Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
SPI hunter

fin issues, any ideas

Firstly, I have an pair of snorkel fins and a pair of picasso freedive fins. When I go multiple days in a row, either set of fins will grind a hole on the outside of my foot just below the ankle bone. I would rather deal with it than wear some type of sock. However if this has happen to anyone else and you have another solution or a brand/model fin that doesn't do this please let me know.

And lastly what fins are the easiest to separate/reconnect the blade and durable for doing this many times. I feel that I am slowly destroying my picasso fins as the skinny ends of the pockets already seem to be wearing quickly from doing this only a handful of times, not to mention it is a bit of a pain. I break the fins down for travel to get them into a suitcase...

I have a breakdown gun and thus don't have as big a use for the sporttube as if I traveled with regular gun.
SPI hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: fin issues, any ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPI hunter View Post
Firstly, I have an pair of snorkel fins and a pair of picasso freedive fins. When I go multiple days in a row, either set of fins will grind a hole on the outside of my foot just below the ankle bone. I would rather deal with it than wear some type of sock. However if this has happen to anyone else and you have another solution or a brand/model fin that doesn't do this please let me know.

And lastly what fins are the easiest to separate/reconnect the blade and durable for doing this many times. I feel that I am slowly destroying my picasso fins as the skinny ends of the pockets already seem to be wearing quickly from doing this only a handful of times, not to mention it is a bit of a pain. I break the fins down for travel to get them into a suitcase...

I have a breakdown gun and thus don't have as big a use for the sporttube as if I traveled with regular gun.
happens to me too - I use some medical tape and put a few layers before I go diving - works every time
Old 01-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
hatterasfreedvr

Cressi Gara 2000s or 3000s.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
SPI hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterasfreedvr View Post
Cressi Gara 2000s or 3000s.
hatteras
did you have fins chewing holes in the sides of your feet as well... and above fins do not do that? Or are these fins easy to disassemble/reassemble?

thanks for the feedback guys

Old 01-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPI hunter View Post
hatteras
did you have fins chewing holes in the sides of your feet as well... and above fins do not do that? Or are these fins easy to disassemble/reassemble?

thanks for the feedback guys

The Cressi Garas don't wear down your foot. They are super comfortable but are one piece so can't be broken down.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
primalpete

Cressi Garas. I had the same problem until I bought them.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

You have several options. First look into a thin 2mm low top Argos booties. You'll barely realize you're wearing them and they'll protect your feet. Second check out our GFT Carbon fins, we've got an awesome deal on them and you can remove the foot pocket for travel. If that's out of your price range check out some composite fins; both pairs are going to be a big step up from plastics and will last you a long time.

Free two day shipping and tax free outside of FL.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
PikeInSalt

I had the same issue when I started diving. Fins would eat a hole on the outside of my foot, just below the ankle. I hate the feeling of socks or booties in freedive fins so i pushed through the pain and developed a nice callus there. I also bought a pair of fin keepers from Neptonics, they are cheap and stopped the footpocket from rubbing against that area. I think they cost $5 so if you dont like them, its not a big loss.
PikeInSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
diveincanada

Mares razor
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
eddiebrs

I had the same problem. Like someone said above, look up fin keepers. Athletic tape works well too just make sure you cover your foot from the heel up to the ankle or the fin will just peel the tape off. Also, you can get thin dive socks and cut them just below the heel so youre just using them to cover your ankle and heel. These are lycra, really thin. You can also find 1mm.

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-See-Elas...cra+dive+socks
eddiebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
SPI hunter

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have tried on a bunch of fins and had ordered the cressi gara professional. The portion just below the ankle bone is cut significantly lower than any other fin the local shop had in stock. It will not even get close to touching the area that I have had the skin torn up in the past. Now hopefully the problem will be taken care of for local hunting.

Just need a solution for traveling as they do not fit in my largest suitcase. I may have to do the fin keepers or the tape idea...

Side note... I noticed that the cressi "LD" fins which are softer to reduce fatigue on the leg muscles are actually a bit stiff stiffer than my picasso fin blades. So for those looking for soft blades picasso wins for sure.

Again thanks for all the input!

Last edited by SPI hunter; 02-16-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
SPI hunter

Update: I trimmed my picasso's down (2 3/4 inches) so they fit in luggage, at least for now will use these for travel. I am bringing some tape with so hopefully they won't tear up my skin.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
hatterasfreedvr

I've heard the sizing on the gara professional fins is off. Make sure they fit snug or you will still get those chewed up feet. I wear a size 12 shoe and the cress 10-11 fit perfectly barefoot. Nice job on the cut blades by the way
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
humpinit

Another cheap option to help with the chaffing is to cut down a pair of pantyhose into a sock. Cheap, effective, and you barely know there there.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #15
diveincanada

Why don't you get a long bag that can fit a good pair of fins? I got the Riffe castoff roller and my long fins fits no problem.
I also think that unless you're diving every week and your skin gets thicker, it will always grind your skin whatever the fins.. So tape it up or wear socks. And socks are great when you're shore diving from some rocky spots.
Good luck!

Last edited by diveincanada; 03-08-2017 at 04:57 PM.
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote