Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo
cabo dive and surf

When I got to the beach this morning to go for a dive with a friend, I immediately noticed the head high shore pound. Rather than turn back we decided to dive. Conditions are still the same. Air temp lo 64, high 85, water 79ish. The water visibility was really clear untill we got to the man made structure and then it became dirty because of the south swell. I got a sierra and a yellow snapper. The normal residents, pargo and cabrilla, were nowhere to be found. I did have a couple of missed shots at a swarming school of milkfish. They ranged between 5 and 15 pounds and seemed to know what I wanted so they kept their distance but they hung around and I got to watch them. I'm glad I didn't get one because from what I've read I would have spent the rest of day picking out hundreds of bones and I wouldn't of had time to catch some waves. Waves were 3-5'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB250081 (600x800).jpg
Views:	839
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	88021   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB250079 (800x600).jpg
Views:	868
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	88022  

Last edited by stevencabo; 11-26-2008 at 08:22 AM.
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
stevencabo
tercermundista

Re: cabo dive and surf

I've been getting fish since I last posted on this thread, pargo, cabrlla and a sand dab. However, this week was non productive as far as stocking the fridge goes. I went out at three different locations within a week and all were relatively empty. I have a feeling that things are slowing down. My last dive yesterday was at a breakwater and I did get a shot off at a decent size pargo but it was too quick for me and hid back inside the rocks. Poking around the rocks waiting for it to show himself, the surf surge stranded me a couple of times and left me high and dry on top of the rocks. It made me think the surf must be coming up. When I got home, I checked the surf report and sure enough surf was supposed to come up. Got some waves this morning from one of those infrequent winter south swell. After a week of getting skunked, the surf came up at just the right time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040230 (800x600).jpg
Views:	649
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	91597   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040226 (800x600).jpg
Views:	684
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	91598  
Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

That's a nice right; great shots of the surf, keep em coming
FishDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Pfish

Stevie!

Too bad you don't know how to surf....
Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Silentspear
Seal-pup polespear-er

Gasp!!! It's heaven!!!!!!!!!

Silentspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
stevencabo
tercermundista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfish View Post
Stevie!

Too bad you don't know how to surf....
I can't surf, can't spear a fish, guess I'll just hang at mermaids.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
stevencabo
tercermundista

No dive, no surf, gotta work so I can dive and surf. This is how the conditions looked today. Ther weather's been cool, lo 60's to mid 70's. There's been recent fishing reports of yellowtail being caught locally. They showed up on the fish tables today at the market. 5.50 a pound. I gotta spear me one of those.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1070245 (800x600).jpg
Views:	490
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	91887   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070247 (800x600).jpg
Views:	551
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	91888  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
stevencabo
tercermundista

So, my plan was to visit a friend who house sits out on the east cape, go for a dive then watch the super bowl. The spot is a pretty big shipwreck that broke into two pieces that lays upside down in about forty to fifty feet of water. It's about 500 yards of shore and is popular spot among fishermen and spearos. It's well known because it can hold some big pargo.
So I swim out with low expectations. The last two times I was out at this spot I saw nothing but milkfish. I come to the first section of the wreck, which is the propeller that comes to about 10 feet from the surface. I see a couple of small cabrilla's and decide to pursue them because I thought that they might be all that I'd get. Normally cabrillas run and hide but these two were curious enough and I was able to get them both. I start slowly kicking over to the other part of the wreck which usually holds the most fish. I didn't know it untill I almost swam into him, but there was already someone on the spot. I knew him and I know he is an experienced diver. We exchange niceities and he proceeds tell me "keep your eyes up on the surface because wahoo are coming through chasing the ballywhoo,,,,,oh, and there are five big snapper at the end of the wreck that you can almost feed." He had been out awhile and was cold so he swam back in while I made my way towards the end of the wreck. Trying to keep my eyes on the surface I was quickly distracted by the large shapes below me at forty feet. There were probably five of them and they were outside of the wreck and they were big, a couple in the 40lb range. I dove down expecting them to all scatter back into the wreck. I get to the bottom and looked up to see they were still there. I stayed still as long as I could before making a move. I had two in my field of vision, the big one kept his distance but the other smaller one turned towards me and started getting closer, I focused on him and as soon as he started to turn away from me he was close enough to take the shot. I keep cable on my gun because of this scenario. As soon as you spear one they go right back into a wreck that's full of rusted sharp edges that will cut you off quicker than rich parents cutting of thier no good kids.. I've even had my cable shredded enough where there were just a couple of strands left. It felt like I got a solid shot and I quickly started taking out the slack before he could get back into the wreck. He was able to just get his head under before I got the cable tightened. I knew that if I kept the line tight he wouldn't be able to get further inside the wreck and really tangle me. Some minutes went by before the fish got tired and I pulled him out and tied him off. After that I was getting ready to swim in when I look up and see a panga right next to me. It happened to be a friend of mine that lives here also. He RENTED A PANGA FOR THE DAY , and took his wife and kid out for a day of fishing and spearing. He stopped off at the wreck before heading back to port at la playita. By the expression on my face he knew what was below me and quickly jumped in. I had spooked the pargo by this time, and they were running from him, but on what was going to be his last freedive he speared a much bigger one than I got.
Swam back in, cleaned and dressed the pargo, sat down and watched a good football game. I thought Springsteen put on a good halftime show.
I also thought about the first guy that was in the water before me. He had giant trophy pargo underneath him but he passed on those and was waiting for the wahoo or dorado to swim by. I guess the longer you do this the more selective you become.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2010358 (800x600).jpg
Views:	452
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	94103   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2010362 (640x480).jpg
Views:	560
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	94104   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2010367 (800x600).jpg
Views:	500
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	94105  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
WESTBURY

