Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Alfonso

iPhone as a GPS

I want to use my iPhone as a GPS when I'm out on a boat or kayak. I'll be in remote locations and I won't have a wifi connection.I'd like to be able to mark locations, plot and record routes, and have maps with fine detail that show bottom contours. The app should have an international database of maps, too. Can anyone suggest an app? Thanks!

Last edited by Alfonso; 04-16-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
vamforce

Re: iPhone as a GPS

Navionics
vamforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #3
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Lifeproof Nuud case [they aint cheap but worth it muckin round in boats]

Ovitalmap [free!] app loaded with both Google and Bing satellite imagery

do your route planning at home in Google Earth and export kml file straight to Ovital app

been using this setup for years and hasnt let me down. you cant beat having hi-res sat imagery with realtime position and routing, esp when diving and fishing, and navigating skinny water

Navionics for full plotting, routing, with charts showing nav aids etc - worth the $
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
Alfonso

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
phorcysFC

MiraTrex PRO CHARTS

MiraTrex

"The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun"
phorcysFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
jbsrq

I can second the use of Navionics. I have had it on my iPhone for years as a back up and to supplement my boat's electronics. I'll mark spots on it at the house and verify on my boat's garmin. I once even fished a tournament just using Navionics on an iPhone and a cheap ($150) bottom machine.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
Otis Driftwood
"the hold out pic"

I've had a life proof nuud fail and lost a phone. I've had a life proof Fre (5s) fail but I noticed when it was not wet adn replaced it. I tried other brands but people could not hear me on them. I still use lifeproof.

I stopped using Navionics when I bought the app and they replaced it 3 days later and did not support the old app. I use Gaia GPS Gia has free downloads including noaa charts, tons of different topo maps and arials. It also has a weather overlay.

I still have navionics us west on my phone. the chart resolution is similar.
the NAvionics US boating app has better resolution.
Otis Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

yeah, have gone thru a few lifeproofs on my iphone 5S in the four years ive had it. i wouldnt intentionally dunk it in that case but using it regularly for long ocean trips in small open boat it has kept the phone dry. Much prefer the Nuud over the Fre so your fingers are on the glass not a screen protector. latest iphone much brighter which shld help in open boat on sunny days. Water on the glass making touchscreen useless is still the big issue for open boat use, Rain-X helps a little but once really wet just have to dry glass and hand, which aint easy in wet rough weather!
None of the charts have any accuracy out here in Melanesia so hi-res sat imagery is essential, and Ovital the best app ive used, partic being able to control exactly what is cached and ensuring it stays there - had a few frustrating situations using google maps app where it had randomly lost the cached imagery, nor does google maps have the routing and tracking functions Ovital has.
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote