows you to send and receive txt messages via satellite anywhere in the world. Great backup safety/emergency device.
You dont need cell service to use gps, but for the send and txt I agree thats something? But why would you need it? There are also cellphone boosters which use a external antenna and creates your own cell hot spot for $15 on ebay, which the expensive overpriced models costing under $150, still beating this any day. Plus you get internet. They have a limited range of 20-30 miles, but that agian is more then enough for most people.

But agian why would you need cell and texting? If for a emergency a VHF is FAR better and cheaper, as it directly contacts you with local coast guards and ships. And no expensive monthly charges, or a emergency locator beacon is WAY more effective as it directly contacts you with authorities with your exact position, all on a click of a button, regardless of where you are on the world, far more effective as a emergency back up device. And agian no service fees.

If you NEED to contact your family to say you are alright or whatever then use spot, its basically the same thing but far cheaper, sometimes close to free.

This is a $200 gimmick with a expensive monthly service fee and nothing more. There are so many alternatives and better options, its time to move onto the future. Too many of us are staying in the past with our $100 car dashboard GPS's and paying for new maps and such, all of which agian you can get free on your phone. There are so many free or cheap alternatives, simply open your eyes and stop staying in the past. There is a reason these things are dying out and going up for sale on huge discounts. Its because they are worthless pieces of plastic intended to rip you off and nothing more.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
grey2112

Quote:
You dont need cell service to use gps, but for the send and txt I agree thats something? But why would you need it? There are also cellphone boosters which use a external antenna and creates your own cell hot spot for $15 on ebay, which the expensive overpriced models costing under $150, still beating this any day. Plus you get internet. They have a limited range of 20-30 miles, but that agian is more then enough for most people.

But agian why would you need cell and texting? If for a emergency a VHF is FAR better and cheaper, as it directly contacts you with local coast guards and ships. And no expensive monthly charges, or a emergency locator beacon is WAY more effective as it directly contacts you with authorities with your exact position, all on a click of a button, regardless of where you are on the world, far more effective as a emergency back up device. And agian no service fees.

If you NEED to contact your family to say you are alright or whatever then use spot, its basically the same thing but far cheaper, sometimes close to free.

This is a $200 gimmick with a expensive monthly service fee and nothing more. There are so many alternatives and better options, its time to move onto the future. Too many of us are staying in the past with our $100 car dashboard GPS's and paying for new maps and such, all of which agian you can get free on your phone. There are so many free or cheap alternatives, simply open your eyes and stop staying in the past. There is a reason these things are dying out and going up for sale on huge discounts. Its because they are worthless pieces of plastic intended to rip you off and nothing more.
There's a saying in the SEALs - "Two is one, and one is none."

Redundancy. My VHF is great, when there are enough other VHFs in range to bounce the signal to the Coast Guard. What happens if my VHF, antenna, or batteries on the boat go out or get fried? My handheld VHF is very limited in range. My wife likes to know I'm OK, coming back in, or delayed due to an issue - my SPOT that I have (I don't have the inReach, but almost got it) sends messages and tracks my location as well.

I like redundancies and backups when I know I'm WAY outside normal communication ranges.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
rowow

Quote:
There's a saying in the SEALs - "Two is one, and one is none."

Redundancy. My VHF is great, when there are enough other VHFs in range to bounce the signal to the Coast Guard. What happens if my VHF, antenna, or batteries on the boat go out or get fried? My handheld VHF is very limited in range. My wife likes to know I'm OK, coming back in, or delayed due to an issue - my SPOT that I have (I don't have the inReach, but almost got it) sends messages and tracks my location as well.

I like redundancies and backups when I know I'm WAY outside normal communication ranges.
As I stated a personal locator beacon would be a great backup. These are used in all commercial vessels from cargo ships to fishing boats and so forth. In a click of a button the coast guard and other coastal forces will automatically know your exact location and attempt to find you. These save lives, texting 911 you are in danger is not...

This device covers such a broad niche of things that its useless for anything specific. If you want communication, spot, which is far cheaper. If you want a distress signal in any condition or place, PLB, which agian is cheaper with no subscription charges. If you want GPS, your phone, and agian, much cheaper and easier to use.

And if you want to communicate to your obsessive wife then get spot, agian much cheaper. But you have bigger problems at that point and no device will save you from that.

So for redundancy its far better to have 3 separate devices then 1, far lower chance of failure. If you are paranoid and want more, simply get more PLB's or other beacon systems. Again, much cheaper.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basskrieg View Post
Et al,

I have been back and forth lately over getting either a sat phone or a Garmin inReach. After researching the current inReach models in stores right now that are going for $399 and $499, I found a website called GPS City that has the inReach SE model for $219 and free shipping. This gives you all the texting/tracking capability of the latest inReach models but much cheaper.

See the URL below if interested...

That's a good deal. If I were running grounds trips often I'd buy one. Hard to justify it right now due to the ongoing subscription.

I'm working on selling my current boat and building a dedicated dive boat set up for grounds trips. I will definitely be adding this or a sat. phone. VHF won't reach a land base and there's no need to call the calvary with an EPIRB just for a tow or some other non-emergency.

On my trip out with Dan to the grounds they had a sat. phone. It was nice to call the wife and kids and let them know all is well when you're away from home diving for several days.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
zackistre

Basically anybody that wants to stay in touch with home over 40 miles offshore which in the gulf happens to a lot of us. Needs a satellite text or cell. Vhfs will rarely reach past that if no boats are closer. Epirbs are really only supposed to be used for real emergencies. Ex. Boat going down someone in critical condition, diver lost at sea etc.

I own a inreach and carry it with me offshore always. It has saved our ass when a vhf wouldn't reach anyone. We were able to use it to get my wife to give seatow our location and come get us. Also you can set 3 present texts to send to friends, wife and kids saying everythings is ok, heading in, running behind whatever you want. These are free unlimited sending with basic plan. Also if your crazy busy with work or have anybody with any medical emergencies onboard or home you can text back and forth with it linked to your phone from 100+miles offshore. I rarely use mine except for sending a preset saying everything is good and we are heading in. It is always on so I can know if anything happens to my kids or family through my wife. Great to have and heck of a lot cheaper than most satellite phones or plans
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:27 AM   #10
Manavie

Does many things thus Elim need for multiple devices. Brought one to Indo. Life is worth such a small price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
dctrjayyy

Quote:
As I stated a personal locator beacon would be a great backup. These are used in all commercial vessels from cargo ships to fishing boats and so forth. In a click of a button the coast guard and other coastal forces will automatically know your exact location and attempt to find you. These save lives, texting 911 you are in danger is not...

This device covers such a broad niche of things that its useless for anything specific. If you want communication, spot, which is far cheaper. If you want a distress signal in any condition or place, PLB, which agian is cheaper with no subscription charges. If you want GPS, your phone, and agian, much cheaper and easier to use.

And if you want to communicate to your obsessive wife then get spot, agian much cheaper. But you have bigger problems at that point and no device will save you from that.

So for redundancy its far better to have 3 separate devices then 1, far lower chance of failure. If you are paranoid and want more, simply get more PLB's or other beacon systems. Again, much cheaper.

Not really following you bro. You are sayign they are worthless then advising someone to buy 3 devices instead of one that can do them all. This is a gps, sat messenger, and emergency locator beacon all for less than $500 and $12/mo. I love mine.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrjayyy View Post
Not really following you bro. You are sayign they are worthless then advising someone to buy 3 devices instead of one that can do them all. This is a gps, sat messenger, and emergency locator beacon all for less than $500 and $12/mo. I love mine.
And I can get those three devices which does their job PROPERLY for under $200 and no monthly charges... So yeah, its a piece of garbage.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
grey2112

I'm still not understanding how, RowRow, you can send and receive text messages 30+ miles offshore for free or with no monthly charges.

As for "obsessive" wives, I call it common courtesy to let my partner know my status or if there are delays in returning from way offshore.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
rowow

Quote:
I'm still not understanding how, RowRow, you can send and receive text messages 30+ miles offshore for free or with no monthly charges.

As for "obsessive" wives, I call it common courtesy to let my partner know my status or if there are delays in returning from way offshore.
Its called cell phone boosters, and since everyone has a phone I consider it free... As for your wives, no its not. If your wife wants to know on the hour when you will be back, then thats obsessive.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #15
grey2112

Quote:
Its called cell phone boosters, and since everyone has a phone I consider it free... As for your wives, no its not. If your wife wants to know on the hour when you will be back, then thats obsessive.
I guess we have a difference of opinion on being a gentleman and partner. To each his own, I guess. Going on 28 years of wedded bliss and I'm not about to change.

As for cell phone boosters - may have to look into that - I didn't know you could extend the range that much. I'm seeing "up to 60% increased signal" being advertised, but if my signal dies at 8-10 miles offshore, would 60% increased signal allow for coverage 20-30 miles offshore?