StevenCabo said:
"that will cut you off quicker than rich parents cutting of thier no good kids.."
Good one!
Nice report.

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Bent Tip

Great pargo - congrats!

I always enjoy reading your reports - they're some great inspiration for those of us land and/or ice locked for the winter. Keep 'em coming and thanks. Bent Tip
Bent Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
stevencabo
tercermundista

Conditions are still nice. Water is in the low 70's and still clear. Air temps are reaching into the hi 70's to the lo 80's. I went out with a buddy and we got a couple more. I should be done for awhile. I'm pargo'd out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2040378 (640x480).jpg
Views:	450
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	94327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2040379 (600x800).jpg
Views:	488
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	94328   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2040386 (800x600).jpg
Views:	441
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	94329  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
stevencabo
tercermundista

Conditions have not been ideal for shore diving. We've been having lots of windy days. Green water is here and colder water is just around the corner on the pacific side. The southern hemishpere is sending south swell pulses to stir the water up even more. The water temp is still nice in the lo 70's. I got out early to beat the wind and found this little cabrilla. It ripped off on the first shot. I luckily found him again a half an hour later and got it with a second shot. I'm gonna cook him using the asian style recipe. The crackling sound of the hot ginger oil being poured over the fish sounds good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4010786 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	98770   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4010790 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	98771  
Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
stevencabo
tercermundista

Conditions still aren't so hot for shore diving. A combination of green water and the fish not being in there usual spots have made us go out a couple times in search of fish in other places. Both times failures.
The first time we thought we'd walk down the beach to the point. We could see a shore fisherman almost at the point so we thought we go just past him. The closer we got to him and the more we rounded the point, the more fisherman we'd find and the more we'd have to continue walking, untill we found ourselves in the middle of a shore fishing tournament. No fish taken.
The next time we decided to go a little farther out of our comfort zone by driving a couple hours north. We attempted to revisit a place that we had previously been to by boat. We thought we could just walk and swim to the same spot. We only made it about half way when we decided to crawl out of the water and use the private dirt roads of a development project to see where we were. Since there were no fish we headed back to the car. we took a road that we thought would take us up and over the same hill that we had just swam around. We ended up taking a road that just took us around,,,and around the hill instead of down the hill. Finally a security gaurd found us and showed us a goat trail that would get us back to our car. He walked with us most of the way, chuckling at us two gringos pussy footin there way down a steep hillside full of cactus in their bare feet and wetsuits, and gear.
We went out this morning and had to come back with something. We each got a goat fish, mine being a personal best, woo hoo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0014.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	99326   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040807 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	99327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040812 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	304
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	99328   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090839 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	307
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	99329  
Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
PistoleroDelMar
Pistolero Del Mar

Send a message via MSN to PistoleroDelMar

Is the 3rd Picture Bahia de los suenos?

I love that place!
PistoleroDelMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
stevencabo
tercermundista

Yes it is, 2nd and 3rd picture. It's a beautifull spot. Even the pangas didn't catch much that day. They were all fishing out by the island. We only saw one boat that came back with fish, a 40ish lb yellowtail, and a 30ish lb pargo. We even saw a group of spearos come back with no fish.