Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Postmortem
Eric

Best port to live close to

The wife and I are having having ideas of leaving Commiefornia and Texas is hih on the list. As far as fishing goes what is the best place to be close to? I primarily Spearfish but I also hook and line/fly fish. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys, Eric.
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
alejqandrocosmo
Alejandro

Re: Best port to live close to

From Port Aransas to South Padre island would be best as the blue water is closer. Freeport/Galveston will put you closer to Houston which is a great city but you will need to go out further offshore. In any case, I would recommend owning a boat if you plan on getting out often. Shore diving is a hit or miss. Good luck. Texas is a great place to live!
alejqandrocosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
jwhit88
March YT Madness

Send a message via AIM to jwhit88

I just moved to Galveston from Huntington Beach and really enjoy it here. Big change of pace from SoCal.

I can't offer any info on the offshore scene cause I have yet to get out there. I'm dying to shoot some fish though. Like alejqandrocosmo said, I think you gotta head out 40 to 60 miles to get to bluewater from Galveston. I haven't found any kind of shorediving in the area. If you surf it's a big downgrade.

I have been having fun with the inshore fishing, from what people are telling me it's slow right now and should really turn on once it warms up a bit more. Redfish and speckled trout are the norm R&R fishing in the bay. Can't wait for the bull redfish run!

I'm not having much connecting with meeting other spearo's in the area, it doesn't seem like the Texas guys are very active on this site. Would love to connect with you guys!

If you decide to come to Galveston, it's definitely not a bad choice!
jwhit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
alejqandrocosmo
Alejandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhit88 View Post
I just moved to Galveston from Huntington Beach and really enjoy it here. Big change of pace from SoCal.

I can't offer any info on the offshore scene cause I have yet to get out there. I'm dying to shoot some fish though. Like alejqandrocosmo said, I think you gotta head out 40 to 60 miles to get to bluewater from Galveston. I haven't found any kind of shorediving in the area. If you surf it's a big downgrade.

I have been having fun with the inshore fishing, from what people are telling me it's slow right now and should really turn on once it warms up a bit more. Redfish and speckled trout are the norm R&R fishing in the bay. Can't wait for the bull redfish run!

I'm not having much connecting with meeting other spearo's in the area, it doesn't seem like the Texas guys are very active on this site. Would love to connect with you guys!

If you decide to come to Galveston, it's definitely not a bad choice!
Sorry if noone has reached out to you yet. Right now conditions are shitty, so not a lot of action unless you go way offshore for wahoo. But send me a text and we can link up. 7134476218 (same goes for the original poster). Im no expert, but can try and guide you if noone else has.
Alejandro
alejqandrocosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
adriangarz1206

like alex mentioned there is always pros and cons , galveston has houston we dont have a major city down here but im 100 feet of water 10 miles out, i get bluewater on jetty every summer . plus i can go hunt wahoo early in the am 300 foot and come back and shoot snapper , ap, cobia, etc after lunch..check out my instagram the majority of tbe pics and footage is out brownsville south padre island ..adriangarz1206 same as my name here ..pm me if you have queztions
adriangarz1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

I live in San Antonio, I'd rather live in Brownsville. Like Cesar said,clear water at the jetties, and it is the best kept blue water secret on Planet Earth.
~~ Cheers.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Port Mansfield or SPI but PORT A / Corpus is Good

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
surfer349

I just moved to Austin...any divers here?

@slingshaft: tell me more?
surfer349 is offline   Reply With Quote